Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,

I just started my last year of BA Business Management- economics at the University of Westminster :p: [yeah I know it is quite an unremarkable university and has a bad rep on this forum but even if I got here in quite complicated circumstances, I quite liked my experience so far - the mental health support is AAAAMMMMMAZING ]

The title of this thread is a bit misleading because, I have already done my choice : SOAS. I know that institution is quite despised on this forum because of its heterodox appraoch of economics, but that is actually what I like about it. Moreover, I live in London and moving to another city would be excruciating for a fragile soul like mine.

Nonetheless, I would like to know what yall think about my choice, if I have some chances to get there with a poor profile such as mine

Profile:
    - No economics degree, but I know that when I graduate, I may get a good 2:1 or even a first ( but that will be hard)
    - My only releveant work experience in the field is as a volunteer in a charity shop :o:
    - degree from a rubbish university

SO WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

If I were to do a diploma course ( since my degree is econ lite) do I stand any chances with Warwick, Manchester and Bristol?

PLEASE HELP AND ADVICE

THANKS

ReputationRep:
    Do Warwick even run a Development Economics MSc?

I expect you will have to do a Diploma wherever you go. As an alternative to SOAS I would look at Sussex which has strong Development Economics research.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you're in. good luck yo, we might see each other in the future...*leaves the thread in dramatic way*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Do Warwick even run a Development Economics MSc?

I expect you will have to do a Diploma wherever you go. As an alternative to SOAS I would look at Sussex which has strong Development Economics research.
    Well, you're right Warwick doesnt run a Development Economics MSc
    I am mostly interested in the development bit, and have economics knowledge but not enough econometircs and from whay I know SOAS's master is more political that quantitatively rigourous

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at LSE's Development Management course too, can pick some pretty quantitative modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumAH)
    Have a look at LSE's Development Management course too, can pick some pretty quantitative modules.
    Yeah but what are my chances of getting a place at LSE with my profile ?

I AM SO SCARED OF BEING REJECTED .......

ReputationRep:
    Then work harder...? SOAS is pretty tough to get into as well, it's not the easiest...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by une-souris-verte)
    Hi everybody,

I just started my last year of BA Business Management- economics at the University of Westminster :p: [yeah I know it is quite an unremarkable university and has a bad rep on this forum but even if I got here in quite complicated circumstances, I quite liked my experience so far - the mental health support is AAAAMMMMMAZING ]

The title of this thread is a bit misleading because, I have already done my choice : SOAS. I know that institution is quite despised on this forum because of its heterodox appraoch of economics, but that is actually what I like about it. Moreover, I live in London and moving to another city would be excruciating for a fragile soul like mine.

Nonetheless, I would like to know what yall think about my choice, if I have some chances to get there with a poor profile such as mine

Profile:
    - No economics degree, but I know that when I graduate, I may get a good 2:1 or even a first ( but that will be hard)
    - My only releveant work experience in the field is as a volunteer in a charity shop :o:
    - degree from a rubbish university

SO WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

If I were to do a diploma course ( since my degree is econ lite) do I stand any chances with Warwick, Manchester and Bristol?

PLEASE HELP AND ADVICE

THANKS
    I am not particularly familiar with economics, but one of the issues constantly highlighted on the postgraduate forum in this area is mathematics; that is, does your business management course cover enough (if any) mathematics so that you would be able to cope with a postgraduate degree in economics?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.