Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am just wondering does everyone put the heating on when it is absolutely freezing in winter, I do not as I don't want to have huge energy bills

you hear of people getting bills for like a grand in the new year
    my gas bill is less then £200 a year

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd rather pay a bit than get sick. I don't have it on all the time though as I can't afford it.

ReputationRep:
    I try to avoid it, but sometimes it is a must. If possible, I try to put on a fire instead. I'm thinking of buying a stove for my fire place however I think they're like £400 cheapest!

ReputationRep:
    We had it on 6-8 and 8-10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Yeah, I'd rather pay a bit than get sick. I don't have it on all the time though as I can't afford it.
    I know some student on my course who have to pay out a fortune for their utility bills in the winter.

I am used to being cold and not using heating, it feels unatural to me

ReputationRep:
    At uni halls the heating is always on and it gets so hot I have to leave the window open and take off my shirt!

ReputationRep:
    Usually an hour or two in the morning and then a few hours in the evening. I HATE being cold but can cope during the day

ReputationRep:
    I never put heating on, I just wear more clothes or wrap up with a blanket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    We had it on 6-8 and 8-10.

gas these days is incredably expensive,
    are you looking forward to getting your large gas bill?

buy a cheap electric heater, it will use far less energy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    gas these days is incredably expensive,
    are you looking forward to getting your large gas bill?

buy a cheap electric heater, it will use far less energy
    Our bills weren't to bad. Around £40 per quarter each over winter. That's with a gas cooker too.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live now my bills are inclusive but when I paid for my bills separately we did limit our heating to certain hours like early morning and late evening so we didn't get ill.

ReputationRep:
    If i had the choice I would- i hate being cold, but as it is my parents don't want big bills so we barely ever have it on (consequently our house is usually cold enough to see your breath in winter...) Can't wait to move into halls that have proper heating!

ReputationRep:
    Heating is always on at my house, not just the winter but in autumn too! It's been on for about 5-6 hours since morning today, I can't stand the cold neither can my family.

Look forward to moving to Abu Dhabi in a few years :yep: there's no such thing as central heating only central air conditioning :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    At home I tend to turn the heating off in my room and live with jumpers and blankets. I'm quite good at dealing with the cold.

Here in Leicester we're probably going to leave the heating off until it's really winter.

ReputationRep:
    Only during daylight savings months and only when I'm at home.

ReputationRep:
    Last year in our student house we only had it on about 2 hours a day, still our heating bills were well over £500! To be fair our house was so drafty and our heating didn't work right.
    Hoping to have it on in our new flat soon tho, hopefully it wont cost so much either

ReputationRep:
    My mum is a complete wuss when it comes to the cold, from November til March our heating is on.

My rooms not too bad it's south facing so in winter it still gets warmed by the sun, plus my computer does a pretty decent job heating my room.

ReputationRep:
    In my parents house; yes, but in my student house we have a rule that we never put the heating on. We survived last year relatively easy and are doing it again this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollo)
    I never put heating on, I just wear more clothes or wrap up with a blanket.
    This When I lived at my parents I had my radiator on in my room literally all the time, but now that I have to pay my own bills I appreciate the value of money aha so I've bought some lovely comfy hoodies and cardys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefg56789)
    I know some student on my course who have to pay out a fortune for their utility bills in the winter.

I am used to being cold and not using heating, it feels unatural to me
    We did in 2nd year because the people I was with had it on 24/7 from October to May.

I'm used to being cold because we don't have it on a lot at home cos it costs a lot but we will put it on for a few hours a day.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.