The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by grodecki
Claire Lowe was very good to me last year, she's very helpful and a lovely person to deal with, reccomend emailing her.

Her initial reply to my email was literally 3 lines long ('we will inform you of your decision within the next week, if you just keep checking UCAS Track' and that), but it must have been because she is busy and I'm probably not the first person to email her for more information! haha. She does seem lovely!

Original post by Jing_jing
:biggrin: No I was just wondering because Richard Walters is lovely (helped him decorate the Math's department's Christmas tree with Mathematicians year before last :tongue:) I do a bit of lurking on this thread just because I live in Bristol :laugh:

I was debating about applying to Bristol, I went to a series of Maths lectures there and enjoyed them, but it's just too close to home.

:h: Thanks, I don't know whether it's a blessing or a curse :biggrin:

Ahhh I'm so jealous! Haha that sounds awesome. Do you think I'll get to meet him and/or Claire at all on the post-offer Open Day next wednesday? Do they attend this sort of thing? I doubt it, but it'd be great to meet them.

I know what you mean about being too close to home... that's why I didn't apply for Plymouth (of course, Plymouth being a sort of not-so-great university played a big part in my decision as well).

Do you think you'll be able to get the grades? I could never get 3 A*s, it'll be hard enough to get an A* in Maths... good luck :biggrin:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by leticiabessel
Ahhh I'm so jealous! Haha that sounds awesome. Do you think I'll get to meet him and/or Claire at all on the post-offer Open Day next wednesday? Do they attend this sort of thing? I doubt it, but it'd be great to meet them.

I know what you mean about being too close to home... that's why I didn't apply for Plymouth (of course, Plymouth being a sort of not-so-great university played a big part in my decision as well).

Do you think you'll be able to get the grades? I could never get 3 A*s, it'll be hard enough to get an A* in Maths... good luck :biggrin:

Hmm I'm not sure. You'd think so as he's head of admissions I think, but you're better off asking one of the current students who went to one last year? He was a really good lecturer when I went and head him speak, and was one of the main reasons I was considering applying to Bristol!

Yeah, I really do love Bristol University, the Wills Memorial Building is stunning and its location is pretty good too especially as it's right at the top of Park Street and Cabots Circus is about a half an hour walk away.

I doubt it, it's more STEP that I'm worried about though! And an A* in further maths!
Original post by GabsyWabsyWoo
Physics open day: Thursday 17th March
Anyone going?
Does anyone know what the test will be like?

Test is fine, is multiple choice non calculator and is only 30 mins long, is mainly some C1/C3/C4 with some physics questions at the end.

Don't worry to much about it, they didn't even properly split us up to make it real exam conditions so everyone could of cheated easily :tongue:

They also give you a TON of dominoes pizza before hand which definetly sold it to me :biggrin:

I went to the one on the 3rd of march and really enjoyed it :smile: department was really friendly so could well be my firm !!

Just have no idea what accomidation to put down....
Hmm I'm not sure. You'd think so as he's head of admissions I think, but you're better off asking one of the current students who went to one last year? He was a really good lecturer when I went and head him speak, and was one of the main reasons I was considering applying to Bristol!

Yeah, I really do love Bristol University, the Wills Memorial Building is stunning and its location is pretty good too especially as it's right at the top of Park Street and Cabots Circus is about a half an hour walk away.

I doubt it, it's more STEP that I'm worried about though! And an A* in further maths!

It's great to hear that :biggrin: I don't really know much about Bristol, but the University has a good reputation and it's about 2-3 hours away from home, just right. I'm going to miss having greenery around, I'm not one for having wild nights out, but it should still be good :smile:

I've never even looked at a STEP paper, no one ever needs to do it in my comprehensive... but I know what you mean about FM. I've only done FP1 so far as I didn't intend to do the whole A-Level, just AS. I did M1 and S2 in January and will do NM, D2 and FP2 in June to complete it. I only just got an A in FP1 with 80/100, and FP2 is really hard :s-smilie: oh well, I shall do my best.

(not that you actually care about any of this - I'm just ranting now - I need some sleep). Goodnight!
It's great to hear that :biggrin: I don't really know much about Bristol, but the University has a good reputation and it's about 2-3 hours away from home, just right. I'm going to miss having greenery around, I'm not one for having wild nights out, but it should still be good :smile:

I've never even looked at a STEP paper, no one ever needs to do it in my comprehensive... but I know what you mean about FM. I've only done FP1 so far as I didn't intend to do the whole A-Level, just AS. I did M1 and S2 in January and will do NM, D2 and FP2 in June to complete it. I only just got an A in FP1 with 80/100, and FP2 is really hard :s-smilie: oh well, I shall do my best.

(not that you actually care about any of this - I'm just ranting now - I need some sleep). Goodnight!

Well I'm extremely bias but I really like the city. It's not too big and the university is about a half an hour walk to Cabots Circus which is great for shopping. It's also at the top of Park Street which has a lot of little cafes and restaurants (like Pizza Express :biggrin:), and a couple of nightclubs on so convenient for going out just for a nice meal with friends too :smile: Hmm, there is a massive area of open space in Bristol but it's quite far from the university (about a half an hour walk) which is about 400 acres of just grass and trees. I guess you could head over there on the weekends if you really are craving greenery, it's lovely in summer.

