Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I moved into halls jusst under a week ago and i havent ate hardly anything. I struggled to finish beans on toast. I usually eat very well and regularly at home. I just feel sick and cant eat it. Everybody else in the flat has cooked themselves stuff but i just wont be able to eat it. I think its nerves and homesickness, will that go away? I feel really hungry and im afriad ill loose lots of weight.

Help anyone?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    same here
    mainly because im drinking load of alcohol atm though.
    so even if i try to eat..i will probably throw it all back up at some point :P
    when lectures start i guess i will start getting a better appetite

ReputationRep:
    It should do - I had the same problem last week, what with it being my first time away from home. Last Wednesday I decided that enough was enough, and made myself eat something. Once I was eating properly, everything else fell into place.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same thing - just always anxious and unable to eat a thing. It's only my fifth day here though so I will see how it goes...just snack on light things like yoghurts, fruit, just to keep your energy up a bit. x

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it will go away when you settle in a bit. You do need to eat something as the hunger will make you feel more nauseous and worsen the problem! Try boring things like dry toast, rich tea biscuits and the like which are good for getting some food into you without risking you feeling sick; and make sure you drink small amounts of water regularly during the day. Avoid any caffeine which will just make you feel worse; you can try drinking ginger or peppermint tea which is good for calming you down and can help to improve nausea and digestion problems. I'm sure you will feel better before you know it.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably nerves and anxiety- you shouldn't feel like this for much longer.

If you like, I will eat everything that you can't.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I had the exact same thing the other week - I didn't know why so I decided to go home for a weekend and have my mum's good food. Now, back at uni, I'm eating like normal - so maybe it was subconscious homesickness afterall.

ReputationRep:
    I think you just need to eat little and often. Make sure you eat some fruti and veg. Its probably just nerves.

Are you taking vitamin tablets since you arent getting everything you need?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had this! It's horrible I didn't eat a proper meal for 3 days, but now i'm okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross90291)
    I moved into halls jusst under a week ago and i havent ate hardly anything. I struggled to finish beans on toast. I usually eat very well and regularly at home. I just feel sick and cant eat it. Everybody else in the flat has cooked themselves stuff but i just wont be able to eat it. I think its nerves and homesickness, will that go away? I feel really hungry and im afriad ill loose lots of weight.

Help anyone?

Thanks!
    Hi!

I had a smiliar sort of thing during freshers week last year! I did not eat all that much during freshers week because I was homesick and it turned me into a nervous wreck!. Some people settle into university life as soon as they get there where as others it takes time. Its normal to feel nervous and homesick because chances are its your first time away from home! you need to try and get into a routine of eating. Even if your eating a little bit you still need to eat or otherwise you will lose weight and could become ill which may affect your studies. Once lectures start you should get into a routines of eating inbetween work and lectures ect. You should go to your univerities student support centre and explain how you feel ill, homesick, nervous and can't eat ect and they will be able to help you. There are loads of people who go to university and have similar sort of experiences such as yourself so you are not alone. If you need to talk PM me! all the best and let us know how it goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross90291)

Help anyone?

Thanks!
    I was exactly the same in my freshers last week, when I'm nervous I just can't eat anything and probably wasn't til the end of the week that I had a proper meal and like you say everyone else were cooking all the time but now half way into the second week and with everything calmed down now I'm eating properly again so don't worry you should settle down and be able to eat again soon enough

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.