Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At Uni and can't cook PLEASE HELP!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Purchase 'GoodFood - 101 cheap eats', it's cheap as chips!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...101+cheap+eats

I bought it a few weeks ago, tried a couple of recipes and found it so simple to make. Just follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys for your posts and recipes. I'll try them and let you know how it went! By the way I can't even use a Microwave properly or bake a potatoe! Thats how useless I am!

Wow you really are useless.

Microwave Put food in microwave. Set time. Start microwave. When it's done (should be obvious), take out the food.

Baked potatoes (comparatively difficult) Cut potatoes (please tell me you know what a baked potato looks like), cover in oil (so they get crispy not just hard when cooked), season and stick in oven at 180-200 degrees C (Baked foods tend to use this range of temperates, timings will vary depending on food and portion obvs). Watch your potatoes and note when they get golden brown (for the colour, draw on your experiences with properly cooked food, i.e. parents' cooking, restaurants, takeaways, Google Images...). The crucial thing is to get them out before they burn (turn an undesirable black colour). To do this, keep an eye on the potatoes and note the time it takes for it to cook for next time.

Oh yeah, and put in the filling before you bake the potato (scoop out potato first and mix with filling). Otherwise you just get boring baked potatoes.

ReputationRep:
    cereal. milkshake. pasta. more pasta. tuna/chicken. cheesey chips. crisps. alcohol. alcohol. alcohol.
    is what my diet has consisted of so far :P
    cant go wrong with baked beans/sausages either

ReputationRep:
    if u fancy something a bit different how about cabonara? really easy to do...

fry half an onion in some oil...but dont let them burn...

then use pancetta or bacon (cut into lil bits) and fry with the onions

once they look cooked...add single cream...just the small tub is fine...and let it all simmer...

this can be prepared before hand...when ur ready... cook your pasta... any will do..but spaghetti/penne are the best..

boil water in a pan, add salt
    put in pasta (check packaging for cookin times)
    once the times up, try a piece of pasta to check if there is enough salt/cooked enough)
    drain very well
    chuck it in with the sauce... add 1 egg and mix all together on a low heat...

voila scrummy pasta =D

fancy any others...pm me =)

ReputationRep:
    Learn to cook pasta first! (rice is a bit trickier).
    There are tons of easy pasta-based recipes - it's something I always turn to when I'm lazy.

Can of tomatoes + half onion (sliced) + salt/butter/some basil.
    (you could also add a splash of cream, some aubergine, courgette and garlic) - just chuck everything into a pot, heat at medium/stir til the sauce starts to bubble (30 mins or so), then add to the pasta.

Pasta + canned tuna + canned sweetcorn (drain) + mayonnaise = served cold

Pasta + stir-in jar of pesto sauce

(then you can progress to things like macaroni cheese and pasta carbonara)

(I'm assuming of course, that you know how to make pasta itself - I had to teach my flatmates last year, :lol:).

Potatoes are also a good start.

ReputationRep:
    Most packaged food comes with cooking instructions - the likes of rice and pasta actually come with recipes for meals like paella/risotto/bolognese.

Go to a charity shop/used book shop and look for cooking books.

ReputationRep:
    Just eat peanut butter straight out of the jar.

ReputationRep:
    You have internet, why not look it up online?

ReputationRep:
    curry is the easiest thing in the world to make!!

ReputationRep:
    Buy a Breville. Best piece of advice you'll get all day. All you need is different fillings (usually cheese and some form of meat) Serve with oven chips, smilies, or wedges. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Learn to make a stew. Cook one night per week and use the left-overs fro the rest of the week. There are ready meals as well plus you can try looking for a simple cookbook.

ReputationRep:
    Why not google it? A lot of sites give out free recipes, or you could buy a student cook book. Maybe try watching a few cooking shows?

Baked potatoes are pretty simple. Coat potato with some oil and salt, prick a few holes in it with a fork, throw it in the oven (which makes the skin all crispy and nice) or in the microwave (which cooks it a lot faster, but isn't quite as tasty). When you can stick a knife in it easily and it gets all the way to the centre, it's cooked. Usually I'd give it about seven or eight minutes in the microwave then put it in the oven for twenty minutes at about 170 degrees to finish it off. Baked potatoes are good with a billion toppings, so you can get a bit of variety. Cheese, bacon, baked beans, cottage cheese and chives, curry, chilli con carne...

Pasta's pretty quick and easy too - just cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. If you don't want to buy sauce, making your own is pretty easy too, just google a basic tomato sauce recipe. I use a food processor when I make mine, but obviously you can improvise! The ingredients I use are: a tin of tomatoes, some italian herbs, tomato puree, some sugar, an onion, a little celery if I've got it, garlic, and a little butter at the end to finish it off. Cook the chopped onion and celery and crushed garlic in butter to soften them, then add the other ingredients (after chopping or processing the tomatoes) and leave to simmer. The longer you leave it to simmer, the nicer it is - and you can freeze some of the sauce for later. Adding sausage or bacon is good as well.

ReputationRep:
    Learn to read the packet or jar.

ReputationRep:
    Curry;

go to the butchers and buy some diced chicken,
    put the diced chicken in a pan with some oil until it is starting to brown,
    add a jar of curry sauce and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes
    uncle ben's 2 minute basmati rice

Chicken in white wine sauce - Knorrs Chicken Tonight does a nice sauce. Same as above with rice.

Spaghetti.Pasta Carbonara - I cheat by using a sachet. Cook pasta for about 10-15 minutes, put in colander, fry some bacon, add pasta back to pan, add sauce and leave to warm.

I could go on and on with my recipes but I'm tired now. Hope I helped though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inspirational912)
    curry is the easiest thing in the world to make!!
    This is a lie.

On another note it'd take someone very special to eff up 2 min noodles-- like me.

ReputationRep:
    George Foreman + sausages and/or bacon = sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks.

ReputationRep:
    Go out and get a good housekeeping cookbook. It'll show you the basics.

Cooking is really not hard, I do wonder how people struggle with it.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a toastie machine, microwave chips, frozen pizzas.. ready meals?? You can get fairly healthy ready meals, just check the salt & fat content.

Jacket potatoes are the easiest thing in the world. Shove it in the oven for an hour and you're done!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.