Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasneemo)
    Thank god you're applying! I haven't seen anyone else apart from you apply for this course I'm applying for neurosci too, and chances are we've applied to the same universities.
    let me guess....
    manchester, nottingham, ucl, kcl?
    close enough! manc, kcl, bristol, queen mary (different course), westminster (back up) !
    guessing your 1st choice is ucl?

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from Bristol and I was wondering which accommodation is good? which is the most oversubscribed|?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kurenai)
    I just got an offer today for Psychology. I sent off my application on Oct 15th, if you want to know
    ahh thanks congrats! What was the offer and what are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    Got told they won't reply for some months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James9876)
    I'm not at Bristol yet (hoping to be!), I've only visited a few times, so don't take what I'm saying as gospel - a Bristol student might come along and disagree with me completely!

I'm sure that, if the BBC documentary was shown a long time ago, it was accurate for that time. However, Britain as a whole is extremely tolerant and cosmopolitan nowadays. There are areas that maintain quite conservative views, and I think the South West is one of those areas, but you'd be in a big city, not out in the sticks. I'm not saying you won't ever encounter racism: you will. You find racists everywhere. I just doubt that in this day and age, in a city, that it will have a significant impact on you. As for Skins: it's a sensationalised teen drama. Please don't use it as a basis for your decision on the university!

"Keep out of the bad areas" is advice that any student can heed, not just Asian students: whether you're in Bristol, Manchester, London, wherever. There are places in all cities that, as a student, you want to try and avoid.

At the end of the day, Bristol is an amazing university. I don't know what other universities you've applied to, but if Bristol is near the top and you get/have an offer to go there, I think you'd be silly to let rumours and hearsay about the city put you off. Go to an Open Day, have a walk around the city and get a feel for the place. Talk to students who are already there. If you're still not happy, then at least you can make your decision on what you've experienced, rather than what people who (probably) don't know what they're talking about.

Best of luck with your decision!
    Haha I already have an unconditional offer for Social Policy & Politics... I'm waiting on LSE and Warwick but I honestly don't have very high hopes in those two that's why I'm really trying to figure out whether Bristol will be a comfortable place for me to be! It's good that at least you've been there and had a kind of feel. I'd say you're more reliable and credible just because of that, haha. I live in Singapore at the moment so going for an Open Day is a little out of the way but yes, I think I'll try to get in contact with some people who are currently at Bristol.

But thank you very much for your help anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    Which course was this for? As I'm still waiting and its been a month :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My friend applied for Economics and got an offer of ABB. She hasn't exactly got the most spectacular grades so I was quite surprised! Considering that the applicant to place ratio is allegedly something ridiculous like 43:1, is such a low offer normal?

ReputationRep:
    Woah, my friend applied for economics and Bristol said they weren't giving out offers until the deadline (15th January) + that is low, for Bristol anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyanne2010)
    I have an offer from Bristol and I was wondering which accommodation is good? which is the most oversubscribed|?
    It depends what accommodation you're looking for, catered or self catered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    It's alright; nearly everyone has been told the exact same thing (typically wait until Jan to hear from them) and some of us already got offers! You might not have to wait that long; I certainly didn't. What did you apply for?

I applied on 14 Oct, got my offer on 18 Nov. I would think no news is good news; LSE certainly didn't waste time in rejecting me.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't panic if you haven't heard anything. Bristol is notorious for giving out offers very late after applications are sent off. My one friend didn't hear back until February for her law application that was sent off a couple of weeks ebfore the Oxbirdge deadline of 15th October.

Not hearing back doesn't mean you definitely have a place but it certainly doesn't mean you have been rejected for sure!

And regarding racism, I haven't noticed any. There is a real mix of students here, with a strong internaitonal presence and everyone seems to get along. Obviously there will probably be a few cases, but that;s the same as everywhere else. There are rough areas of Bristol which ALL students should avoid, not just asians. There are some real 'gangster' type areas which are scary...Dpn't go there lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    ahh thanks congrats! What was the offer and what are your predicted grades?
    AAA excluding further maths
    my predicted grades are A*A*A*A*A*

ReputationRep:
    anyone applying for chemistry with a preliminary year?

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard back concerning Law? I have no more nails to bite in anticipation!

ReputationRep:
    Applied for Geography, but have heard zilch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SayNoMore)
    close enough! manc, kcl, bristol, queen mary (different course), westminster (back up) !
    guessing your 1st choice is ucl?
    yep well, that was kind of my wild choice, but i would love to get into bristol! so far I have an interview for manchester and an offer from nottingham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siyichen)
    Haha I already have an unconditional offer for Social Policy & Politics... I'm waiting on LSE and Warwick but I honestly don't have very high hopes in those two that's why I'm really trying to figure out whether Bristol will be a comfortable place for me to be! It's good that at least you've been there and had a kind of feel. I'd say you're more reliable and credible just because of that, haha. I live in Singapore at the moment so going for an Open Day is a little out of the way but yes, I think I'll try to get in contact with some people who are currently at Bristol.

But thank you very much for your help anyway!
    Having previously lived in Bristol for a couple of years or so I can tell you that on the whole it is an incredibly friendly city. Of course, as everyone says, there are going to be a few idiots but that's true of most places. I'm rather jealous you have an offer. Personally I'm really hoping to get one to and get back to the city next year. So I say... go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieb1)
    Ive applied for History and Im still waiting! Im predicted A*AA and have offers from Southampton, Cardiff and Nottingham but Im just waiting for Bristol and Exeter!

Have many people heard from the History Dep.? The wait is killing me!
    I got an offer for history on the 9th november, AAA which is also what I'm predicted, and I've only heard of one other person getting an offer from History for Bristol so far.

Apparently they reject loads of people around this time and accept a few for history, but then they wait till after the january deadline which is what happened to my sister when she applied a few years back, she didn't get her offer until late january/early feb.

so dont worry about not getting an offer yet because at least if they havent rejected you then you still have a good chance, but they will be waiting for all the applications to come in before they give out most of the offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tasneemo)
    yep well, that was kind of my wild choice, but i would love to get into bristol! so far I have an interview for manchester and an offer from nottingham
    congrats on the offer! and good luck on the interview mines on 1st! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmsie)
    I got an offer for history on the 9th november, AAA which is also what I'm predicted, and I've only heard of one other person getting an offer from History for Bristol so far.

Apparently they reject loads of people around this time and accept a few for history, but then they wait till after the january deadline which is what happened to my sister when she applied a few years back, she didn't get her offer until late january/early feb.

so dont worry about not getting an offer yet because at least if they havent rejected you then you still have a good chance, but they will be waiting for all the applications to come in before they give out most of the offers.
    Congrats on your offer, thats really good! Is bristol your first choice? I was really geeky and looked at last years thread for birstol history and it looked like a good few got offers at the start of December too...but who knows. Well done on the offer tho, Im very jealous!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.