Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are african kids starting to underperform in school? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have just realised that a lot of african and carribean originated kids in
    london are starting to severely underperform at school, I am not speaking for the general population because there are obviously some really smart black kids out there, but for those that aren't all that smart, and ones that result to joining gangs and doing criminal activities such as stabbing, assault and just sometimes being violent and intimidating. Why do they result to acting like this?

I would like to hear peoples opinions on this

ReputationRep:

That is why.

ReputationRep:
    cuz all ma bossmanz hu are black and dah fink dey r bad. if they *** dwn 2 my yard dey wil get sparked and shanked yeh my mandems merk 24/77!

REPPIN Yh fam

ReputationRep:
    You're from Dagenham, what do you expect? Not all black kids are tearaways :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Probably because nowadays no one is scared of gangstas but terrorists. So gangstas and terrorists and now 2 major ennmies.

ReputationRep:
    They just are. And have been for decades. This is not a new phenomena

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h4mza)
    Probably because nowadays no one is scared of gangstas but terrorists. So gangstas and terrorists and now 2 major ennmies.
    Mr Bean dances perfectly to this Dubstep track I'm :music: to :gah:

(Original post by lilzoldier)
    london are starting to severely underperform at school, I am not speaking for the general population because there are obviously some really smart black kids out there, but for those that aren't all that smart, and ones that result to joining gangs and doing criminal activities such as stabbing, assault and just sometimes being violent and intimidating. Why do they result to acting like this?

Essentially peer pressure.

And you can bang on about the socio-economic background, family, the school they go to, prevalent in inner city areas and all that... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilzoldier)

This isn't anything new, its been well known for many years that many black and ethnic minority groups underperform in education. Its often a result of many things, poverty (black and some ethnic minority groups often live in more deprived areas which results in children attending poorer schools where there isn't really a high expectation for them to achieve), there is negative stereotyping, often from a young age black boys in particular are singled out as trouble makers. Often teachers don't even realise they are singling the student out, I remember in a study I was reading, a white boy threw a pen across the room and it was ignored, whereas when the black boy did it, he was told off.

Also look at role model images, how often is it that educated black men and women who have achieved great success are shown in schools, often all you hear about it rappers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeffy91)
    Mr Bean dances perfectly to this Dubstep track I'm :music: to :gah:
    He always dances perfectly. This image never lies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.