Turn on thread page Beta

Would scrappng 'mickey mouse degrees' solve the funding crisis? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I don't know if anyone has said anything similar but why not literally have a 'mickey mouse degree? A degree in Disney (the films, the short animations, the theme parks, the merchandising/marketing, the structure/poltics of the company, the iconography, literature about Disney (yes, there are some serious books but they are sadly few and far between- which doesn't bode well for hoping that more serious books about videogames might shortly emerge too). The course could also cover Pixar and Dreamworks.

I suppose that some media studies or animation courses would touch on certain parts of this.
    Because it'd be a pointless waste of taxpayers money? Most people could learn anything this "degree" would teach them by a quick search on the internet.

(Original post by Picnic1)
    I don't know if anyone has said anything similar but why not literally have a 'mickey mouse degree? A degree in Disney (the films, the short animations, the theme parks, the merchandising/marketing, the structure/poltics of the company, the iconography, literature about Disney (yes, there are some serious books but they are sadly few and far between- which doesn't bode well for hoping that more serious books about videogames might shortly emerge too). The course could also cover Pixar and Dreamworks.

I suppose that some media studies or animation courses would touch on certain parts of this.
    Excellent idea. The ideological/political content and context of Disney films alone would provide core material for such a degree but, as you suggest, there are all kinds of other dimensions which could provide study content.

On a side-note, a while back I bought a book in a second-hand shop entitled Fifty Key Television Programmes, a collection edited by Glen Creeber of scholarly essays on well-known TV programmes, from The Benny Hill Show and Dallas to Jerry Springer, Star Trek and The Prisoner. I'm not a media studies student but I'd recommend searching it out to anyone interested in the level of analysis that can be applied to popular TV as a starting point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullet_theory92)
    shouldnt everybody who wants to study at university be given a chance to study what theyre passionate about even if theyre not oxbridge standard?
    Yes, but they can pay for it themselves, and it shouldn't be called a degree if it doesn't reach a minimum standard of difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Djed)
    The value of education should not be judged in terms of employment and profit.
    I wholeheartedly agree. It's why I decided to study physics instead of engineering. I realised my only pull towards engineering was employment prospects. People should study the subject they are passionate for and not those which will earn them the money (unless unfotrunately that is your passion).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    why does everyone on TSR always use the same phrase?
    And this is obviously just going to turn into people doing science etc bashing everyone who does anything arts or humanities related...sigh.
    WHY CAN'T THERE BE PEACE BETWEEN ALL SUBJECTS??? WHY???? :'(
    Because in any given STEM class, there will be several individuals whose fragile egos will wither and die if you don't acknowledge the awesomeness of their maths-penis.

Whenever you talk to one of these people and they brag about how much more challenging their subjects are, it's always the maths, how hard the maths is and how very clever they are for being just so good at maths.

Comp sci grads brag about how they have been neck deep in game theory and hideously complex algorithms. Econ and finance peeps go on about how no normal person could possibly comprehend a blacks-scholes pricing model. Engineering grads brag about their supernatural calculus abilities. Psych and sociology grads mention their ANOVAs and Kruskal-Wallace tests, but they are shot down on the basis that they're doing girls subjects and therefore not real maths and anyway, they don't all have A level maths so it's clearly not worth anything at all.

Maths grads don't brag that much, for the same reason that people with 12 inchers don't need to buy Porsches.

ReputationRep:
    I think that you're being quite unfair about the examples like the Portsmouth maths example, and like someone else said, some people who aren't very academically clever still want to go to university and they shouldn't be prevented from doing so. However I do think that degrees in things like grass, and wine, and other things like this should be abolished to be honest, they're pointless.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see you tell me my degree in TSR studies is useless to my face... :-p

I don't see any other degrees teaching what the minimum height requirement is for a muslim virgin man, who's 24 and hasn't kissed a girl, secretly racist, supports the BNP, and doesn't know if he's attractive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BillySharp92)
    I definitely think many needless courses do need to be scrapped. A greater focus in general on degrees such as sciences, engineering and maths are needed rather than the arts.

Sciences> Arts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mickey Mouses
    Oh, please.

Say goodbye to your journalists, teachers, lawyers and researchers, then - most of them take Arts degrees.

Traditional Arts degrees (History, English, Law, Languages) are as important as science, maths and engineering. Society could not function properly with the absence of either the arts or the sciences.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    We're obsessed enough as it is with utility and profit within our education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    There's no reason why media can't be as academically rigorous as, say, history, geography or anthropology. Moreover, there's no reason why we should believe they aren't as academically rigorous at any given institution unless there's compelling objective evidence to suggest that is the case. Just because some people here and elsewhere want to play snobbery games over subjects and accuse some degrees of being 'Mickey Mouse degrees' it doesn't count for actual evidence, it's just their opinion. By all means accuse specific degrees offered by specific universities of being below acceptable standards, and provide the supporting evidence, but don't expect to call a subject 'Mickey Mouse' and get away with it.
    In the post you QUOTED I said "I'm sure some institutions DO provide academic courses" meaning that some do, and others don't.

Each individual course spec needs to be assessed.

ReputationRep:
    I can only use a "case study" to describe my opinion on this topic.

My brothers mate, who is a really really lovely girl lost her way slightly in sixth form and ended up with terrible grades. She was never academic so wasn't expected to get good grades anyway. However she got into manchester met to do something like events management. Before she got in she was one of the stereotypical teens like binge drinking on the streets etc, she was in the wrong crowd. But now shes in this events managements course doing really well for herself and she is motivated and wants to make something of her life. If she hadnt gone to uni she would have stuck at home with some dead end job.

