Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an undergraduate essay - Practising human geography means 'seeing the world sometimes as a scientist, sometimes as an artist' (Rogers & Viles 2003). Discuss.

This has sort of came up out of the blue for several reasons and I've two weeks to get it done but I'm unsure where to start with this. I think it's a rather interesting question but something I've never considered before so was just looking to see if anyone has any ideas to help me out.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Talk to an IB student
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would say it's more of an art in the sense that it's not very definitive, but you apply scientific methods to it when investigating.

The fact that you're writing an essay where you can argue either way would suggest that it is more of an art than a science. I assume you're studying (human) geography?

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's human geography the essays for. I'm thinking along the same lines. Mainly an art but with science used as a research tool throughout. Think that will be the path I go down on this one but I'm finding it difficult to find articles or ideas by others as a basis for my arguement.

ReputationRep:
    Art. Human geographers use mostly qualitative rather than quantitative data like us physical geographers use.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I could touch on research methods like qualititative and quantitative.

ReputationRep:
    You could 'touch' on research methods? Jeez. All the advice given in this thread is fairly terrible. It's important to examine the epistemologies and ontologies favoured in contemporary human geography and look at how these influence the practice of research. If you read most human geography journals there is very little 'science as a research tool', it's primarily influenced by social theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    You could 'touch' on research methods? Jeez. All the advice given in this thread is fairly terrible. It's important to examine the epistemologies and ontologies favoured in contemporary human geography and look at how these influence the practice of research. If you read most human geography journals there is very little 'science as a research tool', it's primarily influenced by social theory.
    Unfortunately you dragged a good post through the mud with your first sentence.

Human geography is such a reductionist label. The term fails to distinguish between highly progressive social science and irrelevant artistic intepretations seen in much of cultural geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjamoon)
    Unfortunately you dragged a good post through the mud with your first sentence.

Human geography is such a reductionist label. The term fails to distinguish between highly progressive social science and irrelevant artistic intepretations seen in much of cultural geography.
    Oh wow. What are some examples of this 'highly progressive social science'? I m willing to bet it involves NUMBERZZ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkbar)
    Oh wow. What are some examples of this 'highly progressive social science'? I m willing to bet it involves NUMBERZZ.
    If the 'PHD 2009-2012...' part of your signature is actually true, then your maturity comes as quite a suprise. Either that or you've become tainted and sold out to the aggressive and self righteous posting style of the many TSR plastic academic warriors. With that said, i'd rather not discuss anything with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjamoon)
    If the 'PHD 2009-2012...' part of your signature is actually true, then your maturity comes as quite a suprise. Either that or you've become tainted and sold out to the aggressive and self righteous posting style of the many TSR plastic academic warriors. With that said, i'd rather not discuss anything with you.
    It is true, however I spend enough time taking academia seriously as a day job so it's more fun to be a polemicist on here.
    I still want to know what highly progressive social science is though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.