Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how can i get my parents to let me sleep at my boyfriends house? watch

My parents are REALLY old fashioned and my mums reason for saying no is 'theres nothing wrong with seeing eachother until 9pm then coming home'. i am only 16. and so is he. his parents dont mind me sleeping round there at all, but he would have to sleep downstairs and id sleep in his room. but i dont know how to convince my parents of this, i really want to sleep round though helppp?

we have already had sex, have been together a few months but been best friends for a few years. my mum doesnt know we've had sex.

You can't. Parents have rules and it's up to them to decide what they think is appropriate for their children.

You can however, sit them down and ask if you can make new arrangements or consider letting you have some more responsibility. If you show them you can be mature, they be more lenient, but at the end of the day, it's their house, their rules.

Maybe your mum doesn't quite know what to make of your relationship and isn't sure whether you've taken it to that level yet. It might sound like a cringeworthy prospect, but maybe you should sit down with your parents and be frank about the nature of your relationship - if you're mature enough to be having sex, you should be able to talk to them about it. Reassure them that you are being responsible with contraception. Once they know you are being careful and have the maturity to be able to discuss it with them, they might loosen the rules a bit. However, you are only 16, so don't expect miracles. Your parents don't sound old-fashioned - they just care about you and your welfare. Many, many other parents hold the same views as yours.

It's out of your control. All you can do is show them that you are mature enough, but it's unlikely that they will change their decision very quickly. It's not something they are going to decide on overnight..

My parents were like that when I was 16. It's still a young age and I understand why they stopped me. Once I reached 17 they let me have a lot more freedom and I was then allowed to stay at boyfriends' houses. Just give it time.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.