Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    So if the cows are killed nicely that's okay? How ridiculous do you sound :lol:
    I never said that. Although, you have to agree a painless death is much better. How ridiculous you sound yourself you fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    I never said that. Although, you have to agree a painless death is much better. How ridiculous you sound yourself you fool.
    Painful death, slightly less painful death, they're still being killed.
    If I said I'm going to kill your parents would it be alright if I then told you i'd make it as least painful as possible?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I think they should. Their clothing that is...obviously I would try to avoid the face etc. Using fur for clothing is sickening and ought to be illegal. People who wear fur are scum and they need to get the message that wearing fur clothing is NOT acceptable.

I bet most Tory wives wear fur in private. I wouldn't be surprised if Cameron and Osborne have fox fur slippers, such is the scum and inhumane nature of Tories.
    Can I wear you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    Painful death, slightly less painful death, they're still being killed.
    If I said I'm going to kill your parents would it be alright if I then told you i'd make it as least painful as possible?
    Your creating a straw man here, never did I say it's okay to kill animals. That being said, I do think there are levels to what is morally abhorrent- if the case is such that it's inevitable animals will be killed then they ought to at least be killed in a painless way. This is not to justify the killing of them, but merely to compromise. I'm a realist in that regard, animals will continue to be slaughtered unless it is enforced that they not be so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Komakino)
    Your creating a straw man here, never did I say it's okay to kill animals. That being said, I do think there are levels to what is morally abhorrent- if the case is such that it's inevitable animals will be killed then they ought to at least be killed in a painless way. This is not to justify the killing of them, but merely to compromise. I'm a realist in that regard, animals will continue to be slaughtered unless it is enforced that they not be so.
    I agree with you, however I don't think how painful they die makes THAT much of a difference. Hence why complaining about fur is stupid when so many MORE animals die because of other selfish human reasons.

ReputationRep:
    *Click* *Click* *Click*

Oh sorry, that was the sound of me loading my rifle, I'm off to go get some nutritious, natural, good tasting, fresh meat. And the best thing about it, it needs doing! Those rabbits aren't gonna kill themselves y'know, not many of them are as depressed as the average TSR users.

Oh, and did I mention, I may as well use the fur as well, because if the animal needs killing then one must at least show respect by using every part of the animal. If you're anti fur and not a vegan, I don't have any respect for you.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I wouldn't say that people who wear it are scum, it sounds fair enough to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Whilst I wouldn't say that people who wear it are scum, it sounds fair enough to me.
    So basically you're agreeing with hypocricy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peregrinum)
    So basically you're agreeing with hypocricy.
    Well, I don't think that people who wear it are "scum", but I do think that people should have a right to express their dissatisfaction with it -- and whilst throwing paint over someone probably is a little extreme, I have to admit that I'd probably feel a little satisfaction inside, simply because I think that people should consider the effects their actions have on other people, animals and the environment more. You're right that I'm somewhat of a hypocrite though (as are most of us, if we have ideals that we can't always live up to), since I probably wouldn't like it if someone threw paint over my clothes because they'd been made by folk in sweatshops, which I'm sure some of what I wear sadly has. Perhaps if they did, it'd make me consider the issue more though, I don't know; maybe I'd just be pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Well, I don't think that people who wear it are "scum", but I do think that people should have a right to express their dissatisfaction with it -- and whilst throwing paint over someone probably is a little extreme, I have to admit that I'd probably feel a little satisfaction inside, simply because I think that people should consider the effects their actions have on other people, animals and the environment more. You're right that I'm somewhat of a hypocrite though (as are most of us, if we have ideals that we can't always live up to), since I probably wouldn't like it if someone threw paint over my clothes because they'd been made by folk in sweatshops, which I'm sure some of what I wear sadly has. Perhaps if they did, it'd make me consider the issue more though, I don't know; maybe I'd just be pissed off.
    Yes, people should be and in fact are allowed to express their opinions, which can be achieved through several different ways such as distributing pamphlets, putting on radio shows, holding meetings and demonstrations, none of which have to be degrading and perhaps downright illegal toward people who happen to not share the demonstrators' views. But if people preach about animal rights and ethics and then proceed to destroy other people's property - an act, which is the very avatar of unethical and is in fact in breach of animal rights because humans are animals as well! - then that's just plain self-righteous hypocricy. Either you believe in ethics and morals or you don't, simple as that. If you do then they have to be extended to all issues and all populations. You can't say wearing fur is wrong and it's okay to douse people in paint for doing that and then have chicken wings for lunch.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.