Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm currently taking 5AS (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, Further Maths) as well as a cumpulsory AS which is taken over two years, and I go to a generally good sixth form comprehensive (sends a few to Oxbridge every year).

I have set my ambitions on the likes of Cambridge and Ivy League, and plan to work really hard for them, get the grades, do a ton of extra-curricular activities and work experience.

I was just wondering how these top universities are like when it comes to social backgrounds, as I have turned down grammar and private schools due to travel distance, single-sex or boarding schools, which weren't to the liking of my parents, and also fees... but I was wondering whether that would disadvantage me or give me a boost due to my disadvantage if I achieve similar to others who have had the opportunities.

I myself have a mixed background of teaching, private international school at primary, homeschool, state middle school and state secondary in UK, and now state sixth form (a good one, generally).

Do you think there's any disadvantage/advantage coming from a state school when applying to these top universities in the UK and US, as one of the reasons which I chose to go state was due to the positive discrimination I would face applying from the private sector... but also am scared that I made the wrong choice because that might leave me socially disadvantaged when it comes to 'groups' at university, even though I could get away with telling white lies, and also in the future when it comes to jobs - do companies have a preference? I had a confidence hit after being around privately educated kids, feeling somewhat inferior despite my good grades.

I'm pretty sure that neither universities nor companies have much of a preference between state and private school kids.
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.