Turn on thread page Beta

Hello

I'm not a Sussex student yet (though I do live here!) but was wondering if any of you have any experience or are currently doing either MPhys or BSc physics at Sussex uni?

Basically I was studing with OU, only level 1 but due to changes i've decided i'm not at all happy with it so am going to do A-levels and then try for Sussex.

I'm interested in Research first and foremost, and I understand that the Sussex MPhys is good for this, but would it be as adequate as doing a bachelors followed by a masters? :confused:

Opinions and advice please!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there - you do know Sussex has a foundation year and you may qualify for that without A levels?

Mostly though, it doesn't matter if you do BSc or MPhys, you can change any time in your first few years (it's only a form to fill in and get signed)

The reason why most people choose MPhys over BSc followed by MSc is a matter of funding - The MSc costs you, and you can't get a loan from the SLC to help you (you can get a CDL but they have interest and you need to start paying back straight away). Both are perfectly acceptable - and a lot of the MSci students go on to do very prestigious Phds

If I can help any more, please let me - I'm a Physics student at Sussex myself

Hi Antimatter

Big thanks for your reply - I didn't know about the foundation year at Sussex but i've just looked it up and it sounds good, I shall now be making enquiries thanks to you :cool:

Good to know that the MPhys is acceptable, they seem to have a good range to choose from anyway. Definitely want to make the right choice this time!

Thanks again, will be in touch with questions no doubt

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Sussex
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.