Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting a lot of pressure from my school to apply to Oxbridge for English. I'm thinking about Oxford, but I'm not really that excited by it.

The problem is I have this idea that the overwhelming majority of students there are (and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm probably quite ignorant on this) either really bookish, hard-working and introverted or self-righteous egoists who are really rah/sloane and up themselves.

Obviously, neither appeal to me. I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time. Is Oxford really not the place for me?

ReputationRep:
    There are people like that at Oxford, but not the majority, and certainly not everyone. Go to an open day with an open mind, talk to some students, and see for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bysshe)
    There are people like that at Oxford, but not the majority, and certainly not everyone. Go to an open day with an open mind, talk to some students, and see for yourself.
    There aren't anymore Open Days until July :/ but it's a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Stereotype. It is one that eludes me too as there are such a minority that I could not name one individual in four colleges who is as you described.

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit worried about that, but after the Open Day I've realised that not many are like that, and even if they were it's so nice that I wouldn't care!

ReputationRep:
    Your lucky, if you have the opportunity to go to Oxford get yourself there. Who cares if some of the people you meet you don't like, we don't all get along.

ReputationRep:
    There's no doubting that it is hard work, for the very large majority of those enrolled. But to put everyone into a solely geeky, library-loving box is hardly fair.

ReputationRep:
    Your description of wanting 'creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time' makes me think, no matter how high your intelligence, that Oxford will not necessarily be the best place for you. The English syllabus at Oxford isn't supposed to be very up to date compared to some universities, including the more progressive Cambridge. The city of Oxford is liked by some but isn't universally liked. People say that the city's more lively than Cambridge but Oxford's also more full of drunk people and ne'er do wells from what I've seen - not in a 'aren't we having a great time' kind of way- more a kind of 'there's nothing else to do!' way. Yes, some people who go there are up themselves because they are more enamoured of themselves and the clique of people that they hang around with than what's available to do.

Many are really ordinary- TOO ordinary - who simply got AAA. You don't have to be a genius to do that- far from it. Everyone gets As now anyway.

Still, some famous people who've been there are alright. And Angus Deayton.

ReputationRep:
    You get both of those stereotypes here, yes, but they're far from accounting for the majority of Oxford students. I've made the best friends I've ever had in my life since I've been at Oxford - none of them are too bookish or ostentatiously posh - and I've also had the most fun, socially, that I've ever had. Trust me, if you come here looking for nice, normal people who like having fun, that's exactly what you'll find.

ReputationRep:
    No. Possibly a greater proportion are as you describe than at other unis (certainly a greater proportion went to public school), but there are lots of "regular" people too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Your description of wanting 'creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time' makes me think, no matter how high your intelligence, that Oxford will not necessarily be the best place for you. The English syllabus at Oxford isn't supposed to be very up to date compared to some universities, including the more progressive Cambridge. The city of Oxford is liked by some but isn't universally liked. People say that the city's more lively than Cambridge but Oxford's also more full of drunk people and ne'er do wells from what I've seen - not in a 'aren't we having a great time' kind of way- more a kind of 'there's nothing else to do!' way. Yes, some people who go there are up themselves because they are more enamoured of themselves and the clique of people that they hang around with than what's available to do.

Many are really ordinary- TOO ordinary - who simply got AAA. You don't have to be a genius to do that- far from it. Everyone gets As now anyway.

With all due respect, I'm not sure why you're answering this OP's question when your profile says you studied at Leicester and York, and when your wording suggests you're not actually at all personally familiar with Oxford. :confused:

And no-one has got in because they 'simply got AAA'; you're forgetting that there are entrance exams and interviews. Of course you don't have to be a genius to go to Oxford or Cambridge, and I wouldn't ever want to imply that that was the case, but it also seems kinda daft to imply that it's possible to get in with the bare minimum grades-wise without also doing well with regards to the other admissions criteria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)

Wow.... harsh.

OP, just apply, else you'll regret it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warhol)
    I'm getting a lot of pressure from my school to apply to Oxbridge for English. I'm thinking about Oxford, but I'm not really that excited by it.

