Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna say don't tell anyone about it, that'd just be *****y and harsh, it was just a little one-off thing.

But then I realised that my advice probably only goes for if he's fit :p: If he's old and minging and lechy, I'd be saying grass on his ass!

But yeah...if he was fit, would it really bother most people?!

ReputationRep:
    Blackmail that *****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    Blackmail him. You get good grades and no work whilst he gets to keep his job. Everyone's a winner! :yep:
    This :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy..x)
    I would definitely mention it to someone, that's completely out of order. Drunk or not he's supposed to be professional. I imagine they're forbidden to have contact like that with students, particularly ones who don't want it.

Sorry, but that line just made me LOL.

Surely being professional implies not being drunk :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Either grin and bear it or get your seminar changed and move on. Remember these things are difficult to prove an your grades are at stake here.

OP do you mine telling me the name of your university by PM?

ReputationRep:
    If your clever...blackmail,
    if your nice...keep quiet or talk to him, but bring some pepper spray...
    if you scared, shy, lazy, evil, stupid...tell the authorities (then you might as well black mail him first)
    if your horny...well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sithius)
    LOL

You all have been trolled. Successful troll is successful. God some people are gullible.
    It might not be, some University tutors do try it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    It might not be, some University tutors do try it on.
    Not really. No one in that position, even completely rat arsed, would be stupid enough to pretty much commit career suicide like that.

^it isnt automatically career suicide.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. No one in that position, even completely rat arsed, would be stupid enough to pretty much commit career suicide like that.
    Your belief in human logic and self-preservation is touching.

ReputationRep:
    Well ignorance is bliss and so is naivety.

Young tutors trying it on with their female students is not something new, the ones who are attractive know they are attractive, it's reinforced by the attention they get from their female students and are more likely to take that risk.

Just because YOU wouldn't be stupid enough to commit career suicide like that, it doesn't mean that the next red blooded male will not risk his career in that sense. Remember, not everyone thinks like you or has your logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aconite)
    Your belief in human logic and self-preservation is touching.
    And your gullibility is touching.

Well ignorance is bliss and so is naivety.

Young tutors trying it on with their female students is not something new, the ones who are attractive know they are attractive, it's reinforced by the attention they get from their female students and are more likely to take that risk.

Just because YOU wouldn't be stupid enough to commit career suicide like that, it doesn't mean that the next red blooded male will not risk his career in that sense. Remember, not everyone thinks like you or has your logic.
    This isn't logic, this is more to do with emotional intelligence if anything.

I bet all my savings (the entire £20) on this being a troll. Even the writing/'personality' is suspect!

EDIT: If you read the line 'Probably had a drink in the pub during lunch hour or something?' and still thought the OP was genuine, then :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Would you kick him out of bed is the question.

ReputationRep:
    get audio/visual proof before you blackmail him

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest leaving it and seeing if it happens again or confronting him about it. Certainly don't report it to head of department yet but if anything untoward does happen in the future then contact his superiors. It may have been a drunken mistake and if he regrets it then it probably won't happen again. I hope it doesn't get to awkward for you, maybe changing seminars is the best idea. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    And your gullibility is touching.

This isn't logic, this is more to do with emotional intelligence if anything.

I bet all my savings (the entire £20) on this being a troll. Even the writing/'personality' is suspect!

EDIT: If you read the line 'Probably had a drink in the pub during lunch hour or something?' and still thought the OP was genuine, then :facepalm:
    Call it emotional intelligence if you like, just remember that emotional intelligence is still on a normal distribution in the same way logical reasoning is and that not everyone is going to have your standard of emotional intelligence.

Lol, your edit just highlighted your naivety even further. I've just finished my postgrad and our lecturers occasionally went to a local pub during lunch hour, they would openly have their pints if they wanted.

I did my undergrad three years ago and have just completed my postgrad, I'll just reiterate; lecturers trying it on with their attractive female students is not something new.

OP which uni is this?
    I've been in the same situation, in my second year my head of year tried to kiss me when we were out of hours (we used to go to poetry readings and things with a big group of people) and i had to change classes.
    I found out later that he is a complete flirt with everyone, grabbing girls arses etc...I really should report him i think.

ReputationRep:
    Call it emotional intelligence if you like, just remember that emotional intelligence is still on a normal distribution in the same way logical reasoning is and that not everyone is going to have your standard of emotional intelligence.

Lol, your edit just highlighted your naivety even further. I've just finished my postgrad and our lecturers occasionally went to a local pub during lunch hour, they would openly have their pints if they wanted.

I did my undergrad three years ago and have just completed my postgrad, I'll just reiterate; lecturers trying it on with their attractive female students is not something new.
    Lol, see that's the difference. I'm thinking about it on an EQ level and you are thinking about it in a far more rigid, logical way. Don't get me wrong, that mode of thinking is great for certain things. Certain things. But not here. Whilst you thought I was saying no tutors go to the pub, I was actually highlighting the way she wrote it. She said a drink, which is clearly not the situation. Not to mention it's doubtful someone would bother putting that into their post if they were genuinely asking for help. It's irrelevant. Having him smell of alcohol is enough. Her making it into a question is also strange, but I'm sure you can figure out why.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, see that's the difference. I'm thinking about it on an EQ level and you are thinking about it in a far more rigid, logical way. Don't get me wrong, that mode of thinking is great for certain things. Certain things. But not here. Whilst you thought I was saying no tutors go to the pub, I was actually highlighting the way she wrote it. She said a drink, which is clearly not the situation. Not to mention it's doubtful someone would bother putting that into their post if they were genuinely asking for help. It's irrelevant. Having him smell of alcohol is enough. Her making it into a question is also strange, but I'm sure you can figure out why.

They would never be so explicit in that environment, though.
    The OP doesn't know where he had his drink. She just knows he smelt of alcohol. She probably wanted to give more insight into the situation. My discussion of the pub was just to highlight that university lecturers can have a drink during the day. A lot of it would depend on that particular university's policy. I worked in the NHS for three years, my first job did not allow drinking even during pub lunches and yet my second job for a different trust allowed one drink. It was all to do with the policy within that trust.

No, you are thinking about the situation from a rigid perspective based on your character and personality. Just remember people have different characters and personalities, they will also be motivated by different things, therefore will also behave n different ways. It's short sighted to use yourself as a benchmark as to how people are likely to behave. Also I used the bell curve as an example because it's irrelevant whether it's Emotional Intelligence or logic. The fact is that people behave differently based on their logic, intelligence, personality, character you name it.

He also probably would capitalise on the fact that the OP was alone and unprepared. What proof does she have that he tried it on? Absolutely zero. Would he have tried it on if she was with someone else? I think not. Since he didn't get a positive response from the OP, would he risk doing it again? probably not, why? because she might actually be prepared to set him up this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OP which uni is this?
    I've been in the same situation, in my second year my head of year tried to kiss me when we were out of hours (we used to go to poetry readings and things with a big group of people) and i had to change classes.
    I found out later that he is a complete flirt with everyone, grabbing girls arses etc...I really should report him i think.
    If you have no proof don't bother, your story sounds a bit far fetched.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.