Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guys i need your advice. I have just graduated with a 4-year Bachelor in Buss.Admin.(major in accounting),(grade 2.1) from a non-target european uni. It is a very good uni but unfortunately non target. What should i pursue for the Private Banking Department at top-tier banks? I am considering Msc in Economics or Finance from Durham, Bath, Nottingham, St. Andrews, Bristol or the CFA and IMC qualifications. I am interested to work as an assistant portfolio manager and after few years in this position as a portfolio manager for a top-tier bank ( i.e. Barclays wealth, UBS, Citi etc) Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    MSc is only useful if you cannot get the role you want without it. That seems to apply to you.

MSc is only useful if you go to a target uni... the ones you mention above are borderline. Try to get into a proper target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MARK_88)
    Guys i need your advice. I have just graduated with a 4-year Bachelor in Buss.Admin.(major in accounting),(grade 2.1) from a non-target european uni. It is a very good uni but unfortunately non target. What should i pursue for the Private Banking Department at top-tier banks? I am considering Msc in Economics or Finance from Durham, Bath, Nottingham, St. Andrews, Bristol or the CFA and IMC qualifications. I am interested to work as an assistant portfolio manager and after few years in this position as a portfolio manager for a top-tier bank ( i.e. Barclays wealth, UBS, Citi etc) Thanks a lot!
    I would say a Masters would be more useful. Of the Unis you have listed, possibly Durham, Bath or St Andrews depending on the exact content of your degree. The CFA /IMC are something that most companies will have you do once you join, if they are applicable, and with so many people having those qualifications these days, they dont really offer a competitive advantage. If you have just graduated and you are looking to do a master next year, what you do in the interim year in terms of getting relevant experience will be key to whether or not you have a shot at a position after the masters.

GR
    gradrecruiter.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    Masters seem to be a lot more prominent on the buy side. I get the impression with quite a lot of places that whilst an msc isn't a necessity by any means, it's a big plus, unlike in Sales/Trading/IBD.

I'd be interested to know which european uni you went to, because a very good university that is a non target is how I'd describe Bath and St Andrews. So a masters at either of these may not help as much. Bristol/Durham/Nottingham are all targeted by some banks but not really by others.

IMC / CFA are perhaps more useful if you want/need to follow a less conventional route into the industry - as in direct hire, opposed to grad scheme. They'll add to your CV for grad schemes no doubt, particularly for wealth management, but the value added will vary from place to place.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advices! Werty i have graduated from Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB). It is the best uni in Greece. It has very rigorous programmes. I passed 44 courses, 8 of them was Accounting. Each course requires about 100 hours study in order to pass. Some of the core courses are: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Quantitative Methods, Management, HR management, Marketing, Strategy, Law, Audit, Taxation, Financial Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Financial Statement Analysis(200 hours study), Financial Management, Money Markets and Asset Markets etc. Although most of uk unis take AUEB grads for their Msc programmes, i think that top-tier banks in London dont hire from Greek Unis. So i need to have and something else in my CV except from Aueb. Let me tell a few things for me. I am 23, i did a 2-months intership at a commercial bank in Greece( i have an impressive recommendation letter from the Director). Also i have "worked" for an insurance company as Insurance and Financial Advisor ( 100% comission paid-position) for a year but only on Saturdays. The company trained me in sales techniques, and in all insurance products as well as in Mutual Funds and in loans and mortgages. The problem is that i dont have a recommendation letter from there because my manager didint want to leave from the company( If i sell a mortgage for example, he will get comission for this). In a month i have to go to the greek army in order to fulfill my military obligations. The mandatory military service is 9 months, but if someone wants to serve as second lieutenant is 14 months. I will choose the second. I believe that i will get a recommendation letter from there. So i will finish the service on January 2012. After that i am wondering what should i do. I LOVE to do portfolio management at a top-tier bank in London. You cant imagine how i want this position. It is my biggest dream. If i managed to get an interview for this position i believe that i will have very good chances to get the job because i have extremely passion for this. So the options are 2:
    1) Apply on January 2012 for a Msc programme in uk ( if they accept me, i will finish it on June 2013).

2) Take some prep classes on September 2011 for the CFA level 1 and sit for December Exams. After that, on January 2012 i will start to learn additional languages, French and German( very important for portfolio management positions). On June 2012 i will sit for the CFA level 2. On May 2013 i believe that i will pass the advanced-level exams in French and German and on June 2013 i will sit for the CFA level 3. If i pass the above examinations- i believe i can do- on June 2013 i will have the CFA Level 3 and will be fluent in 4 languages ( Greek, English, French and German).

So i am really confused about what will be the better in order to get an interview and finaly a job offer. The Aueb degree plus the Msc degree with fluency in Greek and English, or the Aueb degree plus the CFA plus fluency in 4 languages.

THANK VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I am considering to join as a member in the Greek Golf Federation and start to learn golf. What do you think? Could it help my CV for this position? If you could answer and in my previous questions i would appreciate it very much. It is so important for me. I am really confused and here in Greece noone can help me because they dont know anything about the recruiment of the Big Banks in Europe, only you can help me. Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MARK_88)
    I am considering to join as a member in the Greek Golf Federation and start to learn golf. What do you think? Could it help my CV for this position? If you could answer and in my previous questions i would appreciate it very much. It is so important for me. I am really confused and here in Greece noone can help me because they dont know anything about the recruiment of the Big Banks in Europe, only you can help me. Thank you very much!
    is this a joke?

ReputationRep:
    No its not. Please reply only if you can help my to choose the best option.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.