Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At Uni and can't cook PLEASE HELP!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can just about fry an egg. My fave food is curry and pasta. I don't want to get into the habit of getting takeaways so I want to learn how to cook. Can anyone give me a few SIMPLE recipes?!

THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    ...To be honest I just buy a supermarket pizza and bung it into the oven after my first attempt at spaghetti was a fail...

You could ask any of your flatmates/floormates if they can cook and ask them to teach you simple things?

ReputationRep:
    Microwaves are brilliant

You starve and you die!

ReputationRep:
    Baked potato.

Can't get much easier, surely.

ReputationRep:
    There are some great (and cheap) student cookbooks out there. I think WH Smiths has a good selection.

ReputationRep:
    PM me and I can impart my knowledge of the kitchen, for I am woman.
    Seriosuly though, pastas are my speciality and I made a MEAN curry the other night - I'll give you the recipies.

ReputationRep:
    Buy some cookbooks and follow them, cooking is pretty easy tbh...my speciality is fajitas <3

ReputationRep:
    Loads of cookbooks are available for people who have literally never cooked before. Some even have pictures. Also, most stuff tells you how to cook it on the packet.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    right quick and easy curry:

Go to any supermarket, buy a jar of curry sauce (whatever your fav is, i normally go for a tikka masala) and buy some rice and some chicken breasts (skinless)

In a frying pan put some olive oil and heat till hot
    chop up the chicken into chunk size pieces
    add to the frying pan and keep on rotating them until they are white all over and just about turning brown in places
    add the curry sauce and heat for another 10 minutes maybe? (check the jar to see what it suggests)
    meanwhile boil a pan of water
    add a sprinkle of salt
    pour in some rice (normally about 1/3 of a mug works quantity wise, but depends on person!)
    in 10 minutes drain rice

hope that helps =D

I also do the same thing but instead of curry sauce i add sweet chilli sauce, sweet and sour sauce and any kind of sauce really, absolutely lush and very easy to do!

good, easy to follow cookbooks =
    good food, 101 cheap eats
    nosh 4 students
    the ultimate student cookbook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    right quick and easy curry:

good, easy to follow cookbooks =
    good food, 101 cheap eats
    nosh 4 students
    the ultimate student cookbook
    I have that one :ahee:

Should definitely get 'From Pasta to Pancakes'
    Brilliant student cookbook.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Claire_Spoon)
    I have that one :ahee:

Should definitely get 'From Pasta to Pancakes'
    Brilliant student cookbook.
    i've heard that one is good =D
    been at uni nearly 3 weeks now and barely used cookbooks tho, just kinda used what i already knew, cooking chicken in gravy with roast potatoes and carrots tomorrow =D yum!

ReputationRep:
    1. Chicken breast (defrosed)

2. Place on foil

3. Place sauce of choice under + on chicken (curry sauce = awesome!)

4. Wrap chicken fully in the foil leaving no holes

5. Place in a heated oven (on 200)

6. Wait for about 30-40 mins (this is where bbc, itv player time comes in)

7. Cook a boil in the bag rice when there is about 10 cooking time left for chicken

8. Take chicken out and cut in half to check its fully cooked

9. Put on plate and eat an awesome meal!

That is what ive done for about 3 days now...not bored yet as I've changed the sauce a few times

ReputationRep:
    A lot of things have cooking instructions on the packet. For instance, if you buy a jar of pasta and a jar of sauce, it will tell you how to use them. The same with jars of curry paste or sauce.

If you just follow those instructions you should end up with something ok.

I would advise you to check things though, not just follow blindly. So if you're cooking pasta, after 10 minutes, take out one piece of pasta on a spoon, wait for it to cool a little, and eat it. That way you don't risk draining it all and then finding it's still too hard.

It's easy to make a variety of sauces for pasta with a base of onion and chopped tomatoes:

-Chop an onion and a couple of cloves of garlic finely.
    -Fry with olive oil in a saucepan on a low heat until onions are softer and slightly translucent.
    -Add tin of chopped tomatoes, and simmer until it's thick and sauce-like, rather than like tomatoey water with lumps.

You can adapt this by adding other ingredients after you fry the onions and before you add the tomatoes. For example:
    -Minced beef, and you will have a basic bolognese (you'll want to double the quantities and use 2 onions and 2 tins of tomatoes for a small pack of mince though).
    -A couple of rashers of bacon.
    -Vegetables like peppers, courgettes, mushrooms.

Making sauces like this should be healthier than using bought sauces in jars, which usually have quite a lot of added sugar and salt. If you're adding other ingredients like meat and vegetables you're also getting a more balanced diet than just eating pasta and sauce.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget fruit! Seriously, I used to just buy a ton of fruit, I got an Argos basic blender, and used to just put chopped fruit in with ice and blend. It's amazing , and after working as a smoothie maker for nearly 2 years I know what I'm saying when I tell you they Re really healthy, wake you up, are quick and easy, and you can make loads to keep for ages .

ReputationRep:
    pasta is like the easiest thing to cook:
    1) Buy pasta
    2) Buy pasta sauce
    3) Follow instructions
    4) ??????
    5) Profit

ReputationRep:
    i recommend the book Nosh 4 Students. i paid about £4 on amazon for it, with free delivery, and it is fantastic! i am a very fussy eater and found loads of recipes i would eat, fave being the creamy chicken with rice and the tuna pasta bake. the author wrote it for her son who was starting uni and also couldnt cook so would send him recipe cards and eventually decided to just make them into a book.

ReputationRep:
    use the bbc food website, lots of good meals there, usually with easy to follow instructions.

ReputationRep:
    Make a chicken stir fry? Chicken, put in some soya sauce with it and let it cook a bit, throw in the vegetable packets you can get from a supermarket especially for stir-fries... add in any other sauce like a thai sweet chilli sauce or something, then add in the noodles... voila? I mean, I think you can change the order around and it wouldn't really mess it up or anything.

Alternatively, check the TSR e-recipebook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimes_14)
    I can just about fry an egg. My fave food is curry and pasta. I don't want to get into the habit of getting takeaways so I want to learn how to cook. Can anyone give me a few SIMPLE recipes?!

THANKS!
    I advise that you go here:
    http://www.beyondbakedbeans.com/categories/20070729_3

It's really good, no-nonsense advice and it's not too patronising.
    Given that the first item on that list of recipes is a cup of tea, it's about as basic as cooking gets.

Find a recipe you like, read through it carefully and visualise yourself doing each step. Print it out if you can, buy your ingredients, get in the kitchen and follow the instructions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.