Turn on thread page Beta

NUS Extra card - are they worth it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering about getting one of these for my third year and I've looked at the discounts etc, the main ones I'd use would be amazon 5% off and £5 eye tests at D&A opticians, but I really don't know if it's worth the hassle of getting it from my union etc and some shops off student discounts without it..

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering about this too. Not really relevant but Amazon introduced an awesome student account in the US where people at university get a free amazon prime account for a year. Fingers crossed they open it here. I'd adore the free 2-day shipping.

ReputationRep:
    I got it in first year and I never used it at all as I was able to get discounts with my normal student card. Not worth it IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I got one a few years ago and didn't make my money back. As you say, most stores which are advertised as giving NUS extra discounts give the same discount to anyone with a student card, so it's a bit of a con really. If you spend loads on amazon it may be worth it, but there are very few NUS extra-exclusive discounts.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    Its only really worth it if you order stuff online as then you are required to type in your NUS number otherwise you can just show them your normal student card instore.

ReputationRep:
    Meh I'd go for it. I use mine for Topman online quite a bit, and everywhere that takes it. Then again I get a free 3 year one from Lloyds TSB, so it depends whether you want to pay out.. 30 quid is it?

ReputationRep:
    I shop quite a bit at Topshop & New Look so personally, I think it's worth it! & it's not that much to shell out for a card really. But up to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    Meh I'd go for it. I use mine for Topman online quite a bit, and everywhere that takes it. Then again I get a free 3 year one from Lloyds TSB, so it depends whether you want to pay out.. 30 quid is it?
    Can I get a free NUS card from Lloyds? (I do bank with them of course).

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get my money back. It didn't occur to me when I bought it that as a poor student, I don't actually buy anything that could get discounted.

ReputationRep:
    if you use it, then yes they can save you ALLOT.

If your like me and forgot you have it then no, a complete waste of money, only think I've used it once since getting it.

ReputationRep:
    YEAAAAAAA totally worth it, you get a discount on Amazon, and if you're anything like me you spend hundreds on amazon of a year, and will totally make up the price also loads of places like matalan etc ONLY take NUS Extra cards so if you shop there it's also wel worth it

I got one just for the Amazon discount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewoleary)
    Can I get a free NUS card from Lloyds? (I do bank with them of course).
    Yarppp, surprised they didn't send you information about a student account? Mine was automatically converted into one, they then sent me a letter in the post telling me how to get my free 3 year NUS card, and I got it delivered to my house about a week ago with Reading University Students Union written on the back

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.