Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warhol)
    I'm getting a lot of pressure from my school to apply to Oxbridge for English. I'm thinking about Oxford, but I'm not really that excited by it.

The problem is I have this idea that the overwhelming majority of students there are (and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm probably quite ignorant on this) either really bookish, hard-working and introverted or self-righteous egoists who are really rah/sloane and up themselves.

Obviously, neither appeal to me. I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time. Is Oxford really not the place for me?
    hmm, well, i met the same types at the oxford open day as I did the UCL open day, the bristol open day and the birmingham open day. They were, and are, just a tad more loving of their subject and probably slightly smarter.

If it puts things in perspective, I'm starting on sunday, and know a few people that are starting too, and I had no trouble getting along with people at interview. I'm not rahish, bookish (I don't even read the newspaper, shock horror) and though there are some that apply to oxbridge who live and breath poetry and political debate, my interests are hip hop and break, boxing and well, going out and chilling with friends.

You meet people of every type at interview and I wouldn't be put off by the oxbridge 'stereotype'. There's a lot of misconceptions in regards to oxbridge, and I'm sure you'll come to understand that as soon as you come to visit.

There are a number of people on TSR who would be happy to show you around, I'm one of them, but I'm not sure how free I'd be and not sure how interested you'd be in visiting my college.

Just to put things further in perspective, I applied to the most 'rah' of colleges (traditionally) and found everyone to be really cool and nice.

ReputationRep:
    3 years of book worming and a life of high paid salary and prestige vs 3 years of drinking aaaaand the dole ???

ReputationRep:
    Someone left 'reputation' for me saying that I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Please enlighten me then about why everyone across the globe with a brain or creative talents should converge on a smallish city close to the Midlands that arguably isn't even all that pretty when they could be spread across all many other fine places seeking out the greatest minds who also didn't ALL decide to converge on a smallish city close to the Midlands.

Would The Beatles have been any better if they'd studied at Oxford? Doubt it - and they'd have shook up the place. Lennon was no slouch intellectually referencing Alice in wonderland (yes, by an Oxford eductaed author) by writing I am the walrus.

No-one needs to go to Oxford, or any university, to be a great author or songwriter for instance. It's probably already in them long before university.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    Someone left 'reputation' for me saying that I clearly don't know what I'm talking about.

Please enlighten me then about why everyone across the globe with a brain or creative talents should converge on a smallish city close to the Midlands that arguably isn't even all that pretty when they could be spread across all many other fine places seeking out the greatest minds who also didn't ALL decide to converge on a smallish city close to the Midlands.

Would The Beatles have been any better if they'd studied at Oxford? Doubt it - and they'd have shook up the place. Lennon was no slouch intellectually referencing Alice in wonderland (yes, by an Oxford eductaed author) by writing I am the walrus.

No-one needs to go to Oxford, or any university, to be a great author or songwriter for instance. It's probably already in them long before university.
    Dude, seriously. No one in their right mind would claim that Oxford is the only place in the world worth going/that it's the only way to become a great songwriter or author/that everyone should thus go there.

This is the second thread where I've found you putting words in Oxford students' mouths. I forget what the other one was on, but I had to take you up on your points there too. Methinks you need to chillax a bit and actually read what we say :p: Through your need to constantly rail against us, you're actually elevating us up to whatever silly stereotypes people have of us far more than we ever could :p:

Would the Beatles have been better for going to Oxford? Well quite possibly yes. We'll never know though, will we? It's well-known that Lennon purposely wrote a lot of gobbledy-gook lyrics for 'I am the Walrus' because he was pissed off with people trying to analyse his lyrics and give them hidden meanings. It's not some intellectual thing: in fact quite the opposite.

Rest assured, the Beatles have been shaking up the place nevertheless, as have I
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Where exactly do the Beatles come into this?:confused: And what does this change about the fact that you descended on this thread out of nowhere and posted some ill-informed nonsense about the Oxford English course, which failed to address the OP's question, just because you've got some kind of axe to grind against Oxford and never seem to pass on any opportunity to bash it?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Where exactly do the Beatles come into this?
    Clearly (mistakenly) thinks that the Beatles and Oxford are two things that could never possibly mix

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=hobnob]Where exactly do the Beatles come into this?:confusedQUOTE]

Forgive me - I have this romantic image that everyone at the top rated universities should have a similar sort of creative energy and ability.

