Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Being as I've never visited Coventry, I thought it'd be fun if some of you showed off your pictures, I guess this might annoy some, but let's go for it :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: </bored>

I heard that Coventry was the ugliest city in Britain because of all the 1960s brutalist monstrosities that were built due to it being one of the most heavily bombed cities in the Second World War.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)

I'm sure that this is the most picturesque experience you've ever had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    I heard that Coventry was the ugliest city in Britain because of all the 1960s brutalist monstrosities that were built due to it being one of the most heavily bombed cities in the Second World War.
    One of, or the most? And, I heard that structures have been rebuilt in recent years …*perhaps this is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    It is foul.

ReputationRep:
    some parts of coventry are actually nice! and they're doing lots of new development work too

ReputationRep:
    South Coventry, i.e Stivichall, Cheylesmore and Finham Green are really quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    Go on Google Street View and can see for yourself Don't have any pictures myself but used it to have a little browse before I came to Coventry last year.

A lot of it is pretty ugly though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    :rofl: Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    :rofl: Brilliant.
    just my thinking.

the Ringroad sums up Coventry in its entirety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cypher_Aod)
    just my thinking.

A triumph of function over form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cypher_Aod)
    just my thinking.

Yes, it is a very useful ringroad - makes getting around a lot easier (according to my granddad at least )

Pics of coventry :

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Yes, it is a very useful ringroad - makes getting around a lot easier (according to my granddad at least )

Pics of coventry :

Spoiler:
    Show
    It's a scary bit of highways engineering, but it somehow works quite well.

Some more pictures:

It's not all terrible 1960's pre-fab concrete utilitarian design. Just mostly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's a scary bit of highways engineering, but it somehow works quite well.

Some more pictures:

It's not all terrible 1960's pre-fab concrete utilitarian design. Just mostly...

I always enjoy uni prospectus pics - sunny with people lying on the grass like anybody actually does that

ReputationRep:
    I always enjoy uni prospectus pics - sunny with people lying on the grass like anybody actually does that
    Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised, actually.

ReputationRep:
    It is vile. Yes, there are some nice buildings - the pictures above show all of these. No seriously, that is all of the nice buildings accounted for on the post above. They forgot to take a picture of the large white buildings that house all of the dirty chavvy inhabitants of Coventry. My partner and I managed to count eleven I think, when we stopped on the bridge near our house the other day.

Also, do not trust pictures as a true judgement of whether Coventry is nice or not. We viewed several flats in a housing delevopment that looked beautiful on the outside (Canal Basin, anyone?) and didn't look too bad when we got there. However I'd say roughly 80 or more % of the inhabitants of Canal Basin are asian families who have allowed the interior of the flats to fester in a rusting, dirty squalor of a condition. It's ******* disgusting, my girlfriend was close to tears when we finished viewing them (we didn't actually even 'finish').

The people in Coventry aren't much better either. Sure it's closer to normality when the students are all here, but that's because they're from normal parts of the country. In vacation time you will soon realise that half of the population of Coventry are on benefits, are chavs, smell like stale urine, walk past you drinking cans of beer openly at 10am when you're just waking up and stop to ask you for change at least once per day.

There is rubbish strewn all over the place, and spilling out of never-emptied public bins. The streets literally LOOK dirty. I've never actually seen a city look so grey and dirty.

I'm trying to think of what else I've missed.

EDIT: It also never stops raining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    It is vile. Yes, there are some nice buildings - the pictures above show all of these. No seriously, that is all of the nice buildings accounted for on the post above. They forgot to take a picture of the large white buildings that house all of the dirty chavvy inhabitants of Coventry. My partner and I managed to count eleven I think, when we stopped on the bridge near our house the other day.

Also, do not trust pictures as a true judgement of whether Coventry is nice or not. We viewed several flats in a housing delevopment that looked beautiful on the outside (Canal Basin, anyone?) and didn't look too bad when we got there. However I'd say roughly 80 or more % of the inhabitants of Canal Basin are asian families who have allowed the interior of the flats to fester in a rusting, dirty squalor of a condition. It's ******* disgusting, my girlfriend was close to tears when we finished viewing them (we didn't actually even 'finish').

The people in Coventry aren't much better either. Sure it's closer to normality when the students are all here, but that's because they're from normal parts of the country. In vacation time you will soon realise that half of the population of Coventry are on benefits, are chavs, smell like stale urine, walk past you drinking cans of beer openly at 10am when you're just waking up and stop to ask you for change at least once per day.

There is rubbish strewn all over the place, and spilling out of never-emptied public bins. The streets literally LOOK dirty. I've never actually seen a city look so grey and dirty.

I'm trying to think of what else I've missed.

EDIT: It also never stops raining.
    Well, I'm not sure how best to respond to this, clearly you have a lot of rage built up. What on earth are you in Coventry for? :P What're you studying ?

I was considering Reading, maybe eventually I'll make a switch if I come over and I'm unhappy. Chavs are disturbing at best.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.