Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Id give my parents 10 million, My sister a couple of million and other close relatives 500 grand each. Then I would buy a small sports team and see what happened.

ReputationRep:
    I just bought a ticket as I feel lucky...
    Apparently the probability of winning the jackpot is 0.0000000131 %... Don't feel thaat lucky but who knows xD

ReputationRep:
    The only people I would tell would by my parents, brother and boyfriend. I wouldn't change my life that much, but I'd buy a much bigger house and nobody would know that I didn't just have a mortgage, and nobody would know that I'd given up work because I work from home anyway- earning enough to make the mortgage story believable.

ReputationRep:
    £82 million?

Invest enough of it, say £15 million, in various funds to keep a lovely, steady income rolling in in the form of interest, but not enough to make me lead a lavish lifestyle - just enough to leave me very comfortable without any monetary worries in my life. £15 million to be locked up in wealth management funds to accumulate as a huge nest egg where the interest is left to accrue. £2 million to be spent on a great house (ulta-sustainable) in the country somewhere, paying off my student debt, an Aston Martin. £15 million to the RSPB and another £7.5 million each to the British Red Cross and Shelter each, with £5 million to the National Forest so they can continue their work in recreating the ancient forests that once covered our land. £5 million to be distributed amongst relatives, most importantly my parents and grandparentsThere's no way I could spend £82 million and have any semblance of my conscience left - nobody needs all of that kind of money, and I've always maintained that I would give a substantial portion to charities and organisations that I admire.

ReputationRep:
    I would definately remain anonymous and then share it among close friends and family. I would stay at uni and try as hard a possible not to let on that i'm rich. I wouldn't want people continually asking/demanding money from me so i'd just settle for a quiet life.

ReputationRep:
    i already have a plan:

i'd remain anonymous, but tell a few close friends. i'd buy a big house in notting hill and renovate my current house to it's deserved glory. i'd continue with school, and university. i'd buy myself a white lamborghini convertible, or maybe an R8 convertible. i'd also buy a ski chalet in france.

ReputationRep:
    Audi R8.

:love:

ReputationRep:
    Buy myself the manor house down the road that's for sale, buy some suits, buy a Jag E Type, employ a butler and chef and pay my way through uni.

ReputationRep:
    Remain anonymous. Buy or build a house in Iceland in the greater Reykjavik area, buy a house or flat in London to rent, give my mum and dad and brother a significant amount each, buy my mum's house, shove a lot of it into various funds for when I retire, shove another amount into accounts to live off the interest, transport all my stuff from NI and London to Reykjavik, give my closest and best friends a decent amount as well. Carry on with uni as I love what I do here. Try to not let it go to my head. Buy a Discovery and a Harley Nightster.

ReputationRep:
    I would only tell my close family and discreetly go on a nice summer holiday & buy my family a respectable home with a garden.

I'll put some money aside so my Dad can retire early as he'd love to bugger off to Florida. I'd set aside a pricely sum of money for each of my siblings so they can go to Uni/have money for a home when they hit 18. My brother with autism can live next door to me.

I'd pretty much carry on as normal but that money would be a safety net. My extended family can get naff all tbh..they should have been a part of my life before I got rich.

ReputationRep:
    I'd pay every girl I've ever been attracted to to get their baps out. I'd subscribe to TSR. Get driving, skydiving and pilot's licences and appropriate vehicles. Buy a load of stuff for my parents. Save rest and live mainly off of the interest.

I'd remain as anonymous as possible, carry on with uni and go for a PhD because I wouldn't need funding.

ReputationRep:
    How would you even go about getting your head around this if you were sat with the winning ticket in your hand on Friday night?
    *It would probably take forever to sink in .... Id probably faint

Do you have an 'if I won the lottery...' plan already thought out? Who would you tell? How would you tell them?
    *Not really, Iv only thought about it a little bit ... I would tell my mum, dad and my sisters - no one else
    Altho I dont think I could contain my excitement and would probs tell everyone

Would you remain anonymous or would you lap up all the publicity?
    *Anonymous

Would you quit work/uni or keep going? Would you give any away, and if so how much, and how far would you spread it (extended family etc...)?
    *I would probably keep going with uni ... I would give £2million to an animals charity and cancer research ... would probably continue to give money to the animal charity .... I would pay off my parents mortgage and then give them quite a bit of money ... Id give my sisters some money and pay for a holiday for them all

I was reading about that girl a while back who was 17 when she won. She then went through a series of failed relationships, drug addiction, having her kids taken away and some frankly hideous tattoos before her money ran out (she's down to her last £20k). Do you think you could be trusted with that much money all at once?
    *I think I could be, Id hope and intend to stay grounded and sensible ... but I couldnt imagine how Id feel with that amount of money ... Id definitely buy my dream guitar, dream car and go on a holiday the minute I had won

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Audi R8.

:love:
    Can I have the second one please? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Such as three way fun with the girl in your sig? :ahee:
    Four way. The one in the avatar, and the two in the sig. £82 million could make it happen :dice:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moneyballs2)
    I would also not tell friends/family the full amount I won, just a very tiny percentage. it.
    How on earth can you keep that a secret? Surely they can find out themselves? Winning amounts are quite well publicised.

I doubt you'd be able to really stay anonymous either. Even if you were someone you know would "dub you in" to the local and/or national media.

Money isn't the root of all evil :nope:

The love of money is the root of all evil :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tell anyone that I had won that amount. Not even my parents or girlfriend. I'd probably say I'd won like 2million and then proceed to spend and give that amount away. Then I would put the rest into savings and live off the interest. Probably in a bank like Coutts.

Would buy a flat in london to live in and pay off my parents mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tell anyone that I had won that amount. Not even my parents or girlfriend. I'd probably say I'd won like 2million and then proceed to spend and give that amount away. Then I would put the rest into savings and live off the interest. Probably in a bank like Coutts.

Would buy a flat in london to live in and pay off my parents mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    I would firstly set up funds for each of my cousins, so when they go to University, they then don't have to worry about Uni costs. I would pay off all my parents debts. I would then give the rest away to charity, in specific, to a local hospice that has done a lot for certain family members, and relies on donations. I think if I had all that money, I would find no incentive to do anything, I want to work hard, and be proud of myself at the end of the year.. being able to think that I have managed to pay all my bills, and afford my childrens wants and needs and transport with my own hard earned money, rather than lottery money.

ReputationRep:
    i think i would be very much like :eek: and then :eek3: and then :woo:

would only tell my family and my bfs family

things we would buy

iphone
    driving lessons and a car (a sports car)
    a place in bulgaria next to my sisters place
    my own tattoo shop
    my own pet shop
    give some money to my dad
    pay off my sisters morgage on her flat, house and her place in bulgaria
    buy my dad a place in bulgaria
    give some money to all the animal charities

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell people I've won 500k-1 Mil and see how they act.

Pay off my parents mortgage and give them a couple of Mil. Give a few Mil out to family. Then use the rest down to 50 Mil to buy property/land all over the world, plus a few planes, a nice boat and some nice cars.

50 Mil goes in the back and I liv off the interest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.