Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just arrived at chester university and ive been here 3 nights so far, i have been out all 3 of the nights for freshers week and ive really enjoyed it. Iv'e been to all the university things so far but wenevr im at my rented rooom i always feel really homesick and just cry im originally from leeds and just miss my family so much that i want to drop out What should i do?

ReputationRep:
    Mate stick at it out fella, most peolpe go through/have that feeling at first that i've spoken to. Once you've got essay's/places to be you'll be that busy your mind will just forget about homesickness and put it to one side. I'm at Chester also and certainly agree all the nights out have been great - especially School Disco evening. I'm bringing a football tomorrow to have a kick-about on the astro turf (meet new peolpe and that) join in if that's your thing. Are you going to Destiny also on Wednesday. Its Nathan btw

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, almost everyone feels like that, they just don't want to tell anyone else because they're embarrassed. It's when we're alone with our thoughts that homesickness and loneliness strikes.
    You could try and make yourself as busy as possible to put the thoughts to the back of your mind but really you just have to accept that this is the way you're going to be feeling for a while and it won't last forever.
    Some people say to embrace homesickness as a good thing, because it shows you how much you love your home and your family.

I've been at uni for 4 days now and go through periods of heart-wrenching homesickness. I thought I was completely alone and it seemed like everyone around me was adapting so easily and happily. But if you think about it, people are hardly going to be walking around in public when they're bawling their eyes out. People around you don't realise you're homesick just like you don't realise they are. I completely understand how you feel, like there's such a long stretch of what you assume can only be misery in front of you and you would do anything to just go back to your comfort zone, but that feeling does pass.

ReputationRep:
    just ring home now and again check on family and let them know what your doing keep in contact with old friends over the internet and the odd text and then enjoy your time thats what I did! enjoy the criminology bit of your course I finished that last yr and am about to start a masters in crime and justice at chester scary times. so if you need any help give me a shout n good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    sorry for the late reply, internet is crap in my house,thanks alot for your suppory everyone i am feeling quite a bit better now im gunna see how the first real week of uni goes and then decide wat to do from there
    thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.