Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mid level University (BBB) - Help please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there guys, this is my first post here... glad you've decided to share the moment with me :p:

I am predicted ABB (although I'm pretty sure I can shift that up to an AAB) and am going to apply to Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds for sure. But as we all know, things don't always go to plan... so I'm trying to decide on a back up or two. Which are the best Universities at a BBB level? I'm applying for Politics, if that radically affects your answer!

Now I appreciate this is a very boring post, so here's a hillarious lymerick to lighten the mood.

There Once was a Man called Reg,
    Who Went with a Girl in a Hedge,
    Along came his wife,
    With a big Carving Knife,
    And cut offhis meat and two veg.

Much appreciated all

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle.

Not sure on their requirements though.

Dundee maybe?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm predicted AAB and I'm applying to Nottingham, York, UEA (which asks for anything from ABB-BBB) and Reading. Manchester is supposed to be quite good, they ask for AAB, but the course is weird in that you are applying for politics but the course layout is like a general social sciences - you specify in the second year? (or something like that) I hope that kinda gives you an idea I like the ditty as well!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure Leeds will ask for more than ABB...

Essex, Lancaster and Leicester are all good ABB options, Essex's politics department is supposed to be great and Lancaster seems to be popping up in the top 10 of some league tables.

For BBB unis i'm not sure, Surrey's ok, Reading possibly, Aber has a very good politics department as well but, you know, it's Wales. And not even like Cardiff Wales. Actually Wales Wales.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    Hi there guys, this is my first post here... glad you've decided to share the moment with me :p:

I am predicted ABB (although I'm pretty sure I can shift that up to an AAB) and am going to apply to Nottingham, Birmingham and Leeds for sure. But as we all know, things don't always go to plan... so I'm trying to decide on a back up or two. Which are the best Universities at a BBB level? I'm applying for Politics, if that radically affects your answer!

Now I appreciate this is a very boring post, so here's a hillarious lymerick to lighten the mood.

There Once was a Man called Reg,
    Who Went with a Girl in a Hedge,
    Along came his wife,
    With a big Carving Knife,
    And cut offhis meat and two veg.

Much appreciated all
    If this is for Politics then your top 3 choices are very risky. Nottingham wants AAB, Leeds AAB and Birmingham AAB-ABB, so they may give you an AAB offer (if you get an offer.)

Aberdeen.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a similar problem, I can't decide where to have as a BBB uni for politics! Or whether to not bother with one at all and just have a uni I actually want to go to as my fifth choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW1989)
    Cardiff, Liverpool, Glasgow, Newcastle.

Not sure on their requirements though.

Dundee maybe?
    Do you mean mid-level universities, or mid level politics departments?

They certainly aren't mid-level universities as all four are amongst our strongest universities in general and firmly in the Russell Group. They are no more mid-level than any other Russell Group or most 1994 Group universities such as Warwick, Durham, St Andrews, Bristol, Bath or Edinburgh.

As departments they vary, politics isn't a particular strength of Cardiff or Newcastle in particular, but there are still better value departments as these universities still have high typical offers.

For politics Newcastle has a very wide typical offer of AAA - BBB (so that can't really be considered a BBB department). With most offers being AAB -ABB. Glasgow and Cardiff are AAB and Liverpool are ABB. So a BBB, or even ABB offer, from them can't really be counted on.

Aberdeen (BBB) and Aberwystwyth (280 Ucas points) are excellent options. Particularly the Welsh Aber. Excellent politics department but modest typical offer. Both have modes offers due to location. English students find Aberdeen to be too north therefore don't really consider applying to it. Aberywystwyth is a bit too small and "isolate" for some students as well. But they are well worth looking into it as both are beautiful locations and Aberdeen is still a decent size city.

Otherwise East Anglia, Reading, Essex or Keele. These are all around the BBB mark.

ReputationRep:
    The politics department at Hull has a very good reputation, high student satisfaction and good employment prospects, plus the chance of spending 6 months at Westminster as part of the course. If you're interested, the British Politics and Legislative Studies course offers a full year as an intern at Westminster. If you don't get the AAB grades needed for that, you stand a good chance of being offered the ordinary politics course anyway. Westminster has a huge number of Hull graduates working there because of the networking that goes on.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nclpoladmissions.blogspot.com/

That's a blog from the newcastle admissions tutor explaining the whole admissions process, if you start at the beginning it's very informative, gives you all the facts and figures etc.

ReputationRep:
    Was going to make a suggestion, but then realised that despite the politics professors at the university in question, they don't run a politics course... :o:

:hmmmm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karateworm)
    -
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Politics_Degree

Forgot this existed, it's a full (I think) list of Unis offering politics and their entry requirements. Bits seem a bit outdated now so you're best checking the Uni websites as well, but it should give you a general idea of where offers what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skisimon)
    Was going to make a suggestion, but then realised that despite the politics professors at the university in question, they don't run a politics course... :o:

:hmmmm2:
    which uni is this?

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth. Never had a single honours politics degree, and I have it on good authority that they've withdrawn the politics major now.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.