Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would scrappng 'mickey mouse degrees' solve the funding crisis? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Politician in the making, ignoring people's questions because you've just realised you're wrong.
    No not really, I just added surf science to the list as I think it isn't a very useful degree. It's my opinion after all, you don't have to agree with me. Would you study it for three years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    The entry requirements are also a joke.

Diploma in Foundation Studies: Art and Design
    BTEC National Diploma: Art and Design
    GCE A-level in Applied Art and Design
    Why is that a joke? I do a BTEC National Diploma in art and design and honestly I've never worked so hard in my life it's a ridiculous amount of work. Shouldnt I be rewarded with a place at uni?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    But what about it is 'Mickey Mouse'? :confused:
    It's about surfing. Why would you need a degree on Surfing? What career requires you to have a degree in surfing? It all seems so silly to me, but hey, it's my opinion I guess.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sallyok)
    Why is that a joke? I do a BTEC National Diploma in art and design and honestly I've never worked so hard in my life it's a ridiculous amount of work. Shouldnt I be rewarded with a place at uni?!
    No you should be rewarded a place on a higher education course not a degree. BTEC are not the same level as A level they are designed for those less academically able, people like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    No you should be rewarded a place on a higher education course not a degree. BTEC are not the same level as A level they are designed for those less academically able, people like yourself.
    Why not a degree? And a little bit of a stereotype there, ever thought I was just interested in art not "less academically able". I could have easily gone on to do A levels, I got fantastic GCSE grades and have always been very academic I just chose to do something a little bit different because i ENJOYED it.

ReputationRep:
    There are some very bad degrees out there. But a mathematics degree is hardly one of them. When I hear Mickey mouse degree I think of ones like a friend was on last year called "Art therapy".... I mean come on
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Why not a degree? And a little bit of a stereotype there, ever thought I was just interested in art not "less academically able". I could have easily gone on to do A levels, I got fantastic GCSE grades and have always been very academic I just chose to do something a little bit different because i ENJOYED it.
    Great you enjoyed it but it doesn't warrant a degree. If someone is doing a BTEC I don't think they deserve to have a degree, a degree isn't for everyone. It's suppose to show the top end of the country, which BTEC students are not in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechaton-x)
    Excuse me, I don't see how you can be so elitist with ABBCCCCCCDDD?
    I think someone should have done Media Studies GCSE!
    You sound like someone who thinks that their GCSE's make them intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrankRabbit)
    It's about surfing. Why would you need a degree on Surfing? What career requires you to have a degree in surfing? It all seems so silly to me, but hey, it's my opinion I guess.
    But it's not about surfing, or rather it's not just about surfing! My entire post was pointing out that it incorporates very academic modules (and I believe you also get qualifications from a external organisation) that qualify a graduate to do something like run a water-sports instruction centre or become a manufacturer of top-quality surf equipment. It's a very niche degree, but I wouldn't say it was 'Mickey Mouse'.

Have you even looked at it?

(Original post by Peel)
    I know you mean well, but I think you've trivialised the bits in bold. Meterology and marine biology are huge subjects in their own right - certainly, you could do a PhD in either field. Also, I imagine the wave physics, and streamline design you mention would be taught on a basic level - I do coastal engineering and it's a very academic course. Understanding the physics of artificial waves is hard, let alone naturally produced waves; as is boundary layer theory which is essential for streamlining.

What I'm getting at is that a lot of the areas you mention in your post would have to be taught at a fairly high academic degree for it to be useful in design, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say universities offering surf science don't meet this criteria.
    I see what you're saying, but at the same time it's comparable to me studying optics as a module where people can do whole physics degrees, or I did a year-long module on ophthalmic lenses whilst some people make lenses their whole career - I didn't do anywhere near as much of it as these other people, but I have learnt what is relevant to optometry. I could have learnt about quantum physics ... but what would be the point, really? Conversely, I studied about five times as much anatomy in my first year as they did on the ophtalmic dispensing degree*, because ocular anatomy is far more relevant to an optometrist than a dispenser.

Similarly, whilst I don't argue that you'd learn a lot more about these areas in some other degrees, the fact that the surf science and technology courses produces graduates who can become designers and manufacturers is evidence that they are learning relevant and necessary material in their degree.

* From a coursemate who has done lenses already, and reckoned it was about a fifth.

(Original post by FrankRabbit)
    [sigh]. The degree subject is not really what determines its viability in terms of academic rigour - it's the actual intellectual demands which are imposed upon the student during study which does that. All degrees, at least in the UK, are expected to develop skills in things like time-management, independent research, close and deep reading, critical reasoning and communication skills with regard to complex or subtle issues and problems (etc). To this end a degree studying the social and political dimensions of Mickey Mouse cartoons could be as equally challenging, and equally developing of transferable skills, as any other. Likewise with a degree in 'surfing' should it actually exist. Your question, in any event, could be asked of subjects like philosophy or history - other than teaching or writing about philosophy or history there's not an awful lot of opportunities of professional philosophers and historians (though I'm sure they do exist). Given that philosophy is possibly the longest standing subject to be studied at university this suggests that, again, it's not about the superficial career 'viability' but the skills gained and which can be used elsewhere.

There's a painful irony in this thread wherein those seeking to criticise so-called 'Mickey Mouse' degrees because of their alleged academic shorfalls, can't actually grasp the subtle realities of what degree courses are designed to do.

