Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should people who wear fur be doused in paint? watch

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to wear fur in the UK, so I think it's wrong to wear it here.

If you tried living in Eastern Europe or Russia in the winter (-40c) then it might be different. Everybody wears fur there because nothing else keeps you as warm or lasts as long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Can anyone tell me what's so bad about killing animals for their fur compared to killing them for their meat? :confused:
    It isn't much worse, to be honest.

Here are the points of contention:

1) Animal welfare - are the animals well cared for? The UK has relatively strict animal welfare standards for the treatment of animals used for meat and in slaughterhouses but the UK (to my knowledge) doesn't have a big fur industry. I think it may even be illegal to produce animals for fur in the UK. This means that a lot of fur comes from aborad, where there may be very lax animal welfare regulations.

2) Killing method - many animals are killed in very, very painful ways in order to prevent spoiling the fur by cutting or crushing.

3) Waste - many fur animals are not used for meat and so the majority of the body is wasted.

4) Need - humans 'need' to eat meat (according to most people, anyway) and so animals killed for meat have a higher 'purpose' than those killed exclusively for fashion.

FWIW - I'm a vegetarian, I don't buy leather, fur or silk and I don't use products tested on animals. I don't believe there is a substantial difference between killing animals for meat and killing them for another product.

I also think that it is possible to have relatively ethical fur - if you buy fur from the right source you can get something from an animal that was used for meat, bone, horn and leather. These are usually larger animals like calves, reindeer and the like. That doesn't mean I agree the animal should have died, but it's better than a freaking mink coat or something.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't douse them in paint as thats going against the moral of animal rights activists. we try to explain in a way that isnt destructive.

If you sat and calmy explained to someone about what they were wearing, where it came from, the brutal methods involved then many people would choose not to wear it. unfortunately these days so many people are blinded by the cruelty of it from big names like Burberry who continue to have fur in nearly every collection they feature.

INK NOT MINK! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Well, I wear leather so I can't really object. I wouldn't wear fur, mainly because I don't like the feel of it.

Bet you'd complain if someone covered your leather shoes in paint though! Same same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squiggy184)
    most fur are antiques these days now that the fur industry has begun to die, making it even more expensive then its ever been before. By throwing red paint on such items is a totally **** move.
    The fur industry has't begun to die at all.
    Burberry for example are using fur on many, if not all collections.
    Burberry using fur ------> continues to make fur popular

if big fashion brands stopped suppporting this cruelty then Fur would die out, but unfortunetaly not enough brands have stopped it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.
    Yep. They should. I bet Dai Cameron wears fur... can I please douse him in paint?

ReputationRep:
    You don't need fur to keep warm. What an absurdly simplistic, almost child-like, argument. There are synthetic materials that are warmer.
    You know i did hear that Primark were planning thier newest store to open in the frozen north near eskimo country.

(Original post by SacreBleu)
    Covering someones coat in paint means that they'll probably go buy a new one, so another animal will be killed.

It isn't unacceptable if its legal.
    its not - its classed as assualt

not to mention the paint throwing thing died out about 15 years ago - OP is way behind the times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadow99)
    There is no need to wear fur in the UK, so I think it's wrong to wear it here.

If you tried living in Eastern Europe or Russia in the winter (-40c) then it might be different. Everybody wears fur there because nothing else keeps you as warm or lasts as long.
    theres no need to eat meat in the uk either... but we do. no need to use leather.. but we do.... no need to eat eggs or drink milk yet we do.... so kind of pointless argument.

ReputationRep:
    http://glossynews.com/society/201001...orcycle-rally/

Do you REALLY want it to happen to you?

:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    It isn't much worse, to be honest.

Here are the points of contention:

1) Animal welfare - are the animals well cared for? The UK has relatively strict animal welfare standards for the treatment of animals used for meat and in slaughterhouses but the UK (to my knowledge) doesn't have a big fur industry. I think it may even be illegal to produce animals for fur in the UK. This means that a lot of fur comes from aborad, where there may be very lax animal welfare regulations.

