Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I finished uni this year, BA hons in Management and Accountancy. I only got results within last month as I was ill during assessments before so had to resit during summer.

I didnt get a great grade so cant apply for most grad jobs, ive only been applying for grad jobs for about a month because I didnt get my results, but Ive been applying for non grad jobs for around 3 months.

Ive only gotten about 4 interviews in the last 3 months for non graduate jobs and didnt get the job, and didnt even get a response for the graduate jobs ive applied for.

I got in contact with an agency that offer voluntary work, been trying to get experience through them for about 6 weeks, but they only got back to me this week, and asked me to go for an interview to do unpaid work assisting a management accountant, the interviews next week.

Post grads went back to my uni this week, and I checked uni and they still have placements left, but I'll have to start pretty much straight away.

I dont have a good ba degree, but that was due to being ill, not because I wasnt capable of getting a better grade. But ive been told employers dont particularly care about a masters degree if you havent got a good grade at undergraduate level, so a postgraduate degree probably wont really help me.

If I do want to do postgraduate I have to tell uni now, but I dont know which would be better. If I do get the unpaid work assisting the management accounting, then I can keep that untill I find a better job. So this time next year, would it be better to have the experience or the masters degree?

Thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the experience. If you want to be an accountant you'll need to do an accounting qualification - the masters won't help at all with this

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.