Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi having a few issues with UCAS.

I am looking to enter into the 2011 year at uni but want to apply to do 2 completely different courses. I want to apply to 2 university's doing a motorcycle engineering course and 3 uni's doing a pharmacology course.
    The problem is that the two different courses will require completely different statements, and (from what i understand) you have to write one statement for all 5 uni choices. Any way around this.

Also I doing an IMI level 3 diploma in motorcycle (engineering/ or maintenance & repair - dont know the exact course title, will find out tomorrow at college). I dont know whether this is a BTEC diploma or not...

I'm also doing 3 fast track A levels in one year biology, math and psychology, but don't know whether to mention this in my engineering application as it is added pressure - if I f**k up my a levels i can fall back on the diploma, but if they give in my terms i need passes in a levels and a diploma i have no fall back plan.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben616)
    Hi having a few issues with UCAS.

I am looking to enter into the 2011 year at uni but want to apply to do 2 completely different courses. I want to apply to 2 university's doing a motorcycle engineering course and 3 uni's doing a pharmacology course.
    The problem is that the two different courses will require completely different statements, and (from what i understand) you have to write one statement for all 5 uni choices. Any way around this.

Also I doing an IMI level 3 diploma in motorcycle (engineering/ or maintenance & repair - dont know the exact course title, will find out tomorrow at college). I dont know whether this is a BTEC diploma or not...

I'm also doing 3 fast track A levels in one year biology, math and psychology, but don't know whether to mention this in my engineering application as it is added pressure - if I f**k up my a levels i can fall back on the diploma, but if they give in my terms i need passes in a levels and a diploma i have no fall back plan.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    You need to make up your mind. There's no way you can write a credible PS for both courses. Better to make your mind up now than later, for all sorts of reasons (ending up with neither option being the strongest).

You have to mention all your exam plans - how can a uni make a sensible judgement about your application if you don't? It is unlikely that your motorcycle qualification would be taken into account let alone included in any offer for pharmacology. For the engineering course, it is probable that you would be given an offer that reflected one or the other but not both. Either way, you don't have the option to omit the information as UCAS requires you to provide it.

ReputationRep:
    could i apply to 3 uni's write a statement for pharmacology and wait and see if I get an offer, If i dont receive any offers, or decline the offers. Would I be able to go back, change my statement and apply for 2 unis to do an engineering course?

ReputationRep:
    could i apply to 3 uni's write a statement for pharmacology and wait and see if I get an offer, If i dont receive any offers, or decline the offers. Would I be able to go back, change my statement and apply for 2 unis to do an engineering course?
    No, but you can e-mail unis and ask them if you can submit a PS to them via e-mail. You can do that for your original application as well, rather than wait to see what offers you get.

ReputationRep:
    No, once your personal statement is done and you've sent off the applications unfortunately you cant change anything on it. Try writing a generic one, I applied for psychology and biomedical sciences (yet still had to go through clearing) but I couldnt send off my application more than once.

ReputationRep:
    Motorcycle Engineering... Pharmacology... Decisions, decisions!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you could do this. While you can't change the PS that's on your application, you can ask the unis if they will accept an updated/revised one to reflect your 'new' course choice. This has to be sent directly to the uni, not through UCAS.

If you apply for pharmacology now you might have decisions in time for the 15 January deadline, but you might not, though this wouldn't prevent you from adding in the engineering choices before 15 January. The thing to remember is that the unis will see the original PS as well as anything they let you submit separately (but of course your pharmacology choices will only see the original one).

ReputationRep:
    So if i apply to 2 uni's to do an engineering degree, then apply to 3 uni's say a month later to do a pharmacology degree and submit a revised statement to them outside UCAS (if they let me), will the engineering uni's be able to see that I have applied to do a completely irrelevant degree a month later?

I'm 90% sure i can get into an engineering uni, but i literally have no idea whether a pharmacology course would even accept me, as well as that I've got to sit AS/A level in 1 year which is going to be a challenge so I don't know how thats going to go till after january when i get my AS marks.

I would much rather do pharmacology, but I have no idea if I would get accepted or even pass A levels so it seems silly sending off to 5 uni's to do pharmacology with no back up plan.

ReputationRep:
    So if i apply to 2 uni's to do an engineering degree, then apply to 3 uni's say a month later to do a pharmacology degree and submit a revised statement to them outside UCAS (if they let me), will the engineering uni's be able to see that I have applied to do a completely irrelevant degree a month later?

I'm 90% sure i can get into an engineering uni, but i literally have no idea whether a pharmacology course would even accept me, as well as that I've got to sit AS/A level in 1 year which is going to be a challenge so I don't know how thats going to go till after january when i get my AS marks.

I would much rather do pharmacology, but I have no idea if I would get accepted or even pass A levels so it seems silly sending off to 5 uni's to do pharmacology with no back up plan.
    Then this is what you should apply for. Why else are you even attempting to do the A levels? You stand much more of a chance of getting offers for pharmacology if that is what your application is focused on. Unis can't withdraw offers because they don't like where else you have applied - even if they could see, which they can't until all your decisions are in. By all means limit it to three of your choices if you want, then if you don't get offers or are still waiting for a decision on 15 January, you can approach the unis offering the engineering course saying that you have changed your mind about your course choice and would they be willing to look at a revised PS?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.