Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello. Thinking of applying to to 3 Dentistry courses and 2 Biomedical courses just to be on the safe side. Got a ***** UKCAT >600. Thinking of Manchester Sheffield for Biomedical, Manchester Leeds Cardiff for Dentistry. What do you know about the competitiveness of Biomedical Sciences. on the manchester uni website it just says number of applicants/numer of places 0/0 so that didnt help. How competitive is it? Thanks all. I do Biology(A) Graphic(A*) Chemistry(A) btw

ReputationRep:
    why not apply to 4dentistry choices?

what was your exact ukcat score, i can advise you from there.

defo apply to leeds and manchester

manchester use ukcat for borderline applicants.

(Original post by AndyRoy)
    Hello. Thinking of applying to to 3 Dentistry courses and 2 Biomedical courses just to be on the safe side. Got a ***** UKCAT >600. Thinking of Manchester Sheffield for Biomedical, Manchester Leeds Cardiff for Dentistry. What do you know about the competitiveness of Biomedical Sciences. on the manchester uni website it just says number of applicants/numer of places 0/0 so that didnt help. How competitive is it? Thanks all. I do Biology(A) Graphic(A*) Chemistry(A) btw

ReputationRep:
    Yeahyeah i know pal.cardiff dont put much emphasis on it either i dont think...Verbal.610.Quantitative. 540.Abstract.550.DA.520.
    Also i dont wana do four dentistry then get rejected then get rejected for biomedical. This is why im asking how competitive it is?

ReputationRep:
    What are your overall grades? Admittedly, your UKCAT isn't great, but just apply to the four non-UKCAT Unis. Besides, do you really even want to do biomedical sciences?

ReputationRep:
    Erm well I have a B in GCSE Maths. So cant do like Bristol Bham Lpool is it?...I will end up with A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canine)
    why not apply to 4dentistry choices?

what was your exact ukcat score, i can advise you from there.

defo apply to leeds and manchester

manchester use ukcat for borderline applicants.
    Made a new account tx22/clever?

OP Manchester won't give you an offer if you apply with a Dentistry personal statement and wish to put them as firm. What they normally do is invite all the Medical and Dental applicants who have applied for Biomed at Manchester to an open day, and basically tell them we're only going to give you an offer if you put us as firm. I think you have a quick 1-2-1 chat with a member of staff, and you let them know whether you're going to put them as firm or not. The offer is the same as Medicine btw.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would firm Manchester given the chance. Is it worth applyin for dent and biomed both at Manchester. See this is why I want to apply for two biomed as if manc say no then aleast I have another chance otherwise that's it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyRoy)
    Yes I would firm Manchester given the chance. Is it worth applyin for dent and biomed both at Manchester. See this is why I want to apply for two biomed as if manc say no then aleast I have another chance otherwise that's it then
    Why don't you apply to Newcastle, Sheffield and/or Leeds for Biomedical Science? They are good universities up North and Leeds and Sheffield are close to Manchester geographically if that is the issue. Do you want to do Biomedical Sci or Dentistry? Why would you firm Manchester for Biomedical Science if you got an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Dentistry but because of my **** UKCAT i am scared that I will end up getting rejected by all four if i was to apply to four and then be ****** if i got rejected for biomedical science as a fifth choice. This is why im asking how competitive is it? This is also why I am thinging of applying to 3 dentistry courses and two biomedical courses and alo i would firm manchester because i like it. Moving is no problem.

ReputationRep:
    soryy the first set of stars says sh*t and the second says fu**ed

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same predicament except Medicine instead of Dentistry. I emailed Manchester and thi sis what they said:
    Thank you for your email and for your interest in Biomedical Sciences here within the Faculty of Life Sciences at the University of Manchester. I can confirm that we do consider applicants who apply for Medicine providing they meet our entry requirements as well. However, please note that if you are successful in gaining an invitation to an interview here within the Faculty you will be asked to submit an additional personal statement geared toward your interest in Biomedical Sciences
    Please note that all applications are considered on an individual basis and all offers are subject to academic history, performance at an interview here within the Faculty along with the UCAS personal statement and academic reference.
    I hope this information has been useful but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

It's put me off appying to Manchester for Biomed but i don't think I want to do it anywhere else should I not get into Medicine. May apply for Biomed at Lancaster. I also not sure whether I should apply 3-2 medicine or 4-1

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking? How and why would this ever be done?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.