Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Signed up for 40 credits in Italian because ALL the other modules looked so boring except languages.

Somebody convince me this is a good idea, please. :p: What things are good about Italian? What do you like about Italian?

ReputationRep:
    The food!!!

There are also a couple of really good films - La vita e bella and Il Postino (excuse my Italian, I don't speak it haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    There are sooooo many reasons to study Italian, and although KayleeLand is right (the food here is amazing, and nobody in the world cooks as well as an Italian - end of), there are just too many reasons to list.

1. The Language
    The language is actually one of the most poetic romances going. French sounds sloppy, Romanian sounds weird, Portuguese, Galician and Catalan sound Russian, and Spanish is full of lisps. The Italian language is so musical; I love having conversations in Italian just because of the way it sounds.

2. The Literature
    Possibly one of the richest literary languages besides English. Dante, Bocaccio, Petrarca, Ariosto, Manzoni, Tomasi di Lampedusa, Calvino; the list goes on and on and on. In Spanish all you have is Cervantes and Lorca; in French, Hugo, pere Dumas; I actually don't know any other Romance writers.

3. The Cinema
    Oh how rich it is. You have La Vita è Bella, Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso; hundreds of Spaghetti Westerns, and even modern films like La Malèna. Most of the films end up being remade or dubbed into English.

4. The lifestyle
    Yes. It counts. You get up early, you go and have a cappuccino in a bar, you wait a few hours and have a croissant with freshly squeezed OJ and an espresso for breakfast, lunch is always light, and then there's a late evening meal, which you can wash down with a cocktail and nobody will frown. It's just so laid back - I can sit in a cafe or a bar reading a book for two hours and all I have to do is order a cappuccino or a caffè every now and again and the people are happy for the custom.

5. The culture
    Beyond what I've already mentioned: Italy is a relatively new country. 150-or-so years ago, it wouldn't have been Italy. In fact, when the idea of L'Italia came around in 1861, most people thought that the politicians were talking about a woman called Talia. Before 1861, Venice was more associated with Austria, the south was an ex-Spanish area, and the areas around Rome belonged to the Pope. Essentially, you get to immerse yourself in a country that is still getting used to existing, and you get to visit places with sooo much history -- as the Bishop of Milan told us the other day "Italy is called 'Il Paese delle campanili' - the country of the belltowers, because each town has it's own story to tell, but they are all united in one common way" (whether it is language, or religion)

Seriously, Italian is one of the best things you can do. It might not be as widely spoken as Spanish, French or Portuguese, but it is a brilliant Romance language. If you will excuse the Italian a moment:

Non è molto dificile di parlare l'Italiano. Io ho fatto da due anni e posso parlare bene; gli Italiani mi capsicono, e mi sento che è così musicale, così bello, e così meraviglioso. Se non lo studi, sei matta.

Essentially - I love it, and so should you. Give it a chance. Stick it out. Heck, come here on an Erasmus year; the Italians love a good British person.

Hope that sort of helps (though I am kind of in a rush. Yet more aperitivi con gli studenti italiani stasera) -- Any specific questions: quote, or PM and I'll be glad to answer them properly without rushing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    There are sooooo many reasons to study Italian, and although KayleeLand is right (the food here is amazing, and nobody in the world cooks as well as an Italian - end of), there are just too many reasons to list.

1. The Language
    The language is actually one of the most poetic romances going. French sounds sloppy, Romanian sounds weird, Portuguese, Galician and Catalan sound Russian, and Spanish is full of lisps. The Italian language is so musical; I love having conversations in Italian just because of the way it sounds.

2. The Literature
    Possibly one of the richest literary languages besides English. Dante, Bocaccio, Petrarca, Ariosto, Manzoni, Tomasi di Lampedusa, Calvino; the list goes on and on and on. In Spanish all you have is Cervantes and Lorca; in French, Hugo, pere Dumas; I actually don't know any other Romance writers.

3. The Cinema
    Oh how rich it is. You have La Vita è Bella, Il Postino, Cinema Paradiso; hundreds of Spaghetti Westerns, and even modern films like La Malèna. Most of the films end up being remade or dubbed into English.

4. The lifestyle
    Yes. It counts. You get up early, you go and have a cappuccino in a bar, you wait a few hours and have a croissant with freshly squeezed OJ and an espresso for breakfast, lunch is always light, and then there's a late evening meal, which you can wash down with a cocktail and nobody will frown. It's just so laid back - I can sit in a cafe or a bar reading a book for two hours and all I have to do is order a cappuccino or a caffè every now and again and the people are happy for the custom.

5. The culture
    Beyond what I've already mentioned: Italy is a relatively new country. 150-or-so years ago, it wouldn't have been Italy. In fact, when the idea of L'Italia came around in 1861, most people thought that the politicians were talking about a woman called Talia. Before 1861, Venice was more associated with Austria, the south was an ex-Spanish area, and the areas around Rome belonged to the Pope. Essentially, you get to immerse yourself in a country that is still getting used to existing, and you get to visit places with sooo much history -- as the Bishop of Milan told us the other day "Italy is called 'Il Paese delle campanili' - the country of the belltowers, because each town has it's own story to tell, but they are all united in one common way" (whether it is language, or religion)

Seriously, Italian is one of the best things you can do. It might not be as widely spoken as Spanish, French or Portuguese, but it is a brilliant Romance language. If you will excuse the Italian a moment:

Non è molto dificile di parlare l'Italiano. Io ho fatto da due anni e posso parlare bene; gli Italiani mi capsicono, e mi sento che è così musicale, così bello, e così meraviglioso. Se non lo studi, sei matta.

Essentially - I love it, and so should you. Give it a chance. Stick it out. Heck, come here on an Erasmus year; the Italians love a good British person.

Hope that sort of helps (though I am kind of in a rush. Yet more aperitivi con gli studenti italiani stasera) -- Any specific questions: quote, or PM and I'll be glad to answer them properly without rushing.
    Thanks so much for the post! One hell of a post, in fact, haha.

I'm learning Portuguese and I'm still at a very basic level, but I understood most of this:
    which is giving me hope.

I'll PM you if I think of a specific question. Thaaaanks. <3<3<3

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.