Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lol, further maths :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sreddy17)
    Oh ok cheers mate, thanks a lot. I was just wondering, if you know whether universities look at exams took early, and passed well, for example I did my maths gcse a year early and got an a*, and hope to do my a2's by the end of yr 12 (for mathematics), will this benefit me in applying for oxbridge or is irrelevant? And finally (sorry) are 4 a2's better than 3, with all a/a* of course, or is this once again not really looked at closely and 3 is fine?
    I can't say i particularly know about the GCSE's being taken a year early, and if they look at it but you can certainly mention it in your Personal Statement if they don't just so they know. However I do know that one of the London Uni's, I remember reading this in a prospectus, want you to take all exams at the same time to prove you can cope with the stress of examinations and say something along the lines of "we want you to take all exams at the same time, even if you are capable, due to academic excellence, of taking them early. I'm not sure what University that is, or if that rule still exists though, so sorry.

At an Oxbridge Talk Day, Professors from both Universities said that as long as you have 3 A2's at good grades + everything else they want, you will be considered for offers, just as those with more A2 levels would be. So I suppose it doesn't matter, however the choice is up to you; whether to stick with four or drop one, when that time comes.

ReputationRep:
    Biology!
    & sorry to intrude with my own question, but could an omnipotent Oxbridge guru help me out - would they look down on me if I chose Law as my fourth subject alongside English Lit, Maths and History? I would consider doing Economics instead if it was to cause a problem but I'd rather do Law as I'd like to study it at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRobbins)
    Biology!
    & sorry to intrude with my own question, but could an omnipotent Oxbridge guru help me out - would they look down on me if I chose Law as my fourth subject alongside English Lit, Maths and History? I would consider doing Economics instead if it was to cause a problem but I'd rather do Law as I'd like to study it at Uni.
    There are some fellows who actively look down on Law A level, and at best it's seen as neutral. I don't think it would benefit you when you actually come to study it because the methodology and reasoning you use is very different, I would choose Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    There are some fellows who actively look down on Law A level, and at best it's seen as neutral. I don't think it would benefit you when you actually come to study it because the methodology and reasoning you use is very different, I would choose Economics.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Okay, well I'm happy to choose Economics (apart from the fact that I have to rewrite part of my personal statement!) as long as it is generally agreed that it will be of greater benefit. Something that is playing on my mind and I find is influencing my decision is how difficult I find the specimen questions for the Cambridge Law Test, and I guess I thought A Level Law would help me with this. I understand what they are asking in the questions but I can't think for the life of me where I would even start :confused: What did you take at A-Level, just out of interest?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheStudent.)
    Was just wondering whether my grades are good enough to get me a interview at oxbridge :

English Literature - A*
    D.T - A*
    R.S - A*
    History - A
    English Language - A
    Science - A
    Additional Science - A
    Maths - B
    Geography - B

French - E

Will the french let me down? I need honest advice as to whether I should retake French, to get a B+, or to leave it as it is. I'm getting quite worried universities might reject me based on this fail, as they might make judgements about the kind of person I am. I've asked 4 teachers, 2 have told me to leave it, and 2 have told me to retake it. So very confused.
    Oxbridge don't mind your GCSEs too much you have a few A*s so are in a sensible position, the french is up to you, it depends how hard you are finding your A-level work as to whether you have time to give to studying more french.

ReputationRep:
    Neither Oxford nor Cambridge require Biology to A-level, or mention its being desirable in their prospectuses. You do need a second science after Chemistry and the content is somewhat relevant, but don't choose it simply because you think you must or because you think it'll give you an advantage over people who don't - if it was necessary\advantageous, there is no reason why the universities wouldn't say so.

Since many other medical schools do require Biology to A2 or at least to AS, it will give you more options when applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huw Davies)
    Neither Oxford nor Cambridge require Biology to A-level, or mention its being desirable in their prospectuses. You do need a second science after Chemistry and the content is somewhat relevant, but don't choose it simply because you think you must or because you think it'll give you an advantage over people who don't - if it was necessary\advantageous, there is no reason why the universities wouldn't say so.

Since many other medical schools do require Biology to A2 or at least to AS, it will give you more options when applying.
    Oh ok thanks a lot pal. I might as well do biology then instead of further maths, as it will give me some more options!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.