Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No of course not! Nobody should be doused in paint just because of what they choose to wear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    People and institutions (such as PETA) with such double standards make me sick. They say it's immoral and unethical to eat meat, wear fur, etc. yet the actions (dousing people wearing fur coats in paint, bashing certain companies, breaking into labs and destroying equipment) taken to get that point across are in fact the very avatar of what's immoral, unethical and actually illegal. With such in-your-face hypocrisy, how do you expect any rational human being to be sympathetic towards the given cause?
    I know this isn't directly aimed at me.

You ask whether rational people can be sympathetic to a cause that is championed by the hypocritical and the immoral - yes.

I expect rational people to make a clear distinction between a cause (animal rights) and it's high profile champions (the PETA).

I also expect them to see the good that those champions do, as well as the bad. I completely agree that the PETA is full of crooks, extremists and some frankly evil people but I also recognise that some of their undercover work and some of their exposés, not to mention the sheer weight of opinion they command and their ability to get people involved in the cause is worthy of note.

Just wish they'd stop killing animals, attacking people and destroying property

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.
    People who vote labour should be doused in paint

ReputationRep:
    Teveth, you are the best advert for the conservative party I have ever met.

ReputationRep:
    paint is just silly instead light them on fire

ReputationRep:
    No, they definitely should not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Just wish they'd stop killing animals, attacking people and destroying property
    Fine, this is a question directly aimed at you... I assume your statement that "using fur for clothing is sickening" comes from you believing that killing animals for such purpose is unethical and immoral. You also said that wearing fur should not be acceptable and you think people doing that should be doused in paint. So my question is this: if you're trying to promote fair and ethical treatment of animals then how come it's okay to treat other people (Homo sapiens actually being a species of animals as well!) and their property (that would be their coats) in such an unfair and unethical matter? How is that acceptable? In fact, the part I bolded: this is what you say you wish PETA would stop doing yet it is exactly what you said you support - dousing fur-wearing people in paint is attacking them and destroying their property. You're saying it's not OK if PETA does it but you're willing to support such action yourself... fighting immorality with immorality. It's hypocritical and irrational.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah lets do it! Then happy slap them.

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one. For example, my mother has a fur coat that was passed down from her mother. My mother didn't buy it, didn't fund the fur farms and doesn't believe in the fur industry. If she chose to wear that coat and someone doused her in paint, an innocent woman would have had an expensive heirloom ruined.

That said, buy wearing fur you send out the message that fur is acceptable. Same with fake fur - if it looks like fur, it's going to get people thinking that fur is a good thing. However, many cultures use fur as a very real tool to keep people warm, for example in Russia and Scandinavia. I don't agree with using animal products like that but I have to accept that in some countries it isn't just about fashion, it is also about actually providing warmth for people while they live and work in a very, very cold environment. Not everyone can afford an expensive Goretex jacket and in some places fur is easier and cheaper to get, and more durable. Do I have the right to be a cultural imperialist about that?

Does the destruction of property get out-weighed by the long term deterrent that paint-throwing might have on fur wearers?

To be honest, while I would want to spit blood and bile at anyone wearing fur in the UK, I also believe that education and compassion are the best ways of getting people to realise that the vast majority of animals killed for fur are mistreated and not used for other things such as food.

People have the right to walk the streets without fear of attack, even if we disagree with what they are doing and what they believe in.
    Totally agree.

I don't think the "what about leather" argument is valid at all, really, since leather is a by-product of the meat industry, whereas the fur trade mostly revolves around killing animals solely for their fur (and, by extension, for fashion). I think this is pretty different. That being said, I totally disagree with the OP. Barbaric yobbish behaviour is never going to solve anything.

