Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that I'm just going to give it all I've got and apply for Medicine against all my slight worries because its what I know I really want, but due to my lack of chemistry at AS/A2 my options are pretty limited. So far I've found Newcastle, East Anglia, Peninsula, and perhaps Keele (with a foundation year), that would possibly accept me - given that I achieved the right grades of course. However, I'm struggling to find any other alternatives, possibly by 6 year (foundation) courses, as most of them are aimed at people who have done arts/humanities instead (to widen the base for potential doctors of the future i believe?), however Im doing maths physics biology at A2 with PE at AS Any thoughts (on uni's not my subject choices )?

The other thing was my lack of work experience, I'm very close to getting some voluntary exp in a nursing home (just waiting for a reference to go through), but I have no experience from a doctors perspective (so to speak). I'm going to visit a GP to ask (both out of hope and desperation) about the possibility of w/exp, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to ask them any intelligent questions that would either give me an insight into what its like to be a doctor, or their advice on my application/personal statement......... the problem is I planned this before i thought of any questions for myself?! Any help on this front would be greatly appreciated!

Also I'm very sorry if I've been a durhh-brain and put this in the wrong section without thinking, im sort of rushing it, sorry

Thanks
    Will

ReputationRep:
    how would you write your ps, and the deadline's in less 3 weeks, how will you get wrk expwithin tme and write about it in your ps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrt23498)
    how would you write your ps, and the deadline's in less 3 weeks, how will you get wrk expwithin tme and write about it in your ps?
    Yeah, that sort of worries me too unfortunately, i really havent had the easiest time finding just this nursing home placement never mind anything in hospitals/surgeries etc. It's what I've finally decided I want however so I can't let it stop me, if I get all rejections I guess I have an extra year to find experience. Right now though i just want to focus on applying this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justWill)
    Yeah, that sort of worries me too unfortunately, i really havent had the easiest time finding just this nursing home placement never mind anything in hospitals/surgeries etc. It's what I've finally decided I want however so I can't let it stop me, if I get all rejections I guess I have an extra year to find experience. Right now though i just want to focus on applying this year
    I suggest avoiding Keele, East Anglia and Peninsula. They all love the personal statement, and from your lack of experience - unless you're the world's greatest author - yours isn't (likely) going to be absolutely shining!

ReputationRep:
    I know Bradford university do a course called 'Clinical Sciences' that is verrrry intense but if you get in and you're in like the top 10-20% of the students doing it they transfer you into the second year of medicine at Leeds uni so you don't waste any time really. If you don't ace it but you did good they will give you a place in year 1 of Medicine and if you haven't done well at all you can carry it on as a degree and then maybe apply as a graduate or just carry on with it?
    Research it and ring them I'm not sure of the entry requirements. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I suggest avoiding Keele, East Anglia and Peninsula. They all love the personal statement, and from your lack of experience - unless you're the world's greatest author - yours isn't (likely) going to be absolutely shining!
    Hrrmmm that makes things a little more...... i want to say interesting but all i can think is difficult. It doesn't seem like I have a lot of choice really though? Unless you'd reccomend going for biosciences and doing medicine postgraduate if i still feel the same way then? The only other thing is I've still got my UKCAT to do next week, if i can somehow get an impressive score at this, would it affect any of the unis of thinking of's decision about my application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justWill)
    Hrrmmm that makes things a little more...... i want to say interesting but all i can think is difficult. It doesn't seem like I have a lot of choice really though? Unless you'd reccomend going for biosciences and doing medicine postgraduate if i still feel the same way then? The only other thing is I've still got my UKCAT to do next week, if i can somehow get an impressive score at this, would it affect any of the unis of thinking of's decision about my application?
    No! Apply to more academic universities, like Oxford/Cambridge. And if you fail, take a gap year!

Mind you, you still have to write a damnably good personal statement! Just your experience won't be as important. But remember to promise to do more experience, expand your horizons for the interview.

EDIT: But they require chemistry <_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    No! Apply to more academic universities, like Oxford/Cambridge. And if you fail, take a gap year!

Mind you, you still have to write a damnably good personal statement! Just your experience won't be as important. But remember to promise to do more experience, expand your horizons for the interview.
    Ummm I appreciate the advice however I'm almost certain oxford/cambridge specify chemistry is a must, and however much i like the idea of a gap year it doesnt get around the chemistry problem, or do me any big favours financially etc....

I am in my PS basically promising i will have experience come interview time, and for now all i can do is my best to try and achieve an interview offer so that I can go and show how I've taken the initiative and achieved on that.... assuming all goes to plan which I'm sure won't be as smooth as I'm hoping, but hopes all I've got you know

EDIT - ah sorry, saw your edit about chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Don't apply this year, apply in the next application cycle. I know you are thinking, but I want to Med, I want to go now. But thats a waste of £75 on a ukcat which you need to prepare for and £21 for your UCAS application; when you haven't done chemistry and you haven't written your ps.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get in.
    Take chemistry AS or something and reapply with experience.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.