The problem is I have this idea that the overwhelming majority of students there are (and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm probably quite ignorant on this) either really bookish, hard-working and introverted or self-righteous egoists who are really rah/sloane and up themselves.

Obviously, neither appeal to me. I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time. Is Oxford really not the place for me?
    don't do it, don't get bullied into applying somewhere you don't want to go. there's no fun in fullfilling someone else's dreams who has pushed you into it.
    look around at uni's see which one appeals to you most, if you're not applying for Oxbridge you've got alot more time to do that. get into a less competitive yet still prestigious uni where it would be a bit less work focused

ReputationRep:
    If you apply and get in, you still have the option of choosing another university. If you don't apply, you don't have the option of choosing Oxford.

And I think that the accusations and stereotypes made by posters above are wildly unrepresentative and inaccurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    You get both of those stereotypes here, yes, but they're far from accounting for the majority of Oxford students. I've made the best friends I've ever had in my life since I've been at Oxford - none of them are too bookish or ostentatiously posh - and I've also had the most fun, socially, that I've ever had. Trust me, if you come here looking for nice, normal people who like having fun, that's exactly what you'll find.
    That's a reassuring response. So would you say there's a huge variety of people there? And how have you found the night life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    If you apply and get in, you still have the option of choosing another university. If you don't apply, you don't have the option of choosing Oxford.

And I think that the accusations and stereotypes made by posters above are wildly unrepresentative and inaccurate.
    If by posters you're referring to their brochures and prospectuses then you're right, I was certainly deterred even further by the photos of the people representing the English students. :eek: I know it's awful to be so judgmental but the photos really just confirmed all my 'suspicions'.

But yeah, I think I will apply to Oxford, have a look around at some point and at least then I have an option to accept or reject. I'm also applying to UCL, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham, with UCL as my top choice.

There's a big chance I'll get rejected from Oxford anyway, rendering this ridiculously presumptuous thread entirely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    If by posters you're referring to their brochures and prospectuses then you're right, I was certainly deterred even further by the photos of the people representing the English students. :eek: I know it's awful to be so judgmental but the photos really just confirmed all my 'suspicions'.

But yeah, I think I will apply to Oxford, have a look around at some point and at least then I have an option to accept or reject. I'm also applying to UCL, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham, with UCL as my top choice.

There's a big chance I'll get rejected from Oxford anyway, rendering this ridiculously presumptuous thread entirely pointless.
    Oh, no, I meant people who posted above. Sorry for the ambiguity.

ReputationRep:
    That's a reassuring response. So would you say there's a huge variety of people there? And how have you found the night life?
    Yep yep - I mean, if you come from a massively diverse city like London or Birmingham, you'll probably find Oxford less varied than what you're used to - but then, I'm from Cardiff (which is hugely multicultural, being a port city) and I still find Oxford diverse enough. And there are certainly people from all kinds of backgrounds - I went to a bog-standard state school and come from a working class family, and my friends are a mixture of people from similar backgrounds and those who were much more privileged.. I guess what I'm trying to put across is how easy it's been to make friends, and how little people in general care about what your background might be.

The night-life, again, might seem a little quiet if you're from a massive city, but otherwise you should have as good a time at Oxford as you could have anywhere else - there are lots of clubs/bars, and squillions of pubs around the city.

With regards to your application - I'd say, if there are five other English courses you really love, then don't hold back from applying to them because someone's told you that you should apply to Oxford. But if you've got room on your UCAS form and think you might like to give it a shot - well, why not do it? I only decided to apply a few weeks before the deadline, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Oh, and I'm studying English by the way - so if you have any questions about the course, feel free to give me a shout.

ReputationRep:
    I'm creative, fun and outgoing. Or something. And I'm starting English there next week. Therefore, you should apply. :p:

Also, try not to listen to the voices in your head saying "the people are like this!" ... of course, people are going to be focused on their work, but some of them do have other interests, and I'm sure the masses of societies/clubs etc will reflect how diverse the student body is!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.