ReputationRep:
    To add to it you also go to a rubbish uni. Seriously stop wasting tax payer money on your worthless degree. Do an apprenticeship or something. It's not worth being in 25k in debt to do interior design :lolwut:. There's a reason why it mostly ex polys that offer it. Interior design should not be a degree it should just be a higher education course. I'd class it as Mickey Mouse.

The entry requirements are also a joke.

Diploma in Foundation Studies: Art and Design
    BTEC National Diploma: Art and Design
    GCE A-level in Applied Art and Design
    A substantial number of optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, nursing etc courses are also offered at ex-polys. Would you argue that these are 'worthless degrees' to do because they're at ex-polys?

For example, is my optometry degree from Anglia Ruskin somehow worth less than one from Manchester, even though both are approved by the General Optical Council (governing body for optometry standards,) I'd have studied the same material if I'd gone to Manchester and had to fulfil the same requirements throughout my course, got the same qualification (actually, not true - ARU has the only Bachelor of Optometry course in the UK - but worth the same) and gone on to the same jobs?

ReputationRep:
    No. People work really hard on plumbing apprenticeships, does that mean they should go to UCL to study for a BSc in Plumbing Science?

University should be about qualified academics teaching and researching academic subjects - the Humanities, Social Sciences, Earth Sciences, Natural Sciences, etc. For subjects, particularly the vocational or industry-specific ones, where research isn't commonly done in teaching institutions, higher education courses should be available outside of universities.

You cannot get a degree in art and design, at least you shouldn't be able to.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    A substantial number of optometry, pharmacy, physiotherapy, nursing etc courses are also offered at ex-polys. Would you argue that these are 'worthless degrees' to do because they're at ex-polys?

For example, is my optometry degree from Anglia Ruskin somehow worth less than one from Manchester, even though both are approved by the General Optical Council (governing body for optometry standards,) I'd have studied the same material if I'd gone to Manchester and had to fulfil the same requirements throughout my course, got the same qualification (actually, not true - ARU has the only Bachelor of Optometry course in the UK - but worth the same) and gone on to the same jobs?
    Are you arguing based on the fact your one course is accredited ex polys are somehow in the league of Manchester. Don't be sill. Anglia Ruskin (and 99% of other ex polys) are still crap, they still draw in students of a low calibre. Kingston also offer Economics (the subject I do) does that mean it's somehow useful? Hell no. That course is a joke to be frank. In situations where there is no independent authority maintaining standards you'll find the courses are poor.

ReputationRep:
    Are you arguing based on the fact your one course is accredited ex polys are somehow in the league of Manchester. Don't be sill. Anglia Ruskin (and 99% of other ex polys) are still crap, they still draw in students of a low calibre. Kingston also offer Economics (the subject I do) does that mean it's somehow useful? Hell no. That course is a joke to be frank. In situations where there is no independent authority maintaining standards you'll find the courses are poor.
    No, I'm arguing that a course run by an ex-poly isn't inherently crap and worthless purely because it is at an ex-poly.

ReputationRep:
    I agree partially.

The wastefull degrees in increadibly pointless subjects which are either not needed or irrelevant to any job should be scrapped. But then, its the persons own choice to go there.

As for the elitist who believe lower end unis should be scrapped, and people who wasted their school years do not deserve the privilage to go to uni: are stupid, and arrogant.

Lower end unis allow those who messed up at A-Level-Level to go back and get another shot at making something of themselves. Not everyone wants to work hard, and not everyone really understands the importance of grades at lower levels.

Whats more, some lower end Universities (like mine) are very very good.

I resent such elitist remarks.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem I have with these 'mickey mouse' degrees is that it's an example of how snobby this country is about HE.

So many young people feel like they have to get a degree, whereas apprenticeships, NVQs etc. should be treated as respected alternatives. Irrespective of whether you think a particular 'mickey mouse' degree is useful or not, in many, many cases it's the case where the subject is better taught in a more vocational (and the lack of tuition fees make it a far cheaper) way.

ReputationRep:
    Great you enjoyed it but it doesn't warrant a degree. If someone is doing a BTEC I don't think they deserve to have a degree, a degree isn't for everyone. It's suppose to show the top end of the country, which BTEC students are not in.
    So what i do BTEC in IT, so i shouldn't be able to do a degree in Computer Science and yet, I would know more compared to "most" A level students ( In Terms of IT)
    The only close A level subject to Computer Science is Computing ( which is laugh) and only learn the basic's because they start learning about Computer Science when they start the course at degree level?

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth is someone that gets DDD in their BTEC undeserving of a university place compared to a BBB A levels student? As I understand it, the main difference between BTECs and A levels is that the former is based completely on coursework. It's up to the university to decide whether a BTEC student has the skills necessary for their degree and many top unis accept them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Apart from the fact BTEC's are stupidly easy. The amount of people who do it and say it was piss easy to testament to it. How can you take yourself seriously if you do it.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from the fact BTEC's are stupidly easy. The amount of people who do it and say it was piss easy to testament to it. How can you take yourself seriously if you do it.
    Because i would rather do something based sole on what i want to do, For example in IT, if i want to do A levels, i would have to do Maths and 2 other non-related subjects, which i wouldn't enjoy, plus the BTEC i do has 4 exams in it, so it aint just based on Coursework!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.