The Student Room Group

Handing out CVs and not getting responses....does this mean my CV is awful??

Hi all

As title suggests, ive been looking for part time studenty jobs and handing in my CV to shops(shops where part time vacancies exist).

I havnt had any calls asking me for interviews.

Do you think this would mean my CV would be bad/unimpressive/even awful??

or is it common to not hear anything back??

thanks people
Reply 1
It might mean that they haven't got any jobs, or you don't fit in with what they need (e.g. can't do the hours they need). They may already have given the job to someone they know, they've had too many applicants, or maybe that your cv isnt up to scratch. It could be anything. I'm sorry I cant be of much more help but don't automatically jump to the conclusion that your cv isnt good.
Is your CV tailored to the types of job you're applying for? A generic CV won't do you any favours if its not selling your experiences and skills directly.
Reply 3
Tabers
It might mean that they haven't got any jobs, or you don't fit in with what they need (e.g. can't do the hours they need). They may already have given the job to someone they know, they've had too many applicants, or maybe that your cv isnt up to scratch. It could be anything. I'm sorry I cant be of much more help but don't automatically jump to the conclusion that your cv isnt good.

The first point doesnt apply as every shop ive given my cv to has advertised a part time vacancy or told me they have a pt vacancy, and accepted my cv (ie shop with signs like ''part time positions available, apply via leaving cv instore'' in window).
The second point wouldnt apply, or i dont think so anyway- im on a pt course and im only studying three days per week, so im very flexible.

Thanks for your response, the other points may apply though, ill take them aboard.
It doesnt mean that your cv is awful. You could have not heard back for a number of reasons:
They could have body someone for the job, you dont fit in with what they need (e.g. you cant do they hours they need etc), they have more aplicants than they have jobs and cant interview everyone etc etc. Just keep applying and hopefully you will find something. Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Are you tailoring your CV to each shop? You make have to edit your application slightly for each one (i.e. lie about your interests).

Latest

Trending

Trending