Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically I have to finalise my subject options by thursday and i'm in a bit of a dilemma about what to do, so any advice/thoughts are appreciated.
    I'm currently doing maths, further maths, physics, economics and chemistry.
    Maths, further maths, economics are okay so far. In physics (edexcel salters horner) we're starting with waves-which is slightly confusing at the minute but chemistry (ocr) i'm finding quite boring and as i'm not planning on a career in science I don't know if its worth keeping it. The thing is if I drop chemistry it means i'll have to continue with maths, further maths, economics and physics at A2-I'm planning on going into economics so economics, maths and further maths are definite but i'm worried I won't do too well in physics, and looking at university requirements i'll need straight A's for a lot of places.
    I was thinking of picking up a different subject in place of chemistry (so i'll have a back-up in case I don't do well in physics) but the only one that seems to interest me is politics and the class is already full..

ReputationRep:
    Just drop Chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unkempt_One)
    Just drop Chemistry?
    Aha I do love that response, I would but if it turns out i'm awful at physics I'd have to take it onto A2 because further maths is normally a fourth subject option. Maybe i'm just stressing over nothing, im actually just really unsure as when i've asked people who have studied ocr chemistry at the school they've told me its not that hard and that physics is a lot harder, i'm totally up for the challenge but I wouldn't want to risk a uni place for it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkay)
    Aha I do love that response, I would but if it turns out i'm awful at physics I'd have to take it onto A2 because further maths is normally a fourth subject option. Maybe i'm just stressing over nothing, im actually just really unsure as when i've asked people who have studied ocr chemistry at the school they've told me its not that hard and that physics is a lot harder, i'm totally up for the challenge but I wouldn't want to risk a uni place for it..
    If you are doing OCR Chemistry then you are probably doing the same course I am doing, which as people have said isn't too bad. Physics can be confusing, but you don't need to completely understand it to get a good grade in it. Anyway, you wouldn't 'have' to take it on to A2, surely your school has some easy AS subjects like Critical Thinking to fill the gap? You could also take up an academic AS subject in the second year, but you'd have to ask someone who knows more about Economics admissions for advice on that . . .

What topic are you doing in AS Chemistry atm?

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing OCR Chemistry then you are probably doing the same course I am doing, which as people have said isn't too bad. Physics can be confusing, but you don't need to completely understand it to get a good grade in it. Anyway, you wouldn't 'have' to take it on to A2, surely your school has some easy AS subjects like Critical Thinking to fill the gap? You could also take up an academic AS subject in the second year, but you'd have to ask someone who knows more about Economics admissions for advice on that . . .

What topic are you doing in AS Chemistry atm?
    I'm currently doing Atoms, Bonds and Groups-so the first module. I suppose so, i'm going to try talking to someone in school so hopefully i'll make my mind up. Another thing is that keeping chemistry would mean i'm doing five quite difficult subjects, leaving me with just two free periods a week. So I also think doing four would maybe give me time to understand the concepts that are quite difficult in physics (I'll have around 6 free periods) and I actually do find some of the concepts quite interesting..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    If you drop chemistry then take smething like geography or history. I did geography at a-level and loved it. Its very interesting and not mega hard either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkay)
    I'm currently doing Atoms, Bonds and Groups-so the first module. I suppose so, i'm going to try talking to someone in school so hopefully i'll make my mind up. Another thing is that keeping chemistry would mean i'm doing five quite difficult subjects, leaving me with just two free periods a week. So I also think doing four would maybe give me time to understand the concepts that are quite difficult in physics (I'll have around 6 free periods) and I actually do find some of the concepts quite interesting..
    Sounds like a plan. I had four free periods a week when I started my ASs; I took 5 (DM, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature) but Double Maths was compressed, so there's a difference in how harsh 5 ASs sound to me, especially given how English Literature is probably less work heavy than Economics. Ultimately it boils down to what you feel would suit you best. Four AS levels and three A2s should be fine for most universities, if you choose to drop Physics, and as I said, you can always choose to take something else in the second year if you feel Maths, Further Maths and Economics isn't enough.

I asked you what topic you were doing in Chemistry because the course, like any other, has its ups and downs. You'll be mostly doing GCSE-level work at the moment but it becomes more interesting as you progress. I'd say moles calculations are the only hugely boring aspects of the course in my opinion. Just consider that when making your final decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    If you drop chemistry then take smething like geography or history. I did geography at a-level and loved it. Its very interesting and not mega hard either.
    I would love to do history but it clashes with my other subject options, so unfortunately I can't-that's why I was thinking of politics as it does sound quite interesting and incorporates a bit of history but I was told the class is full. I just had a look at the option blocks and geography also clashes-there really isn't that much to choose from. Thanks for the response though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tkay)
    I would love to do history but it clashes with my other subject options, so unfortunately I can't-that's why I was thinking of politics as it does sound quite interesting and incorporates a bit of history but I was told the class is full. I just had a look at the option blocks and geography also clashes-there really isn't that much to choose from. Thanks for the response though
    Another option- Sociology. I also did sociology at a-level. I found it the easiest of all my a-level subjects and if your interested in doing politics (if only the class werent full) then you might be interested in this.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a plan. I had four free periods a week when I started my ASs; I took 5 (DM, Physics, Chemistry and English Literature) but Double Maths was compressed, so there's a difference in how harsh 5 ASs sound to me, especially given how English Literature is probably less work heavy than Economics. Ultimately it boils down to what you feel would suit you best. Four AS levels and three A2s should be fine for most universities, if you choose to drop Physics, and as I said, you can always choose to take something else in the second year if you feel Maths, Further Maths and Economics isn't enough.

I asked you what topic you were doing in Chemistry because the course, like any other, has its ups and downs. You'll be mostly doing GCSE-level work at the moment but it becomes more interesting as you progress. I'd say moles calculations are the only hugely boring aspects of the course in my opinion. Just consider that when making your final decision.
    Yeah I'll definitely take that into account when I speak to him. Thanks for all the help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Another option- Sociology. I also did sociology at a-level. I found it the easiest of all my a-level subjects and if your interested in doing politics (if only the class werent full) then you might be interested in this.
    Yeah sociology does sound quite interesting but it isn't in the block either so I can't I have however realised that there is a politics in the block in which i'm taking physics, so if that isn't full i may see if there is a chance i could swap my options-though that would mean i'd be put into a different physics class.. hmm.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.