Chemsitry A*
    Biology A
    Phsics A
    Maths A
    Some B's and C's.

Is it possible to become a A&E doctor?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Short answer yes it's possible
    Longer answer, depends on what university you go to. Go to the student room wiki section and look for the table of gcse requirements for each university. Several are just B/C or above in english and maths, and several state you need x amount of A*s (8 for Birmingham!) or A in biology if not done at a level etc. It varies from uni to uni.

EDIT: Here's the table: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

ReputationRep:
    Also, the average percentage of A's for people who got an offer from Oxford was 88%/100%

Basically 9A*'s on average =/

ReputationRep:
    No, it's rubbish. :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    go for it!!! dont let what any grades u get hold u back. Gcse's dont reali matter tbh

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys! They are also saying that in a few years GCSE's are going to end...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MidnightRain1)
    Thanks guys! They are also saying that in a few years GCSE's are going to end...
    They say a lot of things
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Helper
    Hello is it possible to get A*AAA in your GCSE:
    Possibly In:
    Chemsitry A*
    Biology A
    Phsics A
    Maths A
    Some B's and C's.

Is it possible to become a A&E doctor?:confused:

It varies between universities. They look at GCSEs to see that you're intelligent and able to succeed in a wide range of subjects.

Many universities want an average GCSE score of an A/A*. I think someone's already mention Birmingham for example want minimum 8A*s for 2011 intake.
    As another example, Liverpool take GCSEs into quite high consideration. They have a scoring system whereby an A or A* is equal to 2 points, and a B is equal to 1. Then looking at your top 9 GCSEs, they calculate your score. So 9As or A*s is 18 points, 4A/A*s and 5Bs would be 13 points. They only accept candidates who score over 15.

Other universities look less at GCSEs and just want them to confirm you have good English skills- most require at least a B in GCSE English.

It's worth doing some research into different universities. Also be aware that every year academic requirements go up, so what's being asked for this year may well have gone up by the time you're applying.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Flugel! Thats really helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flugel)
    It varies between universities. They look at GCSEs to see that you're intelligent and able to succeed in a wide range of subjects.

Many universities want an average GCSE score of an A/A*. I think someone's already mention Birmingham for example want minimum 8A*s for 2011 intake.
    As another example, Liverpool take GCSEs into quite high consideration. They have a scoring system whereby an A or A* is equal to 2 points, and a B is equal to 1. Then looking at your top 9 GCSEs, they calculate your score. So 9As or A*s is 18 points, 4A/A*s and 5Bs would be 13 points. They only accept candidates who score over 15.

Other universities look less at GCSEs and just want them to confirm you have good English skills- most require at least a B in GCSE English.

It's worth doing some research into different universities. Also be aware that every year academic requirements go up, so what's being asked for this year may well have gone up by the time you're applying.

Hello, there. Thanks for that great message. If I scored:
    A* Chemistry
    A - Biology
    A - Phsics
    A - English
    B - Maths
    Some more B'S and C's

Would I be able to enter campbridge?:yep:

ReputationRep:
    A* Chemistry
    A - Biology
    A - Phsics
    A - English
    B - Maths
    Some more B'S and C's

Your grades would be far below the average Cambridge applicant's. You would need to do exceptionally well in BMAT, AS and interview to stand a chance.

To be honest, if you're in year 11 currently I would pull your finger out and start working so you achieve higher grades than those.

ReputationRep:
    A* Chemistry
    A - Biology
    A - Phsics
    A - English
    B - Maths
    Some more B'S and C's

How True :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness - I have no clue of what to do now. Are their any other jobs similar to a doctor, that pay high, but you dont need much levels?

ReputationRep:
    Oh my goodness - I have no clue of what to do now. Are their any other jobs similar to a doctor, that pay high, but you dont need much levels?

Salary should never be one of your main motivations to be a doctor. Those GCSE grades ARE good enough for some medical Uni's. Obviously steer clear of the GCSE Nazis(Birmingham) and instead go for more leniant places like Keele, Leeds etc.

Don't assume the Cambridge will get you the best degree for Medicine. In fact, don't assume that for any Uni - all medical degrees are modulated by the GMC and a medical degree from ANY Uni will be exactly the same. The course will be taught in a different style in different Unis, but you will come out with exactly the same degree. As far as employability goes, I don't think a doctor would be struggling too much for that.

From your reaction just then, it doesn't sound like you've given medicine serious thought. My advice is to just to as well as you can (ie work your ass off) in GCSE to give yourself the broadest range of options possible so that, if you DO reconsider medicine at AS level, you can apply with confidence. There are certain minimums in GCSE for almost all medical Unis - namely Bs and possibly Cs in maths, english and science, but they are often higher. Check out this table for what you'd be eligible for with those grades:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...E_Requirements

Pretty much every career that pays as well as being a doctor does will require a lot of hard work, and passion helps, too. It doesn't sound like you have too much passion, though I may be wrong. Do you LIKE your subjects? Are you motivated to work hard in order to achieve these goals?

Aiming to be a doctor is no small thing, so give it serious thought before you go any further.

Good luck, and all the best.

ReputationRep:
    Well...
    I have changed my mind.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you want to become a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    You said you were 12 in an earlier thread. You sound childish and unaware of the commitment of a medical degree (5 years, even 6?)

ReputationRep:
    Well...
    I have changed my mind.
    Wow I can just feel the committment oozing.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Markh1000)
    Wow I can just feel the committment oozing.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.