2) Killing method - many animals are killed in very, very painful ways in order to prevent spoiling the fur by cutting or crushing.

3) Waste - many fur animals are not used for meat and so the majority of the body is wasted.

4) Need - humans 'need' to eat meat (according to most people, anyway) and so animals killed for meat have a higher 'purpose' than those killed exclusively for fashion.

FWIW - I'm a vegetarian, I don't buy leather, fur or silk and I don't use products tested on animals. I don't believe there is a substantial difference between killing animals for meat and killing them for another product.

I also think that it is possible to have relatively ethical fur - if you buy fur from the right source you can get something from an animal that was used for meat, bone, horn and leather. These are usually larger animals like calves, reindeer and the like. That doesn't mean I agree the animal should have died, but it's better than a freaking mink coat or something.
    Well, if it's not much different than eating meat then I can't really criticise fur, can I? As horrible as it sounds, animal welfare doesn't really mean a great deal to me anyway to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.
    What's wrong with fur exactly?

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear leather.
    I call BS.
    So you are telling me you have never eaten a hamburger? Don't own any shoes, or even a wallet? You've never worn a leather jacket? You never eaten meat in your life? Sorry I can't go on I just burst out laughing :lol:

obvious troll is obvious, so blatant as you have ed miliband as your picture and then david miliband in your sig :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    No. I wholly agree with the premise that the way these animals are killed is morally abhorrent, but I don't think you can target the buyer, and if you do you have to do the same for those who wear leather. There's a huge leather export industry in Asia and the cows are often slaughtered in shocking ways.
    So if the cows are killed nicely that's okay? How ridiculous do you sound :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    In the process of becoming a vegetarian? Either you are one, or you aren't. This is basically a skirting-around-the-issue way of saying no, you're prepared to rage about fur but you haven't yet bothered to give up meat.

Also, cotton is 'much less cruel'? Cotton comes from plants, not animals. It's not cruel at all.
    No, off course the OP wouldn't harm cotton plants!! They are living organic beings are they not? Of course we wouldn't be able to exist without depending on the use of organic material, but let's all decide to live in a fantasy land where we can solve world hunger by letting meat go to waste!

ReputationRep:
    I don't wear leather.
    I call BS.
    So you are telling me you have never eaten a hamburger? Don't own any shoes, or even a wallet? You've never worn a leather jacket? You never eaten meat in your life? Sorry I can't go on I just burst out laughing :lol:

obvious troll is obvious, so blatant as you have ed miliband as your picture and then david miliband in your sig :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saccharine Sour)
    Well, if it's not much different than eating meat then I can't really criticise fur, can I? As horrible as it sounds, animal welfare doesn't really mean a great deal to me anyway to be honest.
    Well, it is different for the reasons I stated. I'm vegetarian so I don't draw as much difference as others would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    No, off course the OP wouldn't harm cotton plants!! They are living organic beings are they not? Of course we wouldn't be able to exist without depending on the use of organic material, but let's all decide to live in a fantasy land where we can solve world hunger by letting meat go to waste!
    Er.. what?

(Original post by Stefan1991)
    What does it matter if he has? Much as it might surprise you, people's ideologies tend to change as they get older and experience the world a bit more. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Er.. what?

What does it matter if he has? Much as it might surprise you, people's ideologies tend to change as they get older and experience the world a bit more. :rolleyes:
    I agree, as people get older they grow out of these idealistic views of how the world should be, and realise that their expectations aren't realistic.

The fact is you cannot have the world as you know it without the slaughter of many millions of innocent animals. The fur question is irrelevant, who cares about mostly rabbits (for who we actually hand tailored a disease to kill them) and a few minks when millions of animals are born into captivity for the only purpose to be fed into murder machines for us to feed on their flesh.

ReputationRep:
    yo i wear fur does that mean im gonna be doused in paint?...i dont think so. chill dude.... life is short!!! live everyday like its your last! (Y)

ReputationRep:
    To answer the question: No.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.