Turn on thread page Beta

Taking a step back in a Relationship watch

Announcements

Hey, my gf and I have been dating for 3 months now and 2 weeks ago we decided to "take a step back" as we felt it was going way too fast.

Do you think taking a step back can move a relationship forward? and can it ever be better than before you took that step back?

I feel that taking a step back means it''s going to take time to move forward again as there is always an "expectation" of some sort as a result of moving it too fast in the first place, instead of letting the relationship develop naturally....

So what my main question is, is that do people think it can work out?

ReputationRep:
    YO dude! sometimes i guess thingd can move to fast..like emotions and feelings....this is great at first but we all need space, even i do! take a step back and enjoy life...you're worth it!

ReputationRep:
    How was it going too fast?

What did you do to take a step back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    YO dude! sometimes i guess thingd can move to fast..like emotions and feelings....this is great at first but we all need space, even i do! take a step back and enjoy life...you're worth it!
    So I just had to check your profile out and it says, 'and when I was 7 I was playing Hide and Seek with my cousin. My cousin shut me in a toy box and I got stuck in there!'

Why couldn't you have just stayed there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    At first I was like
    http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1390/257j.jpg

then I lol'd
    xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, my gf and I have been dating for 3 months now and 2 weeks ago we decided to "take a step back" as we felt it was going way too fast.

Do you think taking a step back can move a relationship forward? and can it ever be better than before you took that step back?

I feel that taking a step back means it''s going to take time to move forward again as there is always an "expectation" of some sort as a result of moving it too fast in the first place, instead of letting the relationship develop naturally....

So what my main question is, is that do people think it can work out?
    What was going too fast for you?
    I never understood what this meant.
    You mean you had sex too soon or something? O.o

(Original post by Davezk)
    How was it going too fast?

What did you do to take a step back?
    I would say that I was probably more guilty of moving it too fast. I was saying a lot of stuff that one shouldn't be saying so early in a relationship.

Instead of getting to know her slowly, I wanted to know everything about her

I was making too many promises and looking towards the future far too early.

It's my first relationship so I guess i didn't understand that things had to develop naturally first.

2. We took a step back by just saying that we're not official anymore, but we're still together...we're just going to see how things go.

(Original post by BumperBo)
    What was going too fast for you?
    I never understood what this meant.
    You mean you had sex too soon or something? O.o
    ^

Also, her calling me everyday was a bit of a shock to the system so sometimes there was awkardnesses on the phone. Nope, no sex but it has moved a bit fast in the bedroom as well

ReputationRep:
    How old are you OP?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes moving too fast can be destructive, and that would definitely not be progress...so yeah if by taking a step back you're avoiding that then it's moving forward

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ^

Also, her calling me everyday was a bit of a shock to the system so sometimes there was awkardnesses on the phone. Nope, no sex but it has moved a bit fast in the bedroom as well
    :wtf:
    Erm... tell her you hate talking on the phone and to not call every day? I can't stand girls who call often I HAVE NOTHING INTERESTING TO SAY SINCE WE LAST TALKED 2 HOURS AGO

>_>

Anyways yeah it can work out. Just lay down the law on that part.
    And stop worrying so much about what you say to her. I'm assuming you said "I love you" too soon and all that?

Set her down and say you didn't mean all that stuff you said, and that you just wanted it to work. You still want it to work, but let's be completely honest this time.

^a little messed up in terms of pronouns but yeah go that route
    You don't need to temporarily break up over it

(Original post by CuteStar*)
    How old are you OP?
    19, going into the 2nd yr of uni

(Original post by BumperBo)
    :wtf:
    Erm... tell her you hate talking on the phone and to not call every day? I can't stand girls who call often I HAVE NOTHING INTERESTING TO SAY SINCE WE LAST TALKED 2 HOURS AGO

>_>

Anyways yeah it can work out. Just lay down the law on that part.
    And stop worrying so much about what you say to her. I'm assuming you said "I love you" too soon and all that?

Set her down and say you didn't mean all that stuff you said, and that you just wanted it to work. You still want it to work, but let's be completely honest this time.

^a little messed up in terms of pronouns but yeah go that route
    You don't need to temporarily break up over it
    LOL! No way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.