Turn on thread page Beta

3 days in London -how much spending money? watch

ReputationRep:
    How much spending money should me and my boyfriend take to London for 3 days? For public transport, meals (excluding breakfast), cafés, pubs, tickets, etc.

I know everyone's spending is different and this amount depends on your habits and things, but just give me a clue to begin the calculation with.

I'd say £70 a day and that's over-compensating...

£5.60 for unlimited travel in Zones 1 and 2 on buses and tubes

£10 for lunch and £20 for dinner.

The rest is drinking money and for shows/gigs/concerts

ReputationRep:
    Depending on how much shopping and stuff you're doing I'd say £200 would be a nice generous amount. If you're wanting to do it on the cheap you could probably get the whole trip for that amount -take the megabus, stay in a cheap hostel and limit yourself to one big meal a day. With £200 you'll be able to visit attractions and have meals out. Check out websites for discounted prebooked tickets as well as you can make some decent savings.

ReputationRep:
    I'd get some £75 (per person per day). You never know if an emergency might come, it's better to have more money than you need. Given you will eat in cheap places, of course. Otherwise... get a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Will you be travelling around on the tube? A travelcard costs around £7 all zones all day, then around £10-15 for food, then I would recommend about £50 for other activities, visiting sites, tours etc. Do you have your accomodation sorted?

Claire

ReputationRep:
    IMO, including 3 meals a day a budget of £100 per day would be good, if you can stretch to that.
    Remember that breakfast is likely £10, lunch £10 and dinner £20 as well as major attractions like the river trips, London Eye, Madame Tussauds Museum etc are 10 to 20 pounds a time.

ReputationRep:
    My suggestion is to plan in advance what you want to do. The stuff the person above suggested can all be booked online. Once you've done this you will have a much better idea of how much money you need to bring. You can skip breakfast, lunch is £5-10 and dinner £20 with drinks (you won't get 3 courses for that though).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well, the breakfast is included in the hotel rate. And it's a bufet breakfast, so we can make some sandwich for lunch, for example. (I did this several years ago when I stayed in the same hotel, so it's not a problem) For dinner, a chineese or indian little restaurant is far enough for us, so I guess meals won't cost a lot for us. It's the drinks, snacks, "street-food", and coffee which I'm afraid of in the first place. We both have been to London, so places like Madam Tussauds or the London Eye are not problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddorie)
    Yeah well, the breakfast is included in the hotel rate. And it's a bufet breakfast, so we can make some sandwich for lunch, for example. (I did this several years ago when I stayed in the same hotel, so it's not a problem) For dinner, a chineese or indian little restaurant is far enough for us, so I guess meals won't cost a lot for us. It's the drinks, snacks, "street-food", and coffee which I'm afraid of in the first place. We both have been to London, so places like Madam Tussauds or the London Eye are not problems.
    Which hotel is it that you're using? I might want to use it.

ReputationRep:
    Hotel Ibis London City http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-50...ty/index.shtml
    Not a glamourous hotel, but I've been there once so know that it's nice, clean and is in a great location (next to Aldgate East tube stop)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.