Turn on thread page Beta

Should people who wear fur be doused in paint? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Fur wearers should be doused in blood. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    That would remind them that their furs were taken from the flayed bodies of animals.
    Pfft, who cares? I need a fur coat for the bitter winter here in rural England. This is the one I have at the moment.

As a committed meat-eater, I'd feel like a hypocrite if I wore anything other than fur.

ReputationRep:
    Do you eat meat? Wear leather? There is no need for any animals to be killed to feed or clothe you but you do it anyway, so just stfu and stop being a hypocrite.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that we should dedicate all our efforts to exterminating the awful exploitation and poverty of humans around the world before we start to worry about other species.

ReputationRep:
    For everyone who's saying that wearing fur is no worse than wearing leather I think that they should know a little more before they feel they can make self-satisfied conclusive comments.

Fur is either trapped or farmed. Fur farms involve animals being kept in wire cages and exposed to the elements. Fur which is trapped often results in the animals chewing their own limbs of to escape the snares and results in a drawn-out bloody death either way.

Leather is a by-product of the meat industry. Although the meat industry in itself is not ideal, it is at least regulated to some degree in this country whereas fur is solely sourced from abroud (often China).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Pfft, who cares? I need a fur coat for the bitter winter here in rural England. This is the one I have at the moment.

As a committed meat-eater, I'd feel like a hypocrite if I wore anything other than fur.
    lol? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0ple55)
    I believe that we should dedicate all our efforts to exterminating the awful exploitation and poverty of humans around the world before we start to worry about other species.

Oh, so since there's one worse problem we shouldn't bother at all trying to make other things better? People who come up with this age-old answer to animal rights issues often don't do anything to try to help humans either. It's just lazyness and over-simplifying the issue. Because one problem's bigger than another doesn't mean that the lesser problem shouldn't be dealt with where possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHyacinthGirl)
    Oh, so since there's one worse problem we shouldn't bother at all trying to make other things better? People who come up with this age-old answer to animal rights issues often don't do anything to try to help humans either. It's just lazyness and over-simplifying the issue. Because one problem's bigger than another doesn't mean that the lesser problem shouldn't be dealt with where possible.
    If people are prepared to devote their time and money and mind to making the world better, i believe that they should devote those things to the biggest issue. I don't think there is any point campaigning for animal rights when human right abuses are far more numerous and pressing. I do believe in combatting the biggest issues first and with maximum resources. Not doing so would be rather silly imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    If you had a country whose fur consumption amounted to 500,000 fur items of clothing a year, and the following year a 50 people who wore them were doused in paint - followed by news coverage/discussion, and this happened for a few years....you can be sure that fur consumption would fall.
    Or perhaps we could murder anyone who wears fur? Then they wouldn't be able to buy a new one and eventually people would stop doing it for fear of being murdered. While we're at it, why don't we murder everyone who expresses any opinions or beliefs that we don't agree with as well, then they'd stop doing that. Screw freedom!

ReputationRep:
    ...I should probably point out I'm against the fur industry, but I don't see how essentially attacking people who aren't (with paint or without) is going to solve anything. I am also not pro murder or the wiping out of religious groups. My previous comment is intended to be sarcastic!

ReputationRep:
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.

I enjoy your threads teveth. You leave a trail of torie jaws all over this forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm an atheist.
    Sabre, your debating/biking friend is here to back you up. Haha! Completely differant ends of the spectrum, but still... :p:

Topic:

No. They shouldn't. Its their choice to wear them, and so an animal dies to make one - Well, why don't you look back before they had meterials such as Nylon, before they could create woolen and cotton clothing - Then you'll see that EVERYONE wore one. Do you know why? They'd die if they didn't. 'Twas the middle of an Ice-Age.

Get of your high horse. Yes, I do love Animals, an awful lot. If you want a fur coat, we'll make you a Minc one. Those are Animals you wont miss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'm an atheist.
    Sabre, your debating/biking friend is here to back you up. Haha! Completely differant ends of the spectrum, but still... :p:

Topic:

No. They shouldn't. Its their choice to wear them, and so an animal dies to make one - Well, why don't you look back before they had meterials such as Nylon, before they could create woolen and cotton clothing - Then you'll see that EVERYONE wore one. Do you know why? They'd die if they didn't. 'Twas the middle of an Ice-Age.

Get of your high horse. Yes, I do love Animals, an awful lot. If you want a fur coat, we'll make you a Minc one. Those are Animals you wont miss.

ReputationRep:
    PETA is full of dicks, fur lasts much longer than synthetics, and most fur are antiques these days now that the fur industry has begun to die, making it even more expensive then its ever been before. By throwing red paint on such items is a totally **** move.

ReputationRep:
    If I could afford to buy a fur coat, I would. If someone threw paint over it, I'd just buy a new one. The people wear fur, surprisingly enough, don't have a problem with it. And since not everyone is an insane idiot, having on lunatic throw paint at you wouldn't stop you wearing fur. The people who would be bullied by such tactics are those who weren't sure about wearing fur in the first place. And those people tend not to wear it in the first place.

And anyone who eats non-organic meat and loathes fur is a complete hypocrite. We don't need meat to survive, we eat it because it's convenient and tasty. If meat was made illegal tomorrow, the human race wouldn't die out. Killing an animal for meat is no more necessary than killing it for fur, and that one is reviled and the other isn't is just plain idiocy.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like tories same as the next sensible hardworking bloke, but this aint a political thread, it's about fur.

Tbh, I don't mind fur but the people wearing it are usually massive fashion obsessed cocks, if people have an objection to it and they wish to express their anger by throwing paint. Do it, it's their right. As long as they understand it works both ways and are prepared to get into a fight about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.
    I am not really for or against it but i would just like to know why are you against fur?

ReputationRep:
    No different from eating meat. Both are for human pleasure and consumption. Neither are vital to survive.

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal.
    Nanny state supporter?

While personally I don't wear fur, mind your own buisiness. I don't understand why so many people see the criminal law as the answer to something they don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    See a few posts back, I quoted you by mistake. My posts weren't actually meant for you but the OP.
    Ah, I see. No worries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h0ple55)
    If people are prepared to devote their time and money and mind to making the world better, i believe that they should devote those things to the biggest issue. I don't think there is any point campaigning for animal rights when human right abuses are far more numerous and pressing. I do believe in combatting the biggest issues first and with maximum resources. Not doing so would be rather silly imo.
    Good answer, and I do agree that if you're the type of person who would actively do something about either then the human rights problems should win every time. I just get angry at people who use the 'there's a bigger problem elsewhere' excuse to do nothing about either, and to sweep the lesser issue under the carpet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.