Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What of the theory should I know for practical test Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my test tomorrow. Do I need to revise anything from my theory books ? Is the examiner likely to ask me questions ?

And can someone give me a quick run down of speedlimits, please :p:

Finally, any advice ?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmann)
    I have my test tomorrow. Do I need to revise anything from my theory books ?
    Yes, it can't hurt to know everything that you've ever learned about driving. The whole point of learning theory is that you can apply it in practice; all of it.

Is the examiner likely to ask me questions ?
    Yes. He will ask you two vehicle safety questions at the start of the test.

Any road in England and Wales that has street lighting has a limit of 30mph by default unless big round signs tell you it's higher. If it's higher, there will be regular small repeater signs to remind you. If the road is totally devoid of any street lighting or signs, the national speed limit usually applies (60 or 70 for a car depending on type of road), but an unlit road can have other limits providing they are well signed repeatedly. These are fairly rare.

Finally, any advice ?
    Be sure you're ready for your test and can drive without guidance or prompting.

Thanks.
    You're welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advisor)
    .. the national speed limit usually applies (60 or 70 for a car depending on type of road) ..
    Is it 60 for bigger dual carriageways, 70 for three lanes ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmann)
    70 is the national speed limit for dual carriageways and motorways (which you can't go on yet).

It will only be lower if it is signposted, which will be obvious. Often dual carriageways go down a bit to 50 or something nearing a town, or when there are roadworks etc.

ReputationRep:
    Other responsed pretty much sum it up! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmann)
    I have my test tomorrow. Do I need to revise anything from my theory books ? Is the examiner likely to ask me questions ?

Finally, any advice ?

Thanks.
    It may be a bit late now but i hope this helps.
    You get asked 2 "show me, tell me" questions on your test. There are 19 that you could be asked. Look at this for the questions and answers.
    http://www.learnerstuff.co.uk/drivin...-questions.htm
    You only get minors if you get the questions wrong so you wont fail for getting them wrong or anything. You dont really need to look through your theory books or anything but you could if you think it will help.

ReputationRep:
    Aah, I went over all the show me, tell me's last night. I meant more along the lines of anything out the theory books.
    But, I failed anyway

ReputationRep:
    aww. Maybe next time, its not the end ofthe world. Im dreadng my test!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmann)
    The lanes are irrelevant. If there is a permanent physical divide (central reservation, grass verge, whatever) between the opposing traffic streams, it's 70. If not, it's 60. Remember that you still cannot exceed a posted lower limit.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.