Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)
    I'm not trying to be stupid, but does true love actually exist? Or is it just a chemical reaction?
    Science is quite beautiful, just because something can be explained by science, doesnt mean it should be diminished

ReputationRep:
    I say that, above all, it comes down to ego. Something about their ego appealed to you suffiently to make you fall in love with them. For some, it may be because they are so humble, for others because they are arrogant and rude. Whatever character traits made you fall head over heels may be a complete turn off to some other people.
    There are some people that nearly everyone loves because it feels just right. Ronnie Corbett- he's lovely and talented. But in some cases it's just an intense infatuation because you found someone who appears 'in the same boat as you' who likes the same bands etc. You then put up a barrier to other people.

Ah I'm probably complaining because if I found someone on the same boat as me I'd be scared to death of them.

At first I didn't until I found a guy I genuinely loved :love:

ReputationRep:
    Having been with my bf with 5 years I can say it does exist.What I feel is unconditional,connection we have is hard to put it words.This feeling is from deep within,therefore in my situation at least I think love exists.

Some people though rush into thinking/saying they love someone without actually knowing whether its really love,or just temporary attraction.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be stupid, but does true love actually exist? Or is it just a chemical reaction? Or a psychological reaction (i.e. man wants hot wife. woman wants rich man) Sorry, that's really cras, but I think it gets the point across.

Anyway, the reasons I give are that firstly, it's clear people often get it wrong - hence divorce is so common. Does this mean love can die and if so, does this imply it is just a transient state of mind?

Secondly, there does seem to be correlation between very wealthy men who have very attractive wives, even if the husbands lack both looks and charm (Wayne Rooney?).

I have never been in love so don't know if it does exist. I am more Romantic that I let on...I'm terrified that love is just a word or concept created by the poets.

Someone enlighten me, please...
    I completely agree with you 100%

If there's such a thing as love, then how come people change and drift apart from eachother. Why do people cheat on one another? Shouldn't love be eternal?! Also how can people in arranged marriages grow to love eachother if they weren't attracted to eachother to start off with? (I use this example because I have seen it happen a lot, No offence to anyone!)

ReputationRep:
    Never felt it really, so difficult to say.

Those who have been hurt (Still hurting) will say no.

Those in a loving relationship or those who still await one with open hearts will say yes.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't exist if you don't believe it does.

If you do think it exists you're likely to trick yourself into believing you have found it.

Whether it exists or not is highly debatable.

ReputationRep:
    Its as real as you want to make it.

ReputationRep:
    It exists, but few are ever lucky enough to obtain it. At least in our society where shallowness, money and popularity prevail over kindness, honesty and caring (especially for guys, a guy who is actively perceived to be caring and is not gay is just weak.... yet if you act hard then you're just a d1ck.. wtf?!). You see the thing is, we all desire kindness, honesty and caring from a partner/people on a deeper/subconcious level (depending on the individual and their level of maturity) but everybody is too damn petrified so we live out all these alter-egos who protect our true human identities by conforming to the social norm and trying to fit in. It really does suffocate the human spirit, if such a thing does exist.

It's really ****ed up and sad and its another spanner in the cogs of life that be love. I suggest if you ever actually want to experience love without being desperate and actively seeking it out then you should move to another country. One where promisicuity and shallowness are less accepted and things like family orientation and community are more culturally encouraged. In such countries (often less developed) the people are nicer, and as a result the potential for you to find love in a person who is subjectively "great" to you is dramatically increased.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to be stupid, but does true love actually exist? Or is it just a chemical reaction? Or a psychological reaction (i.e. man wants hot wife. woman wants rich man) Sorry, that's really cras, but I think it gets the point across.

Anyway, the reasons I give are that firstly, it's clear people often get it wrong - hence divorce is so common. Does this mean love can die and if so, does this imply it is just a transient state of mind?

Secondly, there does seem to be correlation between very wealthy men who have very attractive wives, even if the husbands lack both looks and charm (Wayne Rooney?).

I have never been in love so don't know if it does exist. I am more Romantic that I let on...I'm terrified that love is just a word or concept created by the poets.

Someone enlighten me, please...
    well, i'd say it is real. as for what causes you to feel that way, well if it is 'just' a chemical reaction, then it's still real... it's most likely a combination of the two, psychological factors causing biological changes in the brain, however, i'm no expert in neuroscience so i don't know that just having a guess, but it'd make sense.

ReputationRep:
    I dont believe people under like say 22-23 can really be in love. Some people may genuienly think they are in love but personally I believe most people are too selfish around this age to truly be in love.

Especially them douchbag 16 year old facebook girls who post **** like 'Love my hubby so much'. Shaataap man, only been together for 3 days.

ReputationRep:
    Well from my experience and in my opinion I would personally have to say. Love is real, real is love, Love is feeling, feeling love, Love is wanting to be loved. Love is touch, touch is love,
    Love is reaching, reaching love, Love is asking to be loved. Love is you, You and me, Love is knowing,We can be. Love is free, free is love, Love is living, living love, Love is needing to be loved. But I wouldnt quote me on it...because Im a pervert nad I just get ahrd around hot girls and I like blowjobs

blowjobs>love

ReputationRep:
    I think love as a word is very hard to define. I'm going to try and post my own relationship as an example:
    We must have been about 16/17 when we first met, and it was about a month after that I realised that I liked him - but didn't want to mess things up, so we were best friends up until we were about 18, when we got together.
    Now, because we live together and are literally the first and last people that we see everyday, I'd say that our love isn't that all consuming "heart pounding, butterflies in stomach, palms sweating, can't eat or sleep" love. But it's more that we just have a wavelength thing going on and have been known to finish each other's sentences.

I was a little confused about my own definition of love up until recently, but when a drunken guy was in my boyfriend's face looking for a fight - my first reaction was to pull my boyfriend behind me before I had realised what was going on. I think that was the point when I realised that I'd truly lay down my own life to protect his, and that it wasn't just an idealised story I had told myself.

Surely there has to be more to it than just chemical reactions? I don't know, maybe I'm just too naive to be a cynic on the matter...

ReputationRep:
    It's real in the sense that it's a pysiological and chemical reaction to a person or persons in order to form some kind of bond.

But, if you're talking about 'true love' - the idea that 'the one' is out there for all of us, then no, I don't believe that's real. That idea falls down at the first hurdle, by pure geography.

take all the people who say that they've found 'the one' 'their soulmate' etc, and see how close geograpically their soulmate was to them. I'm sure it's pure coincidence that 99% of these people's soulmate happens to have been from within a 100 mile radius of where they live.

I appreciate that some people do find 'true love' with someone from half the world away, and if there truly was someone out there for everyone, sometimes, it WOULD turn out to be your next door neighbour.

but there's no chance you could ever hope to meet the hundreds of millions of eligible partners for you in your lifetime, so to believe that you've found the one, even if you've met and gotten to know thousands is statistically improbable.

I'd say that in order to believe in love as anything other than a physiological and chemical reaction would REQUIRE you to suspend reason in the same way that relgion requires. you'd have to believe in some 'force of love' or deity guiding you to the one, otherwise, your chances of ever meeting your 'soulmate' are infinitesimal.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.