Turn on thread page Beta

UnderGrad degree and almost a years experience or a PostGrad degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    I finished uni this year, BA hons in Management and Accountancy. I only got results within last month as I was ill during assessments before so had to resit during summer.

I didnt get a great grade so cant apply for most grad jobs, ive only been applying for grad jobs for about a month because I didnt get my results, but Ive been applying for non grad jobs for around 3 months.

Ive only gotten about 4 interviews in the last 3 months for non graduate jobs and didnt get the job, and didnt even get a response for the graduate jobs ive applied for.

I got in contact with an agency that offer voluntary work, been trying to get experience through them for about 6 weeks, but they only got back to me this week, and asked me to go for an interview to do unpaid work assisting a management accountant, the interviews next week.

Post grads went back to my uni this week, and I checked uni and they still have placements left, but I'll have to start pretty much straight away.

I dont have a good ba degree, but that was due to being ill, not because I wasnt capable of getting a better grade. But ive been told employers dont particularly care about a masters degree if you havent got a good grade at undergraduate level, so a postgraduate degree probably wont really help me.

If I do want to do postgraduate I have to tell uni now, but I dont know which would be better. If I do get the unpaid work assisting the management accounting, then I can keep that untill I find a better job. So this time next year, would it be better to have the experience or the masters degree?

Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the experience. If you want to be an accountant you'll need to do an accounting qualification - the masters won't help at all with this

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.