Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been to see a doctor, got an appointment for an ECG later this week but until then thought I'd post here to see if anyone can shed any light

It started last night (24 hours ago) while I was in bed. For 1-3 seconds my heart 'fluttered'/beat randomly fast. Sometimes it can happen every 5-10 minutes, other times nothing for 2-3 hours. Been going all day.
    There are next to no symptoms. No heavy breathing/short of breath, no dizziness etc.

GP said:
    Heart beat was normal (didn't flutter while I was there, typically)
    Blood pressure was normal

I'm 17. No previous illnesses. No family history of heart problems.

Anyone know anything
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Random palpitation? Have you been under stress at all of late?

ReputationRep:
    Quite a bit of stress tbh. Had to get an English essay in yesterday (first draft) so if it was good enough my teacher could predict me an A (from a C in the exam). Then the decision of whether to waste a choice on Oxford or not. Deadline today.

The thing is I don't FEEL stressed when it happens. I can just be working in a lesson or watching TV.

ReputationRep:
    There's no way to know for sure until you have the proper tests but it could possibly be MVP (Mitral Valve Prolapse) or Atrial Fibrillation. In this case palpitations can often be felt when laying down at night. It's a fairly common thing. It could also be something as simple as your body adjusting to the position of laying down.

Does it ever make you feel tired or light headed also do you have any anxiety related problems?

I get them quite often too. Let me know what your test results are and what the prognosis is. Wondering if I should bring this up with my doc. Anything to do with the heart scares the **** out of me.

ReputationRep:
    I had that heart fluttering thing too, i know what you're on about it. Although it does get worse if i stress too much, i went doctors when i was like 12/13 and overall it wasn't really anything serious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisnew)

Does it ever make you feel tired or light headed also do you have any anxiety related problems?
    Nope, no symptoms like that; or anxiety issues.

(Original post by thisisnew)
    I get them quite often too. Let me know what your test results are and what the prognosis is. Wondering if I should bring this up with my doc. Anything to do with the heart scares the **** out of me.
    I'll post them here Its worth going to your GP tbh. Soon as I realised it wasn't going to disappear after an hour I panicked and booked an appointment ^.^

ReputationRep:
    I've been plagued with weird heartbeats like this for 2 years, but I'm surprised you got an ECG booked so quickly. My doctors weren't concerned at all when I went to them (my beats feel more like a pause, then THUD)... even knowing I have a heart murmur due to a floppy valve, they still weren't worried. For my own peace of mind they arranged an ECG and even a echo... nothing. The only thing they said it might be was down to my anaemia (they also gave me a blood test) and sent me away with some iron supplements and 'relaxation techniques' leaflet. Basically, anything can trigger your heart to go funny, from stress, to hormones, to caffiene. Most importantly, you should relax, and only worry if you do get dizzy or out of breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Been to see a doctor, got an appointment for an ECG later this week but until then thought I'd post here to see if anyone can shed any light

It started last night (24 hours ago) while I was in bed. For 1-3 seconds my heart 'fluttered'/beat randomly fast. Sometimes it can happen every 5-10 minutes, other times nothing for 2-3 hours. Been going all day.
    There are next to no symptoms. No heavy breathing/short of breath, no dizziness etc.

GP said:
    Heart beat was normal (didn't flutter while I was there, typically)
    Blood pressure was normal

I'm 17. No previous illnesses. No family history of heart problems.

Anyone know anything
    Thanks.
    I used to have random palpitations like that. Turns out I had Folic Acid Deficiency Anaemia and that was causing it. Since starting Folic Acid 5mg a day they've stopped. Ask for a blood test.

ReputationRep:
    Blood text coming up if EGC doesn't show anything. This has only been happening for 24 hours so wouldn't Folic Acid Deficiency have been diagnosed by now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    Quite a bit of stress tbh. Had to get an English essay in yesterday (first draft) so if it was good enough my teacher could predict me an A (from a C in the exam). Then the decision of whether to waste a choice on Oxford or not. Deadline today.

The thing is I don't FEEL stressed when it happens. I can just be working in a lesson or watching TV.
    I have the exact same thing. And I don't feel stressed at the time it happens either. Let us know how it goes, because if your ECG turns up with something then I may go and get checked out too. Good luck!

JUst make sure you all get checked out guys - most commonly it's caused by stress but, seeing as there's no way of avoiding that throughout your life, it's best to just try to relax, perhaps learn some calming techniques and tell someone if you're feeling short of breath/dizzy/nauseous/shaky/etc alongside the palpitations.

They're relatively common but it's better to get checked out than let it worry you as you don't know whether there's an underlying cause.

If your doctor tries to send you, away don't take no for an answer - it's not their body and they can't imagine the worry it is/could cause you.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    i get it sometimes, apparently when i was in hospital having my tonsils out (when i was 13) the surgeon was worried that it was quite irregular and kept a close eye on me until i left the hospital (not that i knew anything was wrong at the time and only got told about 6 months ago).

i often get palpitations and flutters, had an ecg a month or so ago which seemed normal at the time apparently, so probably nothing to worry about, aparently for me its a sort of anxiety that is causing it (mixed in with my hms) and leads to mild panic attacks, especially if iv been rushing around, so i just try to keep calm and have cut out caffeine as that is supposed to help a bit sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed palpitations on and off for about 5 years now.
    When I first told the GP when I was 17 I got the ECG etc done.
    They found I had a murmer and a bit of backflow in a valve.
    I was told to come back if I felt it got worse but it never has.
    What you're experiencing is not uncommon, so don't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    this started happening to me a few days ago! it's like my heart pauses and then does some weird spasm before going back to normal. it's irregular. might be stress? might be bad diet? i dunno, i've been forgetting to each lunch a lot recently because i've been busy. i'll call the doctor tomorrow if it continues.

ReputationRep:
    Still happening this morning :/ Bit more regulary i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    JUst make sure you all get checked out guys - most commonly it's caused by stress but, seeing as there's no way of avoiding that throughout your life, it's best to just try to relax, perhaps learn some calming techniques and tell someone if you're feeling short of breath/dizzy/nauseous/shaky/etc alongside the palpitations.

They're relatively common but it's better to get checked out than let it worry you as you don't know whether there's an underlying cause.

If your doctor tries to send you, away don't take no for an answer - it's not their body and they can't imagine the worry it is/could cause you.

Good luck
    Excellent advice. I have a very serious heart condition and a lot of experience with heart problems. I am also an ex A & E, ITU staff nurse having changed my profession This is exactly what I would have said.

ReputationRep:
    Check your symptoms online.

ReputationRep:
    if its only just started happening and you dont have any other symptoms it could maybe be anxiety. im sure its nothin to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to keep it in perspective guys. Your heart has to beat constantly all your life to keep you alive, there is bound to be the odd time where it has a bit of a hiccup. We're just more conscious of it because it's the heart(!) rather than any other random muscle in the body.
    I've had it at various points throughout my life, and only if it becomes more frequent (lasts for more than a few hours) or worsens in nature (other symptoms on top of it) would I seek medical help, because more often than not the GP won't think it is anything unusual.

Good luck with your appointment though OP, hopefully there isn't anything more serious and it gives you peace of mind

ReputationRep:
    Just found out they can fit my ECG in today

Will post results soon!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.