Ah, STEP really scared me at first... actually scratch that, it still does :biggrin: FP2 is alright, but much better to do it with C4 knowledge (I learnt that hard way :tongue:). Which exam board are you on?
Hey there :smile: just wondering if anyone is heading to the law post offer open day today!
Well I'm extremely bias but I really like the city. It's not too big and the university is about a half an hour walk to Cabots Circus which is great for shopping. It's also at the top of Park Street which has a lot of little cafes and restaurants (like Pizza Express :biggrin:), and a couple of nightclubs on so convenient for going out just for a nice meal with friends too :smile: Hmm, there is a massive area of open space in Bristol but it's quite far from the university (about a half an hour walk) which is about 400 acres of just grass and trees. I guess you could head over there on the weekends if you really are craving greenery, it's lovely in summer.

Ah, STEP really scared me at first... actually scratch that, it still does :biggrin: FP2 is alright, but much better to do it with C4 knowledge (I learnt that hard way :tongue:). Which exam board are you on?

Hmmmm Pizza Express haha :smile: Yes, I'm probably going to be seen at the 'open space' area quite a lot on weekends, sprawling my books on the grass (this is will only be viable in the summer though). I've heard of Cabot Circus, I studied it in GCSE Geography (or was it Y12 Geography? meh), quite curious to go in and see what it's like.

I know - now that I'm getting further into C4, FP2 is becoming slightly easier, but I know it'll be just like FP1 last year - it will 'click' at the last minute when I'm doing papers a few days before the exam! haha, hopefully. I'm going to work really hard :smile:

Are you on a gap year? What other subjects are you doing / did you do?
(edited 13 years ago)
Hmmmm Pizza Express haha :smile: Yes, I'm probably going to be seen at the 'open space' area quite a lot on weekends, sprawling my books on the grass (this is will only be viable in the summer though). I've heard of Cabot Circus, I studied it in GCSE Geography (or was it Y12 Geography? meh), quite curious to go in and see what it's like.

I know - now that I'm getting further into C4, FP2 is becoming slightly easier, but I know it'll be just like FP1 last year - it will 'click' at the last minute when I'm doing papers a few days before the exam! haha, hopefully. I'm going to work really hard :smile:

Are you on a gap year? What other subjects are you doing / did you do?

:biggrin: The open space is called 'The Downs'. I'm always hanging around there when the weather improves in the winter as I live about a minute's walk away :laugh:
Ooh! GCSE I'm betting, were you with OCR? We were so happy it was on Cabots Circus because everyone was so excited that it was being built!

Yeah, FP2 is hard without C4, and yes, it did that to me in January as well :biggrin: Suddenly things started making sense, hoping that FP3 will be the same... and M3... and M2 :tongue:

Nope, year 13 as well :smile: Doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Geography this year!
:biggrin: The open space is called 'The Downs'. I'm always hanging around there when the weather improves in the winter as I live about a minute's walk away :laugh:
Ooh! GCSE I'm betting, were you with OCR? We were so happy it was on Cabots Circus because everyone was so excited that it was being built!

Yeah, FP2 is hard without C4, and yes, it did that to me in January as well :biggrin: Suddenly things started making sense, hoping that FP3 will be the same... and M3... and M2 :tongue:

Nope, year 13 as well :smile: Doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Geography this year!

Yes, OCR, the old Geography C "Bristol Project" if I remember right... I think it may have been on the resource booklet for the Decision Making Exercise, or it might have just been the exam.

I take it you've already done C4 then? We're having to do normal Maths and FM at the same time which is quite annoying... but oh well I take what I can get :smile:

Another Geographer!!! haha are you with WJEC?
Yes, OCR, the old Geography C "Bristol Project" if I remember right... I think it may have been on the resource booklet for the Decision Making Exercise, or it might have just been the exam.

I take it you've already done C4 then? We're having to do normal Maths and FM at the same time which is quite annoying... but oh well I take what I can get :smile:

Another Geographer!!! haha are you with WJEC?

:biggrin: Ah GCSE Geography... coursework nearly slayed us! But yeah, I really like Cabots Circus, it's a nice place as well as a good place to shop :smile:

Nope, not yet, taking it in June, we're about halfway through at the moment :biggrin: That's the way we do it as well!

No, OCR, and I absolutely hate the subject :laugh:
:biggrin: Ah GCSE Geography... coursework nearly slayed us! But yeah, I really like Cabots Circus, it's a nice place as well as a good place to shop :smile:

Nope, not yet, taking it in June, we're about halfway through at the moment :biggrin: That's the way we do it as well!

No, OCR, and I absolutely hate the subject :laugh:

Yeah I think we're halfway through C4 as well...

I'm hating Geog now because of the stupid topics our teachers chose for us to do. And the teaching quality itself is crap. Just trying to get through it realy.
Reply 1571
i hate the fact i need to get a B in c4 for my offer, would be so chilling if it didnt have that requirement, how lenient do you think they will be?
Reply 1572
Just wondering if anyone was thinking of heading up to the economics open day on the 23rd :smile:
PM/quote me if you aree, yay
Reply 1573
PM me if you are going to the history day on the same day (23rd)
still waiting for geography! anyone else?X
Still waiting for English!
Original post by gabrielle_w

Original post by gabrielle_w
still waiting for geography! anyone else?X

Me...Still... Looking at last year's thread, Geography offers seemed to start going out from about the 8th March.. Might be soon now.
Reply 1577
Original post by maddielou_
Still waiting for English!

same!
Rejected. Bastards.
At least I can firm Warwick now!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shootingstars
Rejected. Bastards.

What subject?

Quick Reply

Latest