Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely need help. I usually put things off to the last minutes and it's starting to bother me... Right now I have to complete a three page essay that's due tomorrow. Any tips to get rid of this habit?

ReputationRep:
    just do it...

ReputationRep:
    Make a schedule and put all your effort into keeping to it. This breeds confidence in getting things done to a deadline.

ReputationRep:
    You realise that by creating this thread, you're actually procrastinating right?

Whenever I'm trying to put off doing work I always google things like "How to stop procrastinating". :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXziurFkQxM :rolleyes:
    timetables normally help. and removing ANYTHING that could distract you. Remembering to ask for help if you think you're struggling with something helps too.
    hope you didn't get distracted by the video :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    It's just willpower. If you are making a thread about it looking for a cure you aren't going to get better - it's an attitude thing, not something wrong with you.

ReputationRep:
    Turn the internetz off?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Because spending the entirety of your time on TSR is a sure fire way of getting things done.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it and suffer the consequences. Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    join the club

ReputationRep:
    It might help to put some thought into the root cause of it. Is it a confidence issue? Is it because you're on the wrong course? Forcing yourself to 'just do it', or constructing rigid timetables might be treating the symptoms but not the cause. But now's probably not the time : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dactyl)
    It might help to put some thought into the root cause of it. Is it a confidence issue? Is it because you're on the wrong course? Forcing yourself to 'just do it', or constructing rigid timetables might be treating the symptoms but not the cause. But now's probably not the time : )
    Tbh I've been procrastinating for a very long time and right now I have no idea what the root cause is but it's starting to get worse. An hour has passed and I've written ONLY 2 paragraphs. I realise that as I'm typing I'm procrastinating but I'll do anything to avoid doing the task. ANYTHING I SAY!

ReputationRep:
    I find it helpful to separate work and relaxation. If I try to do work in my room (especially on my computer) I fail hard, because my room is where I relax. I always go to the library to work.
    Also, think about how much **** you'll be in if you don't do it, or do a crap job.

ReputationRep:
    I know how to cure procrastination... I'll tell you about it later.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Sad thing is, I saw this thread earlier and was going to reply to it...
    Procrastination ftw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diabolic99)
    Tbh I've been procrastinating for a very long time and right now I have no idea what the root cause is but it's starting to get worse. An hour has passed and I've written ONLY 2 paragraphs. I realise that as I'm typing I'm procrastinating but I'll do anything to avoid doing the task. ANYTHING I SAY!
    I know how you feel. I guess for tonight you probably just need to relax a bit, realise not getting this essay done perfectly probably isn't the end of the worl, and try and enjoy it a little (that might be a forlorn hope). I guess it might be worth trying to talk it through with someone who knows you some time.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.