Yeah I agree that degrees are almost becoming worthless because of all these easier courses, but the experience is still as valuable for WHATEVER degree. I think alternative courses should be offered in more vocational courses at universities that maybe dont hold the value of a degree? I'm not sure how to approach it but completely getting rid of courses and not allowing everyone to have the chance at going to uni (yeah she grew up through the experience of moving away, meeting new people etc) is not the way to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_hopeful_uk)
    We've got 120 universities, probably only ~50 or so who produce graduates who enter actual graduate jobs. Whilst i acknowledge some of the 70 others produce nurses and teachers which we need, should the non-essential degrees at the bottom universities be scrapped?

Do we really need Portsmouth 'Mathematics' graduates studying A Level Maths and getting a degree from it?

In a world where money grows on trees it would be great if everyone had a degree (except it would defeat the point of a qualification), but not only do we not live in this world, but we also have NO MONEY.

If the tories are going to cut defence, they may as well get some balls and stop teenagers from wasting 3 years of their lives and getting 20k atleast, in debt.

Somebody with no GCSEs and a couple of E grade A Levels in Media Studies and Film Studies isnt suddenly going to set the world on fire with his BSc Animation Studies from Greenwich.

EDIT This could either save the country money, or even lead to greater subsidies for poorer students.
    How would you define what is and what is not a mickey mouse degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Not really... There seems to be no point to your post. Are you implying that a science course that encompasses wave physics, oceanography and meteorology, marine biology, streamlining designs, manufacturing processes, teaching and instruction skill, business management and a scientific research project is a waste of time?
    The point to my post is that I am implying that Surf Science is a "Mickey Mouse Degree" as stated in the title. It's a stupid and pointless degree, and is about as useful as a bucket of sand in the Sahara Desert.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankRabbit)
    The point to my post is that I am implying that Surf Science is a "Mickey Mouse Degree" as stated in the title. It's a stupid and pointless degree, and is about as useful as a bucket of sand in the Sahara Desert.
    But what about it is 'Mickey Mouse'? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_hopeful_uk)
    A management degree which requires a gold handicap....

http://www.education.bham.ac.uk/prog..._studies.shtml

Why does a management degree in golf require a golf handicap?
    Damn... just found this thread, working my way through.

Oh yeah.

THIS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I'm the dumb one, I'm not doing interior design. So according to you the basis of your degree being somewhat useful is that you can get into architecture after it :lolwut:. and I saw your link all of those things students made. Is it worth being 25k in debt to do something which obviously did not require a degree hell no. If you planned to do a degree in architecture then you shouldn't have wasted 3 years doing your degree.
    Still, you haven't done your research. It's not about fabrics, paint, wallpaper, furniture etc. that's just the finishing touch. Proper interior design (not the crap you see on home makeover shows) is about creating structures such as this: http://www.uptodatedesign.com/wp-con...evel-Green.jpg Do you really think that people would be allowed to do that without any training?
    Yes, you can get into proper interior design, or interior architecture as many call it without doing a degree, but barely anyone will take you on.
    I don't want to do architecture, it's too limited with planning permission etc. I'm just stating that people with interior design degrees can get onto architecture masters courses.
    Want my lecturers' numbers? They'll show you where to stick it.
    When you know nothing about a course and presume all these crappy things just keep your gob shut okay? If any designer, architect or engineer saw what you're stating they'd laugh at how ignorant you are.

ReputationRep:
    But what about it is 'Mickey Mouse'? :confused:
    Haha I don't understand this either, and I bet that most people who use this term don't either. They're sheep, who've been taught to think the way they do about the world by their snobby parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankRabbit)
    Politician in the making, ignoring people's questions because you've just realised you're wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Still, you haven't done your research. It's not about fabrics, paint, wallpaper, furniture etc. that's just the finishing touch. Proper interior design (not the crap you see on home makeover shows) is about creating structures such as this: http://www.uptodatedesign.com/wp-con...evel-Green.jpg Do you really think that people would be allowed to do that without any training?
    Yes, you can get into proper interior design, or interior architecture as many call it without doing a degree, but barely anyone will take you on.
    I don't want to do architecture, it's too limited with planning permission etc. I'm just stating that people with interior design degrees can get onto architecture masters courses.
    Want my lecturers' numbers? They'll show you where to stick it.
    When you know nothing about a course and presume all these crappy things just keep your gob shut okay? If any designer, architect or engineer saw what you're stating they'd laugh at how ignorant you are.
    To add to it you also go to a rubbish uni. Seriously stop wasting tax payer money on your worthless degree. Do an apprenticeship or something. It's not worth being in 25k in debt to do interior design :lolwut:. There's a reason why it mostly ex polys that offer it. Interior design should not be a degree it should just be a higher education course. I'd class it as Mickey Mouse.

The entry requirements are also a joke.

Diploma in Foundation Studies: Art and Design
    BTEC National Diploma: Art and Design
    GCE A-level in Applied Art and Design

ReputationRep:
    Not really... There seems to be no point to your post. Are you implying that a science course that encompasses wave physics, oceanography and meteorology, marine biology, streamlining designs, manufacturing processes, teaching and instruction skill, business management and a scientific research project is a waste of time?
    I know you mean well, but I think you've trivialised the bits in bold. Meterology and marine biology are huge subjects in their own right - certainly, you could do a PhD in either field. Also, I imagine the wave physics, and streamline design you mention would be taught on a basic level - I do coastal engineering and it's a very academic course. Understanding the physics of artificial waves is hard, let alone naturally produced waves; as is boundary layer theory which is essential for streamlining.

What I'm getting at is that a lot of the areas you mention in your post would have to be taught at a fairly high academic degree for it to be useful in design, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say universities offering surf science don't meet this criteria.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.