Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your AEA Strategy for June 2011? *early but I want your plans for later* :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

So I completed Maths A-level last summer and achieved an A*. This year i'm doing FM AS - FP1, FP2, S2.

Anyway, AEA is based on C1-C4. Obviously i'll use some of the C1-C4 knowledge in FM but over time, i'll probably forget parts.

So, how should somebody like me go about revision for the AEA?

I have the Specification...

I'm thinking maybe I should revise the topics on the spec and refresh my memory from the A-level books and copy worked examples, etc, so I refresh how to use the formulas and answer the questions for the general topics.

Do this for the whole AEA spec by January (will be done much earlier).

And then from January onwards, try a paper every week until June?

Please advise me on anything that you could suggest that could help me achieve my maximum potential mark. I am aiming for atleast a Merit, but i'll push for a Distinction.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see how you'd manage a paper a week between the end of January and sometime in June when there's only around 10 practice papers available.

If you look around TSR you'll find things like the Oxford entrance exam past papers and some older 'S' papers that should be good to practise with as preparation. Try to find any difficult C1-C4 material that you may have available (I used a few older maths textbooks that were being thrown away from my college.

Considering it's still only September, I wouldn't stress about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apex9)
    I can't see how you'd manage a paper a week between the end of January and sometime in June when there's only around 10 practice papers available.

If you look around TSR you'll find things like the Oxford entrance exam past papers and some older 'S' papers that should be good to practise with as preparation. Try to find any difficult C1-C4 material that you may have available (I used a few older maths textbooks that were being thrown away from my college.

Considering it's still only September, I wouldn't stress about it too much.
    I meant once every two weeks, sorry.

I'll do the 'exam practice' from older and harder questions, yes.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do and how did you prepare?

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    try practice some STEP papers, that will make AEA feel like another c3/c4 test, and there is plenty of past papers for that as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenman500)
    try practice some STEP papers, that will make AEA feel like another c3/c4 test, and there is plenty of past papers for that as well
    I would say STEP and the AEA are actually quite different exams styles and there's not as much crossover as you might think.

Old S-level papers are better prep for the AEA in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I would say STEP and the AEA are actually quite different exams styles and there's not as much crossover as you might think.

I was thinking this too.

Old S-level papers are better prep for the AEA in my opinion.

Do you have a link for these? In terms of relative difficulty compared to the AEA, how would you place them, more or less difficult?
    Thanks.

Also, would doing Solomon papers help, by any chance?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    See if your school offers support for AEA ours did, don't necessarily do whole papers each week try doing questions from AEA papers to start with.
    It worked for me, and I am not even doing maths at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    See if your school offers support for AEA ours did, don't necessarily do whole papers each week try doing questions from AEA papers to start with.
    It worked for me, and I am not even doing maths at Uni.
    I doubt it.

I don't think anybody from my school has EVER sat the AEA.

We're not very... academic lol.

Even my A* was a fluke. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenman500)
    The STEP and AEA are very different though, aren't they?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.