Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Pope John Paul II Award watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I go to a catholic school and the DoE is being introduced this year at Bronze level only, which I am going to do. However there is a similar award called the Pope John Paul II Award, for the Gold award, which I am doing, candidates have to complete 20hours Parish Involvement and 20hours Social Involvement and a 1500 word presentation. I was just wondering if universities accept this award as an equivalent to the DoE because in theory it consists of the same basic requirements. If anyone knows anything could they please let me know.

Thanks
    AndyLarge

ReputationRep:
    I doubt most people have even heard of it, let alone know what it's equivalent to

ReputationRep:
    Check the UCAS website? I've never heard of it before :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine its not equivalent, I've never heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    Its a Northern Ireland only thing
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unis don't give a **** about the DoE

ReputationRep:
    I love how he thinks DofE is a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Unis don't give a **** about the DoE
    Surely that's not true, considering that medical schools like to see evidence of qualities such as leadership, teamwork, which are important for a career in medicine, and Duke of Ed is one way of showing such things on a personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist)
    A pedophile has his own award that is awarded to teenagers?
    ...hmmmmmm

Stickto the DoE buddy.
    No need to troll.

To be honest, you should probably go ahead with the PJPII as it's more unique than DoE. You can demonstrate the skills gained from DoE easily from other stuff you simply do at school.

ReputationRep:
    Like Jonty said. If you're going to do it make the most of it.. maybe even emphasise the christian values of the PJPII DofE in CV's and PS which can enhance your profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tzarchasm)
    No need to troll.

To be honest, you should probably go ahead with the PJPII as it's more unique than DoE. You can demonstrate the skills gained from DoE easily from other stuff you simply do at school.
    I never understand when people say stuff like that.

Should applicants join a lacrosse team instead of a football team because it's "more unique"? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Surely that's not true, considering that medical schools like to see evidence of qualities such as leadership, teamwork, which are important for a career in medicine, and Duke of Ed is one way of showing such things on a personal statement.
    that doesn't mean they care about the actual award though does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    that doesn't mean they care about the actual award though does it?
    Oh yeah, fair point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I never understand when people say stuff like that.

Should applicants join a lacrosse team instead of a football team because it's "more unique"? :p:
    No, it's not the same. You've highlighted a sport, sports are chosen by people because they enjoy it. This has nothing to do with what I meant by 'unique'.

PJPII requires "20hours Parish Involvement and 20hours Social Involvement and a 1500 word presentation", something that is obviously not attainable normally. On the other hand, you've got the DoE where you've trekked a distance, slept, crapped and then volunteered at your local charity shop for months. Universities have a lot of applicants with DoE being exaggarted or used, whereas I doubt you would find many people with parish involvement, as it consists of values that are completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_vine)
    Like Jonty said. If you're going to do it make the most of it.. maybe even emphasise the christian values of the PJPII DofE in CV's and PS which can enhance your profile.
    are you trying to imply having christian values enhances the profile of an individual...? :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    D of E is included in pretty much 80% or more of the statements I review. If you can explain what it is and what you gained from it in few words (and don't overlap with other examples), I don't see why you shouldn't include it.

ReputationRep:
    Is that even a recognised qualification?

Nevertheless, you can still mention it in your PS/references.

ReputationRep:
    FFS, it's not what you do, it's what you learn from it.

Nobody cares whether it's a bronze DoE, an olympic gold or a Nobel prize, it's how you explain what you learnt from it and how you think it can be applied to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth doing but I don't think that universities recognise it. We were given the chance to do it at my school along with the millennium volunteers award, most chose the millennium volunteers award because we were told that universities would recognise it. If you can write about what you learnt from it etc though it's certainly worth doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    are you trying to imply having christian values enhances the profile of an individual...? :confused:
    I don't neccessarily mean worshipping God but after reading the little information I could find about, it seems to me the scheme emphasises helping out your community, youth work and working for charity. I don't really know what the scheme really entails tbh but it seems like you could talk about it from that perspective since it seems to be aimed at Christians. But obviously the unis wouldn't choose you based on your religon, that's not what I was insinuating.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.