Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has got IBS and if they know of what works best..

I have it, not too bad i think, but i've been stressed about going back to uni, and had to miss lectures today cause i was in so much pain

It's starting to get me down quite a bit cause this isn't the first time it's had negative effects on my uni work / life.

If anyone has any experience with it, and knows anything that helps alleviate the symptoms, I'd like to here

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed with IBS when I was 17. I tend to know these days what to avoid (ie stress) and how to calm it (ie Mint capsules). You can get peppermint capsules called Colpermin from most chemists but they're not cheap and they don't work for everyone.

Just try and keep calm, eat calming foods - I find carbs and spicy foods to be particularly unhelpful when I'm 'IBS-ey'

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i have it daily, combined with other things. Try Buscopan, it works for me. I find the peppermint stuff does only on days when it's not too bad.
    Also, heat patches under clothes are amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I take buscapan and cocodamol, prescribed by my gp but its controlling the pain well and diaorrhea

ReputationRep:
    I have it. I went to the doctors and got given mebeverine and buscopan. Mebeverine is pretty useless to me but buscopan works. I also use loperamide . Staying de-stressed at all costs helps. It's easy to worry about stuff like uni, but I just think, my health is most important I need to be calm ..

ReputationRep:
    I have that + mood disorder.

For me it gets VERY bad sometimes, especially when I'm depressed. I take buscopan tablets when I feel nauseous, SOMETIMES though. I also take two Mintec capsules. Another thing that works is just sitting down and doing something you love an drinking a nice cup of your hot drink, as you are just relaxing. I mean, that's great.

ReputationRep:
    I have a suspicion that I might have IBS, can anyone tell me how it's diagnosed? I've been put on tablets to relieve the symptoms but they don't seem to be working

There are loads of websites that give you advice on what foods to avoid, so I think a total diet overhaul might be the best solution. I've also read that stress can trigger it, so it might be an idea to take time out of the day to try and relax.

Not necessarily for IBS but for my peace of mind, I've found meditation extremely relaxing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone here has got IBS and if they know of what works best..

I have it, not too bad i think, but i've been stressed about going back to uni, and had to miss lectures today cause i was in so much pain

It's starting to get me down quite a bit cause this isn't the first time it's had negative effects on my uni work / life.

If anyone has any experience with it, and knows anything that helps alleviate the symptoms, I'd like to here

Cheers
    I've had it for just over 10 years and was diagnosed about 2 and a half years ago. Mebeverine tablets (which I got from the doctor) and Yogi's Stomach Ease tea always seem to work for me and I can get it quite badly. Like everyone else, trying to de-stress with relaxation techniques/meditation is also a good idea Have you let your lecturers know? I found mine were quite sympathetic.

Felt the need to mention and edit my post after seeing some more posts as well: There are different types and people react in different ways. Some people say things like ginger and more fibre etc helps them but in my case it makes things 10 times worse. Might be worth trying to figure out anything else that might aggravate it for you.

(Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    I have a suspicion that I might have IBS, can anyone tell me how it's diagnosed?
    I got told by my doctor when I was diagnosed that it's mainly a process of eliminating the possibility of other things first. I had a blood test to check for things like Coeliac Disease and he asked about my family history. The last step was supposed to be looking inside to see what's going on but they didn't do that with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    I have a suspicion that I might have IBS, can anyone tell me how it's diagnosed? I've been put on tablets to relieve the symptoms but they don't seem to be working

There are loads of websites that give you advice on what foods to avoid, so I think a total diet overhaul might be the best solution. I've also read that stress can trigger it, so it might be an idea to take time out of the day to try and relax.

Not necessarily for IBS but for my peace of mind, I've found meditation extremely relaxing..

Its a diagnosis of elimination.

I got some blood tests done, and then a colonoscopy to test for IBD. I'm also currently being tested for celiac aswell- but waiting to see consultant in october about that.

At the end of the day I find for me diet is only part of the problem, but its an individual thing of what works for you

ReputationRep:
    I have it too.
    I don't like taking tablets though. I got some Mebeverine which I have on days that it's particularly bad, but I generally don't take it. I do take Rennies quite a bit as they settle my stomach down.
    I find that it's definitely worsened by stress. Like right now I am seriously stressed about money. :/
    A good diet helps, I have two Weetabix every morning and make sure I eat plenty of vegetables, this seems to keep it at bay.

It's basically diagnosed by a process of elimination. I've been to Doctors a few times because of it. They poked and prodded at my stomach for a while and then listened through a stethoscope... apparently from that they could tell that it wasn't anything "serious" and told me it's IBS. My doctor at Uni actually has IBS as well lol so he's really sympathetic unlike some doctors who dismiss it as a nonsense condition.

ReputationRep:
    I was diagnosed at 17 but they reckon I had it a lot younger but put it down to anxiety attacks wtf! Mine is mainly triggered when stressed and not eating properly. I have just come back from holiday where I had my first attack in a year or so as I werent eating a decent diet just mostly eating greasy pizza etc. With me I treat mine with mebervine and relaxation techniques. I find breathing in fresh air through nose and out through mouth helps. Also shouting at myself to stop being silly and pull myself through also helps. My symptoms were mostly stomach cramps and being loose.

I also found ginger to be helpful! you can buy ginger sweets from good newsagents which I found to be useful and inexpensive

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.