Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    basically, we got given this equation
    H2O2 + 2I^- + 2H^+ >> 2H2O + I2
    because we cant measure the rate of this equation because it happens so fast, we introduce a slow step to slow down the rate so we can measure the rate and compare it to different concentrations of H2O and H2O2. We add some Na2S2O4 to slow it down.
    I'm presuming r=rate, the question is, how would you carry out experiments to prove r=0...?
    If you need more information to answer the question tell me what it is and I will try to respond with what information is useful.
    One last question, If I were to draw a rate against concentration graph. Why would the line of best fit have to pass through the origin? not including 0 order reactions
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    basically, we got given this equation
    H2O2 + 2I^- + 2H^+ >> 2H2O + I2
    because we cant measure the rate of this equation because it happens so fast, we introduce a slow step to slow down the rate so we can measure the rate and compare it to different concentrations of H2O and H2O2. We add some Na2S2O4 to slow it down.
    I'm presuming r=rate, the question is, how would you carry out experiments to prove r=0...?
    If you need more information to answer the question tell me what it is and I will try to respond with what information is useful.
    One last question, If I were to draw a rate against concentration graph. Why would the line of best fit have to pass through the origin? not including 0 order reactions

if r= rate and rate = 0 the reaction never happens...

..think about it!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by charco)
    if r= rate and rate = 0 the reaction never happens...

..think about it!
    carry out the experiment so there is no rate? im confused

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 28, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.