I just can't square it in my mind how Oxbridge is regarded as a piece de resistance for intellectuals when the most important thing is just being an intellectual, being talented, being in a place that suits your personality most even if that's just being in your own head (thinking of people like Syd Barrett - a childllike genius with more original talent than the vast majority of people - and yet can you imagine him fitting anywhere, including Oxbridge?).

The thing is you're all talking about most people, I'm talking about the most unusually talented people. That's fine, we're talking about different things.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Forgive me - I have this romantic image that everyone at the top rated universities should have a similar sort of creative energy and ability.
    Well that's just daft, really.

I just can't square it in my mind how Oxbridge is regarded as a piece de resistance for intellectuals
    Who regards it like this exactly? Your strawman and im so academic aside? :p:

when the most important thing is just being an intellectual, being talented, being in a place that suits your personality most even if that's just being in your own head (thinking of people like Syd Barrett - a childllike genius with more original talent than the vast majority of people - and yet can you imagine him fitting anywhere, including Oxbridge?).
    Well where have any of us said that it's more important to be at Oxford than somewhere that suits you as a person? :dontknow:

I don't know anything about Syd Barrett but from your description, Oxford or Cambridge would be a reasonable bet for fitting in, certainly more than some other places where the system's don't allow for the individual attention or flexibility that such a person would benefit from.

ReputationRep:
    OOO
    Campbridge and oxford

ReputationRep:
    I go to Oxford and do not intend to be a singer/songwriter or author of any kind. I would also argue that Oxford is very beautiful and a truly amazing city as is, though i will of course deny saying this, Cambridge. They are amazing places full of truly fantastic people. Maybe you should go there and find out how truly brilliant it is.

ReputationRep:
    I have visited Oxford and Cambridge.

(Exits, pursued by a beery student)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warhol)
    I'm getting a lot of pressure from my school to apply to Oxbridge for English. I'm thinking about Oxford, but I'm not really that excited by it.

The problem is I have this idea that the overwhelming majority of students there are (and I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm probably quite ignorant on this) either really bookish, hard-working and introverted or self-righteous egoists who are really rah/sloane and up themselves.

Obviously, neither appeal to me. I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time. Is Oxford really not the place for me?
    I felt the same and was adament I wasn't going to apply, but I went to an open day and fell in love with it, it's a typical university with typical people in so many ways. I'd suggest give it a chance. :yep:

ReputationRep:

Haha, really? I almost thought about leaving neg rep, but rest assured, I tend to leave my name when I give people neg rep.

Your argument is a very strange one. Whoever suggested that all creative people ought to go to Oxford? You seem to be arguing against a stance you've invented all by yourself.

Oh, and re: your comment that you've visited Oxford and Cambridge - so what? I've visited half the cities in the UK - doesn't mean I'm in any way qualified to speak authoritatively about any of the universities within them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have visited Oxford and Cambridge.
    Well done.

ReputationRep:
    extroverts are foolish, as are you, go elsewhere

ReputationRep:

How was Lennon a great songwriter, and the Beatles a great band. They were a melodious movement, whose lyrics made little sense. Why people rejoice in confusion, I know not.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bookish, hard working or introverted and I'm the opposite of a rah.

If anything, I've always been a fairly lazy student who does well in exams and am extremely extroverted.

That said, lazy extroverts can be dicks as well.

ReputationRep:
    The OP said 'I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time'.

All I want to say, at this stage, is that Oxford isn't necessarily better for those things than anywhere else. The OP wants to know whether to apply to Oxford. Well, it's one of thousands of universities in the world. Who's to say? But, yes, I claim a bias - I don't like the city of Oxford very much. So genuinely no chip on my shoulder in that regard to the person who gave me that rep.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The OP said 'I wanted a place with creative, fun, outgoing extroverts who enjoy having a good time'.

All I want to say, at this stage, is that Oxford isn't necessarily better for those things than anywhere else. The OP wants to know whether to apply to Oxford. Well, it's one of thousands of universities in the world. Who's to say? But, yes, I claim a bias - I don't like the city of Oxford very much. So genuinely no chip on my shoulder in that regard to the person who gave me that rep.
    I didn't give you the neg rep (I don't neg rep in general) but you do seem to have a ginormous chip. Which coming from me, is saying something

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.