The Student Room Group

need some advice

I'm on a gap year at the moment and I have deferred my university application. The reason being I wasn't happy with my predicted grades and I wanted to work full time to save up some money.

However, my previous job fell through and I have found nothing yet and I'm back at sixth form at the moment and miserable.

In terms of uni, I want to do either PPE or economics and management. I got AAA in maths, economics and history alongside 10 A's including several A*s at GCSE. Im in the middle of applying at the moment. Im not sure what to do with me gap year, and my parents are pushing buckingham uni with entry in january which will let me do the degree in 2 years, saving 2 years.

Just looking for some advice on what to do about the gap year at the moment; work search and internship failed so far, and not enough money to go travelling. And also, some advice on unis would be helpful :|

in regard to buckingham, its close to where i live and my parents will let me use the car and i wont have any living expenses. what you guys think? And also, im thinking of either doing a law conversation or MBA for a masters after but preferably at somewhere like st andrews / edinburgh. in terms of employment, would the emphaisis be more on the degree university, or where i hopefully go to do a masters?

thanks =]
Reply 1
anyone..? :frown:
Trust me - you'll want to save as much money as possible at uni. Buckingham is meant to be quite an up-and-coming university at the moment, it nudged Leicester out of first place in the National Student Survey when it comes to satisfaction as well, and if it suits your lifestyle then really consider going for it. Be sure to check out the reputation that Buckingham has for your subject, however - good unis may have average departments, and average unis may have outstanding departments. This is where league tables can come in handy.

A Master's is generally considered in addition to your Bachelor's, I have never heard of just one or the other being considered purely on it's own where someone does both. If you went to Buckingham and then on to St. Andrew's or Edinburgh, it shows you've learned enough about your subject to want to study at a top-flight university so you can challenge yourself, and that would definitely be a positive in my book. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Aphotic Cosmos
Trust me - you'll want to save as much money as possible at uni. Buckingham is meant to be quite an up-and-coming university at the moment, it nudged Leicester out of first place in the National Student Survey when it comes to satisfaction as well, and if it suits your lifestyle then really consider going for it. Be sure to check out the reputation that Buckingham has for your subject, however - good unis may have average departments, and average unis may have outstanding departments. This is where league tables can come in handy.

A Master's is generally considered in addition to your Bachelor's, I have never heard of just one or the other being considered purely on it's own where someone does both. If you went to Buckingham and then on to St. Andrew's or Edinburgh, it shows you've learned enough about your subject to want to study at a top-flight university so you can challenge yourself, and that would definitely be a positive in my book. :smile:

I've checked out their business school, from the guardian list linked on their site they came as 2nd? :|

But the thing is, my worry is that going to Buckingham is a wasted opportunity should I get into a university such as Warwick or St Andrews, which to my understanding my grades are good enough =o

I aim to get a first, same as everyone else i guess, but will the merit of the end qualification be placed more on the institution than the degree?

just trying to weigh up each option. but financially at least in the short term, buckingham is the nicest option with lots of scholarships offered to people with good grades :|

Latest

Trending

Trending