Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Just a quick question, which of the two would be better if I wanted to go into researching diseases after uni? Just asking as medicine has a lot of anatomy and clinical stuff involved too so am not too sure.


    I'm applying for medicine and I'm looking to do the same thing as you are. However, I do want to work in a hospital before I go into research, which is why I'm taking medicine. My friend went to oxford studying chemistry, and he now works for cancer research. I'm not sure to be fair. Decide what you want to do. If you want to work in hospitals etc. and helping people on the spot, do medicine. If you want to go straight into research, I suggest you do a subject that relates to chemical structures etc, such as biochem. Furthermore, you also have to consider the entry requirements for each. Medicine has a somewhat higher requirement compared to biochem.

    medicine is a career requiring compassion, people skills and enthuasism, its a calling for alot of people, the course teaches clinical practice, sociological concepts and ethics, alongside alot of science you have to really love it to do well. If you want to enter research there are plenty pure science degrees that focus on research and scienctific concepts that will better suit you to research. Im sick of people wanting to do medicine because it sounds good and biomedical science because they get rejected. Many people enter biomedical science with the intention of working in research and its an insult to them when they are refered to medical rejects. Choose the course right for you not what your parents and tv is telling you.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 8, 2010

University open days

  1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.