Turn on thread page Beta

A-Level choices! :D watch

ReputationRep:
    What did you take / are you planning on taking?

I've got my college application to fill in soon and I was just wondering what other people chose / are choosing.
    I'm thinking of doing: Maths, Economics, Government and Politics, English Literature and History. :woo:

I'm so excited!

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. (+ critical thinking)

wow, you fill in your applications EARLY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaying)
    Maths, Economics, History and English Lit. (+ critical thinking)

wow, you fill in your applications EARLY.
    Nahh, by soon I mean I've got college open days to go to next month and then the applications after that.

What did you think of Economics? I don't really know what to expect from the course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
    What did you take / are you planning on taking?

I've got my college application to fill in soon and I was just wondering what other people chose / are choosing.
    I'm thinking of doing: Maths, Economics, Government and Politics, English Literature and History. :woo:

I'm so excited!
    Snap:yep: I do English Literature, Philosophy,Economics and Politics. Feel free to ask for any advice:yep:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    personally, I'd advise to do one science/maths, universities really like it if you have at least one science. Even if you're not planning on doing any science at uni!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    sorry ignore my last comment, you're doing maths, its fine =]

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about choosing a final set of subjects yet. You can change, at most colleges/sixth forms, either before you start the college or up until around the end of September/October half term.

However Politics is a good course, AS is particularly interesting and A-Level seems to be too.
    English, expect a lot of reading, obviously
    If you want any advice just ask.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Lit, French, German and History. English Lit and History are going well, French is easy, German is a slight step up (at least in the last lesson it suddenly seemed harder!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    personally, I'd advise to do one science/maths, universities really like it if you have at least one science. Even if you're not planning on doing any science at uni!
    Where's the evidence for this?

ReputationRep:
    LOL wait a few months mate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AS Economics, AS Maths, AS Law and AS ICT.
    This might not be such a good combination to do Economics at University...so any comments about what you think of my choices?
    I might drop maths at A2, planning on doing AS Maths
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Where's the evidence for this?
    give me a top10 uni which absolutely advises you should not go anywhere near a science subject. im a biology a-level student, not a world class professor to carry out research on this. I heard oxbridge love media/film studies with RE and especially love critical thinking, dont look at oxbridge if you have a science subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    give me a top10 uni which absolutely advises you should not go anywhere near a science subject. im a biology a-level student, not a world class professor to carry out research on this. I heard oxbridge love media/film studies with RE and especially love critical thinking, dont look at oxbridge if you have a science subject!

You don't NEED a Science, although there's nothing saying you shouldn't have one either; it's up to the individual whether or not they wish to take one of the sciences.

Secondly, Media/Film Studies are on the "black list" I'm pretty sure? RE is fine, yes, as you're writing essays/analysing. Critical Thinking is not excepted at many Universities, it can be to make the points up, but it's only an AS anyway.

So yeah...

ReputationRep:
    I feel like the only person at my school who hasn't changed options since September:
    Maths A2,
    Chemistry AS
    Biology AS
    Physics AS
    History AS (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rishz)
    I'm doing AS Economics, AS Maths, AS Law and AS ICT.
    This might not be such a good combination to do Economics at University...so any comments about what you think of my choices?
    I might drop maths at A2, planning on doing AS Maths
    If you want to get into a reputable Economics school, then drop Law and ICT. Pick up English Literature/History something of that calibre. It's fine to drop Maths after AS
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    You don't NEED a Science, although there's nothing saying you shouldn't have one either; it's up to the individual whether or not they wish to take one of the sciences.

Secondly, Media/Film Studies are on the "black list" I'm pretty sure? RE is fine, yes, as you're writing essays/analysing. Critical Thinking is not excepted at many Universities, it can be to make the points up, but it's only an AS anyway.

So yeah...
    Too true mate too true. Im doing further maths, chemistry and biology. so my veiws will be SLIGHTLY biased towards the sciences still not a fan of RE, im a scientist, no such thing lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing Ancient History, Politics and Economics. But I still need to choose a fourth

ReputationRep:
    Travel and tourism(yeah yeah I know but I'll get an A* easily),History,Economics,French ,English.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing: Maths, Economics, Government and Politics, English Literature and History.
    That's exactly what I should have done! Would be great for PPE if you're thinking that far ahead...

ReputationRep:
    I am doing maths, fmaths, physics, chemistry and economics. I love them all.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.