Fine, this is a question directly aimed at you... I assume your statement that "using fur for clothing is sickening" comes from you believing that killing animals for such purpose is unethical and immoral. You also said that wearing fur should not be acceptable and you think people doing that should be doused in paint. So my question is this: if you're trying to promote fair and ethical treatment of animals then how come it's okay to treat other people (Homo sapiens actually being a species of animals as well!) and their property (that would be their coats) in such an unfair and unethical matter? How is that acceptable? In fact, the part I bolded: this is what you say you wish PETA would stop doing yet it is exactly what you said you support - dousing fur-wearing people in paint is attacking them and destroying their property. You're saying it's not OK if PETA does it but you're willing to support such action yourself... fighting immorality with immorality. It's hypocritical and irrational.
    Erm, the person you quoted (whom I have also quoted above) is NOT the OP. In fact, she disagrees with the OP.

ReputationRep:
    erm no, it might be second hand in which case it wouldnt have contributed to the demand for fur at all...the animal's long since been thecoat, someone might as well wear it

also, what about leather? and suede? and eating meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacktri)
    paint is just silly instead light them on fire
    So why don't you burn every meat eater in the country? People don't need to eat meat, there are many viable alternatives that do not involve the slaughter of animals. Your shocking double standard astounds me and my chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Erm, the person you quoted (whom I have also quoted above) is NOT the OP. In fact, she disagrees with the OP.
    Oops, my bad. Seemed so much like the 'right' answer (in a way defending PETA after all) that I didn't even bother to check. :o: The question (the actual content of which is still valid) is obviously meant for the OP, as was my first post.

ReputationRep:
    Teveth, I like you because you allow me to hate everything you stand for.

ReputationRep:
    No you shouldn't cover someone in paint because they don't believe what you do.

My view on furs is that if the animal is going to be killed anyway surely it is better to use as much of the animal as we can. However, if the animal is going to be killed just for fur then no I don't agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alissasantiago)
    :facepalm: That is the exact opposite to wasteful...
    Maybe I should rephrase - using something just for its fur and throwing everything else away is wasteful. Get what I mean now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    So what? Are non-fur hats not available?

Nobody needs to wear fur.
    Probably not that would keep you as warm when it was -40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Totally agree.

I don't think the "what about leather" argument is valid at all, really, since leather is a by-product of the meat industry, whereas the fur trade mostly revolves around killing animals solely for their fur (and, by extension, for fashion). I think this is pretty different. That being said, I totally disagree with the OP. Barbaric yobbish behaviour is never going to solve anything.
    A lot of leather is actually produced produced abroad (oftn in 3rd world communities) and while the animals are also used for meat, there are much, much lower welfare standards for the animals. Not that UK farms and slaughterhouses are actually that much better, but at least they have some standards.

It's a sad world we live in.

Erm, I didn't actually defend throwing paint over people. I considered whether such behaviour could be a good long-term deterrent but came to the conclusion that it was not a reasonable way to approach the problem. I specifically stated that while I hate fur as an industry and those who support it, I believe that education is the way to stop people buying it for fashion.

Did you actually read my post?

ReputationRep:
    Did you actually read my post?
    See a few posts back, I quoted you by mistake. My posts weren't actually meant for you but the OP.

ReputationRep:
    That said, buy wearing fur you send out the message that fur is acceptable. Same with fake fur - if it looks like fur, it's going to get people thinking that fur is a good thing. However, many cultures use fur as a very real tool to keep people warm, for example in Russia and Scandinavia.
    As I heard this Russian winter will be a cold one, but rather usual winter for us. Although I don't trust to infornation about even tomorrow weather overhere, after such a hot summer. Several years ago we had one winter which was like the begin of spring and only several cold days.
    And at the time when I was at school, that was rather usual, that they closed the schools for several winter days every year, cause they couldn't keep enough warm in the buildings.
    Most of all I don't like Moscow metro right now. It's too hot overthere, and in the street it's always raining. Yesteaday after I got to cold train from hot metro, I felt the temperature difference a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what's so bad about killing animals for their fur compared to killing them for their meat? :confused:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.