Turn on thread page Beta

Meat Cooking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I'm moving into self-catered halls next week and haven't had much experience cooking for myself up until now.

Does anyone have any tips for cooking meat? Mainly sausages, bacon, maybe a bit of chicken or some beefburgers. Basically I'm quite anxious to make sure it's cooked properly so I don't get food poisoning.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you're buying packs of sausages and prepared burgers then obviously follow the pack instructions. With most meat, the way to check if it is cooked is to cut it open at the thickest part and see if the meat is still pink in the middle or a uniform colour. If it's still pink then it will need longer cooking (the exception being lamb, large pieces of beef like roasts, and steak when of course you can eat it rare). Another test is to pierce the meat with a knife/skewer and then press on it to see the juices that run out- if they're clear then the meat is cooked, if the jucies are pink then a bit longer.

Bacon's a bit of an easier one- once it's light pink and the rind is crispy. I used to work with a chef who would eat bits of bacon raw because it's cured, so whilst I don't recommend following his example, your risks of poisoning are low with bacon.

Hope that helps, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Hey man.
    I'll tell you the best way that I cook my food.I follow a special diet and I mostly cook for myself.
    Steam,steam,steam!
    One water boiler and something that you cabn put on pot of it.Put Meat,chicken,sausage,ish in aluminum foil and put it on top of the water boiler.(Not sure how you call it you know it has small holes in it so that the staem can get through).
    Afterwards just buy yourself some Marinating sauce.Hp works best for me.Make sure that you like the sauce since all the flavor will come from it.
    It will work wonders.Just throw in brocoli or your favorite veggies there too.
    Oh btw.Buy frozen foods. Frozen foods are cheaper and you can keep them for a longer period of time.
    If you want also buy a small frying pan.Only use olive oil tho after you finished steaming your food.
    It's cheap,no cooking smoke,safe and deliciously healthy.

Another good idea would be an electric grill.Just throw ANYTHING in there and eat it .

ReputationRep:
    Get a temperature probe - will allow you to check the core temperature of your meat so you know it's not going to kill you

ReputationRep:
    Cook til cooked.

Chicken if you're unsure, cut open and look. Burgers, sausages you can tell by density. Bacon is easy to tell, you don't even need to cook bacon if you don't want.

Temperature probes are gimmicks until you get to really gourmet level of cooking in a restaurant when some dishes it is a godsend.

ReputationRep:
    for the sausages, its best to cook them in the oven at about 190 for 35 mins - it cooks them through with more certainty than pan-cooking them, and also is healthier! Just a little touch of olive oil.

Grill bacon for 3 mins aside, depending on how crispy you like it.

Burgers the same - 5/6 mins aside so there are slightly caramelised.

Chicken: Breasts take about 20 mins under the grill or in the oven, but legs and thighs I would give more like 35 minutes. Both at about 190. Make sure you season them with olive oil thought, other they will go dry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aper_son)
    Hi all,
    I'm moving into self-catered halls next week and haven't had much experience cooking for myself up until now.

Does anyone have any tips for cooking meat? Mainly sausages, bacon, maybe a bit of chicken or some beefburgers. Basically I'm quite anxious to make sure it's cooked properly so I don't get food poisoning.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    I've been cooking for years and I'm very good at it, so take this advice..

Sausages: Heat a pan to top heat with oil in it, then reduce to a mid-low heat, put on sausages and let them slowly cook. The skin won't generally break and they'll be soft inside. If you want to know if they're cooked, pierce with a fork and see how hot the fork is.

Bacon: pre heated at a medium temp, couple of rashers, 3 minutes, flip, 3 minutes, turn the heat up to top, flip for about 20 seconds to colour it, again the next side. Plate.

Chicken: Two ways to do good chicken. If its chicken pieces, cook the same way you would sausages, you can add spices etc into the olive oil while its cooking on a low-mid heat, leave it for a good half an hour while turning now and again. You can also run down frozen chicken breasts with olive oil, spice them, put onto a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes. I prefer to bake them, comes out softer with a crispier skin.

Beefburgers: Highish heat, plop them onto a frying pan and cook then flip, very simple. Or, grill them on a high heat and flip after 20 minutes. You can eat steak pink but not burgers, so make sure its cooked all the way through. Some burgers have "blood", its actually water, just lift the burger up and flip when the water starts to come through.

And never ever ever reheat pork.

ReputationRep:
    Cook mostly beef and you're fine. It's very safe to eat it rare. Everything else, just cut it open to see if it's pink inside. If it is cook it longer.

ReputationRep:
    Aah thanks for this. I had checked around the internet but found conflicting reports and most of the websites seemed to be aimed at massive turkeys and casseroles and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a George Foreman, or similar, grill. Healthier, quicker and food tastes better. Make sure the chicken is not pink!!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.